South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #1  
Sabbykay

S/C/G: 254/ 220.8 /140

Height: 5' 5"

Question Wendy's Taco Salad - HELP!

I had Wendy's Taco Salad today for lunch. I would like some thoughts on whether you all think it was a good choice.

I added only 1/2 the pack of sour cream and no dressing. The best part is the chili had 2 kinds of beans in it.

You can check out the nutritional information here:

http://www.wendys.com/food/NutritionLanding.jsp

Thoughts on this choice for lunch?

Sabby
Sabbykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Sabby I have eaten that salad before. I do not use any dressing or sour cream nor do I eat the corn chips that comes with it. I love there chili especially this time of year. However in my personal opinion I don't think it is a salad I would have all the time but there are worse options out there.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

When I want that kind of a salad from Wendy's, I get a side salad and a small chili. Just pour the chili on the salad. Easier on the wallet and the calories!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Sandi, now that's a good idea!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I looked at Wendy's web site , this salad has 680 calories!!! Too much for lunch.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I get the chili on the side and don't use the tortilla strips. NO sour cream - 1/2 packet reduced fat ranch dressing. Now it's down to about 475 calories but it still has too much fat - only have it once in awhile.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Sabby, that taco salad has way too many calories and fat in it! If you have to eat at Wendy's, I like Sandi's suggestion of ordering a side salad and a small cup of chili. Fast food restaurants are notorious for their fat, sodium and high fat content in their foods!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #8  
Sabbykay

S/C/G: 254/ 220.8 /140

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks guys for your advice.
I took some vitamins yesterday and must not have had my snack in my tummy, so I needed something substantial. One would think about 400-500 calories a meal is important. But you are right on the fat.

I'll stay clear of such salads unless I am in a pinch.

I appreciate your advice!

Sabby
Sabbykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, Sabby!

I used to always do what Sandi suggested and have the side salad and small chili. When I saw that the taco salad had the chili on it, I thought, "Hey, why not?" I've had it once or twice. I used the dressing and all the sour cream. Honestly, I almost never eat at fast food restaurants, but every so often (3 or 4 times a year at most) a friend wants to eat fast food, so I suggest Wendy's. Last time I had this salad, I had to know how many grams of protein it had, so I looked up the nut'l info online. YIKES!!! I was shocked (as I usually am ) at the amount of calories, fat, etc. Interestingly enough, the dressing (which I really, really like for the flavor and spice) isn't bad in terms of using good fat, and they actually use light sour cream! But the cheese and the fat in the chili must have a lot to do with the final calorie count. Needless to say, I won't be having that salad again...but I think I might ask for that dressing with my side salad next time!

Live and learn, eh? I hear you on the amount of calories for meals. Most of mine are around 4-500. Sometimes more! I think our blood sugar is more stable (and this is me talking as an uneducated dieter...not as a mod!) if we spread our calories more evenly throughout the day, though, huh? I also feel like I haven't gotten much in the way of healthy nutrients when I have salads at places like Wendy's, where they are basically iceburg lettuce, maybe three shreds of carrot and a tomato or two. So, like others said, it's something I do pretty rarelly. It's much more fun (and healthier) if I can get my friend to go to Panera for a salad or to Ruby Tuesday for the salad bar. Mmmm!

But please don't feel bad--we've ALL been there before.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #10  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

We are brainwashed into thinking salads are the best choice. But I too just started tracking some foods on dailyplate and was really suprised at the calories of the taco salad. And I don't eat the dressing, cream or strips. Still. Makes you go hmmm A light bulb moment for me...so maybe that's why I'm not loosing.
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote