What is your calorie intake?

• I wanted to know what is your daily calorie intake? Are you counting the calories? I know in the SB book there is no standard calorie number but does it not play a role?
  • I tracked calories for a while when I first started Ph2. I did it because I needed some education about portions and also because I can be a control freak at times. After about 3 months I stopped because it just got to be too much work. So I'm not sure exactly how many calories I am eating now, but when I was tracking it averaged 1800/day. It does play a role because calories in - calories out = weight loss or gain. But with SB, if you don't go over recommended quantities of controlled foods (fats, nuts, etc.) recommended and unlimited veggies, you will be around the right range.
  • I keep mine around 1300 a day, but my weight is on the lower end and I'm having to keep it that low to see any loss. Once I get rid of this jiggly belly, I'll be playing with that number a bit more to see where my maintanance level is.

Kara
  • In order for me to lose, I need to keep it between 1400 and 1500 and that seems to do the trick, thought when I plateau then I actually have to up calories to start the scale moving again.
  • I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day! When I first saw the weight dropping during phase 1, I never really felt the need to know.
  • Even in P1, I keep mine around 1500. Same with when I was in P2 last year. It still gives you a large enough amount of food and room to play with calories if you stop losing. Plus, if you're hungry and feel the need to go over you can also.
  • I keep under 1800 , as Shmoodle stated if you are staying in range with the other things you wont go over. I am still losing (2lbs last week) and thats my goal 2lbs a week, you have to adjust it to your body.
  • Quote: I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day! When I first saw the weight dropping during phase 1, I never really felt the need to know.
    Same for me, though I have a feeling it's in the lower range. I'm losing well, but feeling full with absolutely no cravings, even when baking cookies and cake for family.
  • Okay so I took the menus from Phase 1 in the SB book and plugged in each food in sparkspeople (just like fitday) to see what the total calorie count was and also carb count.

It came out to 795 calories and 23 g of carbs.

Now I am following Phase 1 suggestions very closely so I know that my calorie intake is no where near 1200.

Some argue it's not the calories but rather the number of carbs and sugar some argue otherwise.
  • when I did phase 1 my calories were between 1200 & 1500 most days and then on phase 2 they are between 1500 & 2000. I really don't travk my calories as you don't have to with the south beach just watch portions & sometimes I have a hard time with that
  • Okay I have my book with me (yeah I'm at work and should be working)
    but I am really trying to figure this calorie thing out I need to make sure I'm eating enough.

So I took Day 4 menu and used the calorie info from the recipes in the book and it added up to 1366 calorie and 59.2 carbs.

I also did Day 1...1,095 27.4 carbs
    Day 2... 1,692.7 71.4 carbs
    Day 3... 1,728.6 59.2 carbs

So I'm confused about what I put in sparkspeople and got the numbers I did which were way less then above.

Oh! so I stand corrected
  • I have been on SB since Jan 3. I went through phase I and only lost 4 lbs.
    Since then I have only lost 1 lb. I am getting somewhat discouraged! I have been excersizing 3-4 days a week and following the plan. I really don't think that I am eating too much. The same thing happened to me the last time I tried SB. I went 3mths and only lost 8 lbs. I am now second guessing everything I eat it seems. Does this diet really come down to counting calories for some people??