South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Oooooh, I have an idea!

Have any of you tried something like this?

After "gaining" six pounds over the weekend (my ticker is *not* reflecting this because I do not actually believe I can gain six pounds - that's 21,000 calories over maintenance or something ridiculous like that!) I have just come up with an idea. I think starting next month I am going to try staying at the same calorie count every day and weighing myself every morning. I figure if I track my weight for a month and keep track of where I am in my cycle I might have a better idea of when to expect a slower loss or inconsistency in the scale numbers every month. Then, I can just avoid the scale for those days and not get frustrated. Having the "scientific" approach, I think, will help me stay with my goal and not be tempted to splurge on something silly.

We'll see. It will be an interesting little experiment.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #2  

It is probably water retention. Try dandelion root capsules. They are a natural diuretic. Just don't take one right before you go to bed. You'll be peeing all night!!
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

You know any good, natural remedies for the grumpies???

Kara
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Kara,
I kind of did this. I was tracking calories on Fitday until recently, so I had four months very well documented. My calorie target range was 1300 - 1600 calories/day. Most days I was right in the middle. If I was under, I would eat something after dinner. Fitday tracks your loss average, and mine has stayed at just under 2 lbs./wk. But on occasion I would have a maintenance week - no loss. Looking at the weight loss graph over those few months, I noticed that sure enough, it was always the week that ended around the beginning of my TOM (sorry, Tom). Then the next week I would show a 3 - 4 lbs. loss. So, it's definitely cycle-related for me. It helps to know that and not expect a loss that week, knowing that I can look forward to a "payback" the next week. And knowing that, sometimes I just skip the weigh-in when I know I won't show a loss.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #5  

Maybe its coz I'm a lazy bum, but I HATE counting calories! I like knowing and having a general idea (to the nearest 100) of how many calories I've consumed. I think I do that coz I dont want to be discouraged. I'm better off burning calories off at the gym! Not that I've never tried tho. I was on weight watchers for a bit and I noticed that my weekly weigh-ins were all over the place no matter my consistency with points/calories. I think all our bodies work differently. I was convinced that my weight loss cycle was on a 10-12 day cycle instead of a weekly one - which would explain why I'd do better on some weeks than others. That, and everything else that happens to burn calories vary - was this week hectic and stressful - is it that time of the month... I think since all those things matter - I can't drive myself crazy counting EACH and EVERY calorie. But more power to those of you who do. I envy you all.
BigBootyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

BigBooty, I don't like to count calories either. I tend to get obsessive about things like that. I started because I wasn't happy with my rate of loss when I started Ph2, just as a temporary way to track. 4 mos later, still obsessively recording all my food until a couple of weeks ago, I went on a trip, came home with 4 days of food to record and realized I just didn't want to. So I am now flying without a net, so to speak, and we will see how it goes, but it was interesting to track it for those months and be able to see some patterns.

I think one of the really nice things about SBD is that you don't have to count calories.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I hate counting calories too, but Fitday does make it pretty darn easy. I did it just like Schmoodle...because I was frustrated with no loss and wanted more information about what was going on. (Kara, I did NFP too for the same reason...not anything to do with birth control, just wanting to understand my body.)

I have always gained or maintained during the week of TOM and then it all falls off in a WHOOSH! after TOM is over. I believe it's water/bloating, but I don't know what feeling bloated actually feels like.

Sounds like a good idea, Kara! Just don't forget that the scale isn't our only source of info. How do your clothes fit? What are your measurements? How do you feel? Don't forget those other ways of tracking.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

Good ideas, Laurie. I'll do measurements, too. And isn't it so empowering to understand your cycle using NFP? I've been using it for about five years now and I love it!

Kara
Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

dumb Q what is nfp?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm wondering the same thing, myself.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #11  

NFP stands for Natural Family Planning. It is a way to detect ovulation based on more than just charting your temperature and looking at dates. I used it to help me get pregnant 11 years ago (while taking fertility drugs) but I am so irregular now that haven't bothered trying to use it to predict when I'll get my period.

I think I'm two weeks late now but I've been several months late since I went off the pill.

NFP can be used to help prevent pregnancy but also to help you become pregnant.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Yeah, Kara, I totally think it's awesome! Did you use it when getting pregnant with your kids?

Barb, as always you are full of wisdom. *happy sigh* We are SO lucky to have you here!

A friend of mine recommended this book: Taking Charge of Your Fertility, when I wasn't even married. She said that it helped her understand her body so well and that she learned SO much about why it does what it does and how. I've used it off and on for years. Not much of any importance happens when I'm on the pill--I have "perfect" cycles. But when I'm off...yikes! I'd been a roller coaster for years and I finally started to make sense of some of it after reading that book! Plus, I realized that I'm either not ovulating or I'm not releasing progesterone in the luteal phase. So I already know that I have to go for fertility counseling should we try to get pregnant. I highly recommend the book to any woman of any post-puberty age so they can understand their body!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #13  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I have TOM constantly when I'm off the pill so If/when we get to the family stage I will Check it out!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

NFP? Interesting but, at my age, completely useless information.

I agree that measurements show actual loss better than the darned scale. A friend of mine has ribbons in her bedroom. She cut a length the size of her waist and then several more as she lost - they are hanging together and she can see the difference.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I like that idea its a great visual and good to see how far you have come!