Deli meat ?

• I saw deli meats on the list of allowed P1 foods, but I can't find a single brand or type of deli meat that doesn't have dextrose in the ingredients! Some of them say "less than 2% of," but that's the best I've been able to find. Is that ok, or can someone point me to a meat and/or brand that doesn't have any at all?

TIA and sorry to keep asking all this stuff!
  • Jennifer, no need to apologize about asking questions, I asked a million when I was starting out, and still ask a lot. This is an excellent question, I think. I have wondered this myself and I'm still not sure I'm buying the "right" kind of deli meat. I buy turkey and ham and stay away from anything with the word "honey" in it , and anything I know is sugar cured, but otherwise
    Thanks for asking; I look forward to hearing what the other chicks have to say about this.
  • As far as deli meat goes, I think anything that isn't processed, honey-baked or has sugar in it, or is high-fat, would be OK. I think Schmoodle is correct in saying that pretty much limits you to baked ham, baked turkey breast or baked chicken breast, roast beef, and roast pork.
  • Are the kinds from the deli counter any better than the prepackaged ones? I wonder if they have less preservatives.

Can't say from experience as I don't eat meat, but that thought popped in my head.

Kara
  • I seem to remember the South Beach seal on some Oscar Meyer packages of turkey breast I used to buy. I think it was the Mesquite flavored.
  • Thankyou murphmitch. I was racking my brain trying to figure out which one I saw at the store and it IS Oscar Meyer. They have an oven roasted turkey and probably lots of others. You can probably find all the nutritional info on Kraft's website as they distribute Oscar Meyer products.