Avocados?

• Are they OK? If so, which phase? Couldn't find them listed in any of my books except used to make dressing.... Thanks !
  • I believe avocados are okay, but in moderation. They are fairly high in fat if I remember correctly. The site I found them on when I was searching for this same information suggested 1/3 avocado/day. Some other chicks probably have a better answer though
  • I think the serving size is 1/4 of an avocado, but they are allowed on all Phases.
  • Great-thanks for the help. Just wanted to have a little with lunch tomorrow
  • They are on the food lists but I think they are listed under fats. I just ate half of one tonight, oops. Well, I'm the only one that eats them, and it wouldn't keep for four days once I cut it!
  • I just ate 1/2 of one today too! Oops!

Live and learn. =)
  • Here is what it says in the SBD Quick and Easy cookbook, "Avacados provide vitamin C and folate. Their fat is mostly monounsaturated, which is helpful in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, but because they are high in calories, you'll want to limit your daily intake to about 0ne-quarter of a whole avacado" (Agatston, p.6, 2005). Cottagebytheresa was correct. It also does say it is good during all phases.

The book also suggests using avacado in place of butter as a spread, so it is definitely on the fats list.

I love avacado every now and again as a treat. Down here they are too pricey to eat often. When I made my homemade baby food Avacado is the first solids that both of my girls ate. They still love fresh avacado.
  • I'll use half of an avocado at a time, but only eat them maybe once a week, so I figure it's spread out enough that that half isn't going to affect me that much.

Kara
  • thanks all- I limited myself to about 1/3 of one -was the most restraint I could muster up during this first week! ( I love avocados!!) Almost done with week 1, phase 1! One week to go until I can have fruit!