3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   How much water do you drink? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/132914-how-much-water-do-you-drink.html)

K-boogie 01-29-2008 05:07 PM

How much water do you drink?

Okay so I'm sure you've all heard it before regarding water and drinking 8 glasses a day and even more. Then again I've read where there is no magic number just don't allow yourself to get dehydrated and drink when you're thirsty (which was actually posted by Molly Gee the dietician from Biggest Loser) on the Q&A thread.

So my question is how much do you drink and is there a reason behind it? Do you notice a difference?

HeatherAngel 01-29-2008 06:03 PM

A minimum of two litres a day. This works well for me. If I have done a long run (10K or more) I will add another litre in, easily.

EDIT: Ooops - I'm not on SBD though.

TechieGrrl09 01-29-2008 06:15 PM

Honestly, not enough. I drink about 8-10 cups a day. I try to always drink the 8 cups but I feel better when I drink a lot more than that.

Schmoodle 01-29-2008 06:20 PM

That's okay Heather. I don't think this is a SB specific question. I don't recall any water rules in the book, maybe just a recommendation to drink plenty.

I have a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle that I fill in the morning and sip down by lunchtime. I may or may not have another glass of water later in the day if I'm thirsty. I have a cup of coffee in the AM and some kind of drink in the afternoon (tea or coffee or milk). Most days I have some kind of soup. This seems to be enough for me. My skin feels great and I don't have sinus headaches as long as I drink this much. I have a harder time on the weekends and if I go a day or two, my sinuses start to dry out.

I'm not a big fan of guzzling gallons of water. For one, it makes me sick to my stomach, and also I don't see the need for it.

leah_0600 01-29-2008 06:27 PM

i can only withstand 6 glasses (about 48oz) per day...my stomach just won't hold any more than that, and i don't want to force it if it doesn't want more!

WeightSmasher 01-29-2008 06:33 PM

I added my water intake and I drink about 150oz of water a day. I have a big cup at my desk and as soon as I drink it I fill it back up. I go to the bathroom every half hour but it makes me feel really good.

cottagebythesea 01-29-2008 06:45 PM

I'm terrible about drinking plain old water. I make sure I drink a big glass with my lunch and supper, but in between meals it just doesn't appeal to me. I do drink lots of coffee and tea all day, though, and that does count. Like Schmoodle, if I drink too much water it actually makes me feel sick.

missinmysoldier78 01-29-2008 06:55 PM

I drink 100 oz per day. I really feel alot better when I do and it helps reduce tension headaches to boot!

tomandkara 01-29-2008 07:10 PM

I drink anywhere between 64 and 100+ ounces a day, depending on how much exercise I do.

Kara

femmecreole 01-30-2008 06:00 AM

I've read that you should drink 1/2 your weight in water every day. I am terrible about it. So, I bought a "water bottle" that calculates it for you. The bottle is pretty neat. It calculates how much you should drink, then it calculates how much you drank and gives you a read out of how much you've had percentage wise, time wise, how much you drink per hour etc. Actually, it's just a neat toy, but it motivates me to drink more.

tomandkara 01-30-2008 07:35 AM

Just to clarify, you take your weight in pounds and divide by two, and that's the number of ounces of water to drink in a day.

Tom heard the same thing at some briefing they gave on base a couple years ago. Sounds about accurate for me on a rest day, but when I exercise I definitely need more than that.

Kara

jillybean720 01-30-2008 08:09 AM

I'm pretty sure the South Beach book actually gives an amount of how much you should drink (at least) each day. I don't have my book here at the office with me, but I'll check when I get home later.

I drink about 3 liters a day. I don't do it intentionally, though--I just have a 1.5 liter bottle that I fill up and sip throughout the day at my office, and I usually end up going through 2 of them just during my 8 hours at work. At home, I normally drink skim milk or diet soda with dinner, and I have a glass of V8 in the morning.

GONNABE165 01-30-2008 01:53 PM

I drink around a gallon sometimes more a day - I love water & it's the only thing that gets rid of the thirsty feeling

jillybean720 01-30-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 2027724)
I'm pretty sure the South Beach book actually gives an amount of how much you should drink (at least) each day. I don't have my book here at the office with me, but I'll check when I get home later.

I lied :p Dr. A mentions 2-3 quarts of water per day, but that's not HIS recommendation, just what he says is typically recommended.

THE Heather 01-30-2008 08:03 PM

Personally I drink about 130 oz a day. I love the way water makes my body feel. I could easily drink more if my schedule allowed it, but 130 works for me :D