Canned Corn Beef and South Beach

• I have a silly question.

Is canned corned beef acceptable in the South Beach Diet? From the little information on its nutritional contents, it doesn't seem to be so bad. For example Hormel canned corned beef has 10g of fat and 9g of carbohydrates. Are 10g and 9g a lot?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • I'd avoid it as it certainly isn't considered lean beef. We should be avoiding saturated fat as much as possible. The salt content is high as well at 20%. Can you post the actual ingredients?

I hope you find this post. I moved it out of the recipe section where all posts need to be moderator approved. In here it'll get more views.

And and to The Beach!
  • And, doesn't canned corned beef contain potato cubes? I've never bought the stuff, but I do seem to remember the seeing the picture on the can.
  • Quote: And, doesn't canned corned beef contain potato cubes? I've never bought the stuff, but I do seem to remember the seeing the picture on the can.
    Corned beef hash has potatoes but canned corned beef does not. (have never bought it, just know lol)
  • True-- try to keep your fat grams under or at 30% of your daily intake. 1 serving of hormels is 15% - half of a daily recommendation based on a 2000 calorie diet. Of that fat, 4 grams or 21% of it is Sat Fat . Sat and trans fat is what we should keep to a minimum.
    If you can hold your intake to the portion size recommended and understand the impact on your daily intake for the day, you could have it once in awhile.. heres what I got on Google:
    Saturated Fat 4g 21%
    Cholesterol 32mg 10%
    Sodium 425mg 17%
    Total Carboydrates 9g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 1g ~
    Sugars 0g ~
    Protein 9g 17%
  • Where did the carbs come from in canned corned beef? What else do they sneak in?