South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #1  

Default Questions about phase 1

I started this today. I am wondering is it ok to have some green tea? Also it says we can have some beans what about pinto it didnt mention them. Does anyone know of a good balsamic vinegarette or greek dressing that is good for phase one. I made the dressing in the book and it was gross. Also what about onions it says no where about onions or olives? I had a greek salad with some kalamata olives. I hope this helps with my stomach bloted and fatness.

ANother challenge I have is next Monday I am invited to a girls night at a fancy fondue restaurant. I have to cheat a little becuase this is the only time in my life I will get to go. I thought I could just do the phase one a week longer and I would be fine. I wont cheat other than that I am determined.
lanagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lana! Welcome to the forum! This is a great place and you have some great questions!

There is a terrific thread in the stickies of the South Beach FAQs that has an updated Phase 1 food list. The book is years old and since it's been published, there have been changes to the plan, so you can find all of those things on this site.

Green tea is fine. Choose decaf if you can.

Pinto beans are also fine. Make sure there is no sugar added if you are buying canned, and always rinse canned beans to reduce the sodium.

The only things you have to watch out for when buying dressings are sugars and starches. I prefer to make my own dressings (which usually just consists of drizzling a little olive oil and balsalmic vinegar over my salad!). It's easy, and you can add whatever spices you prefer to the mix. Generally about a half tablespoon of olive oil and one teaspoon of vinegar should be sufficient for one salad.

Onions are fine. So are olives.

Phase 1 is designed to be a detox from simple carbs. In order for it to work, you need to follow it uninterupted for two full weeks. What you could do is put what you're doing now on hold (maybe add back in a couple starches, take the rest of this week as a trial for new recipes or something) and go to the night out and then do a full two weeks of Phase 1 after that. Phase 1 is supposed to only last for two weeks because it's not truly a nutritionally balanced plan, and that's acknowledged. The fruits and starches are taken out so your body can get rid of those sugar cravings, and then they're added back in one at a time so you can recognize which foods cause you to have cravings.

I hope that helps! Glad to have you on board!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote