South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #1  

Default New here and wanted to introduce myself!

Hi everyone, I've lurked around here for a few days and restarted SBD yesterday so I thought that my introducing myself I'd be more accountable!

I was on SBD years back lost about 20-25 pounds. Felt great kept it off for a few years but then last winter I was hit with SAD on top of the stress of the holidays - throw in lots of holiday goodies and well, here I am 10 pounds heavier. I haven't been able to drop the weight and since Halloween I have put on a couple more pounds. Yikes!!!! I decided that after Thanksgiving I was going to get back on track and do SBD right again. So here I am.

I had trouble sticking with SBD because I really don't care for meat much. So a big salad with grilled chicken for lunch then salmon for dinner was more than I could choke down. Any veggies out there, what are you eating? I will eat some meats I really can't deal with more than once per day. I also seem to be sensitive to refined carbs - once I start eating breads, cookies, etc. I literally can't stop myself. It is disturbing. SBD really helps with this.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to the beach! We are glad to have you. Good luck with your goals & be sure to keep us posted on your success
Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #3  
bnn

S/C/G: 127/117/110

Height: 5'1"

Hi Pumkinseed, good luck and welcome. I know that meat can be a little hard sometimes; is it the red meat you have trouble with? How about beans? If you heat a can of black beans and throw in some salsa that is really yummy on top of white meat chicken. I read its also good on fish. How about deli roast beef or turkey? I like to roll those up w/cheese (2% swiss) or spread laughing cow on it and roll it up. I don't know if you were looking for suggestions but I'm in the mood this a.m.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Pumpkinseed! Eating the South Beach way while avoiding meat is very doable. Two of our members, TomandKara and Weezle are vegetarians and will be able to give you some great ideas and recipes. Also, check out the South Beach cookbooks, you should be able to find them at your local library. They have recipe sections in them for vegetarian meals that are scrumptious.
I eat very little meat, and no red meat at all. I really like all the Morningstar brand burgers, and Boca burgers are pretty good, too. You can also build your meals around beans and lowfat cheeses, and add them to salads. And don't forget to include dairy as an important part of your diet. Good luck!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 11-26-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Pumpkinseed and
Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #6  

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I need to spend some time reading up on new recipe ideas! Last time I was in phase 1 it was summer - now that it is winter I have plans to eat lots of chili and bean based soups - that should make it easier. Also things like eggplant parm should be good - prepared in an sbd friendly way of course. Of course suggestions are always welcome, so keep them coming

I'll be popping in here when I start craving bread and butter - which will be fairly often until I get these cravings under control
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, Pumpkinseed!

I'd be glad to post more later about veggie ideas--things that come to mind are beans, tempeh, tofu, Morningstar products, and grains like quinoa. Not to mention cheese and yogurt (especially Kefir).

For SAD, have you tried a sunlamp? Mine has literally saved my sanity in the winter!

Glad to have you with us!
Old 11-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Welcome Pumpkin seed, you have come to the right spot for ideas and motivation (oh and a good swift kick in the pants if you need it, gosh knows I do on many days!)

We are here for you!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome pumpkinseed!

I'm also a vegetarian, though a relative newbie to the Beach (started 10/1). I eat lots of seitan (homemade or the chicken style); Boca burgers and links more than Morningstar (less fat); beans, beans, beans; and tempeh (especially the bacon) and tofu. We also have some Worthington stuff when we can find it and Quorn roast and naked cutlets in moderation.With eggs in the morning and occasionally LF or FF dairy that seems to be more than enough. FitDay has really helped me track what I'm getting and identified what I need.

How's the first day going?
Cyndi
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

pumpkinseed. You're going to do great. Everyone here is so supportive and they really know their recipes. Good Luck
Closed Thread