South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Let me hear your FAILURE stories!

I did not expect this at all, but I am so nervous to move into Phase 2. For those of you who have done it in the past and have had troubles, please share what triggered you to go off plan, if you don't mind.

I know all of our bodies are different and what sets off your cravings may not be a problem for me, and vice versa, but I think it would be helpful to have an idea what to look out for - like having one of those big mirrors in the parking garage so you can see around a tight corner...

Thanks for any input you super smart ladies have!

Kara
Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #2  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

Well, everytime I lose weight my body starts working right and I get pregnant and gain it all (plus some) back. I know that isn't what you are looking for but thought I'd throw that out there anyhow.
(that reminds me, I need to get some BCP asap)
Old 06-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Ha! That is not what I'm after, either! Three is plenty for me (and sometimes a bit too much!!!).

Kara
Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #4  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Whole wheat pasta is an issue for me- though I haven't sorted out if it's because of the carbs themselves or if it's because I like the texture! I'm a total texture nut and I won't eat something if I don't like the texture, and vice versa if I do! In general, I just stay away from it after one particularly bad night.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

When I did SB last year, I made the "mistake" of following the P2 meal plans from the book. WAY too many starches and fruit to jump into. My weight loss didn't stall, but I had horrible cravings all the time. I stayed OP but I was miserable and I had no idea what the problem was After I discovered this site, I realized what was going on and my second transition has been so so so much easier. I added one fruit and one "starch" a week just to see how I would do with them. I'm also having one or two servings of red wine a week and one square of dark chocolate a week. No problems yet.

So far I have added back strawberries, blackberries, whole wheat bread (and tortillas), brown rice, SB snack bars (for emergencies only), nectarines, cantaloupe, and whole wheat pasta (in extremely limited portions, as it has caused issues for me in the past). This week I will be adding back Granny Smith apples. I always pair these foods with protein, usually by having fruit with breakfast yogurt or eggs (but some people experience cravings when they have fruit in the morning, so this may not work for them).

Things that worked for me:
*Add back things that make you feel really excited, as if you're getting a treat. I go crazy over berries and cantaloupe--it's more exciting to me than ice cream. It's more fun to focus on what I "can" eat than what I "can't."
*Don't build your meals around carbs. I treat the brown rice as a "condiment" for my veggie stirfry (or whatever I have it with). Or I'll have a minestrone with a 1/4 cup of whole wheat pasta. For me personally, no matter how nutritious the grain is, building my entire meal around it is going to cause problems later in the day.

I'm sure you're going to do fine! You've got so much more information than I did when I did P2 for the first time. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:47 AM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Great tips, Betsy. Thanks so much!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I don't have a lot of diet experience, mostly I've focused on steadily gaining weight for the last 20 years. I lost 45 pounds once on the T-factor diet, then had two more babies and that came back plus more. Last year I tried SBD, and I really liked it, but I did what Betsy did and followed the book menu plan. Day 1 has you add a bowl of oatmeal, a cup of strawberries for breakfast, a pear in the afternoon, and more strawberries with chocolate after dinner! I didn't last too long after that. This time, things have gone much smoother. This forum is a great asset, with all the helpful tips and suggestions.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #8  
Trying again

S/C/G: 220.4/216.2/173

Height: 5'11"

Last year when I did SB I only lasted about 3 weeks on Phase 2. I added carbs back way too fast - SB cereal bar for breakfast, tortillas for dinner, fruit for snacks. My weight loss stalled and I got frustrated and quit. This time I'm going to try adding one food a week, starting with either fruit or tortillas.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

brown rice makes me hungry
strawberries alone make me hungry
wheat makes me gain weight...

the problem with this plan darling is that one size does not fit all... here i am 14 months into it and i'm still figuring out what to eat to lose....
Old 06-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #10  
Visualizing the Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
I don't have a lot of diet experience, mostly I've focused on steadily gaining weight for the last 20 years.
Schmoodle, you crack me up!

Kara
Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #11  
Visualizing the Goal

Char, thanks for sharing. Texture is a huge thing for me, too. I love trying new shapes of pastas because of how they feel in my mouth!

Rachel, you are so right about stalling being unmotivating. I'm so glad we have this forum to bounce ideas off one another!

Nessa, thanks for sharing all your experience! Although I'm sure the constant tweaking of the plan can get frustrating, at least it keeps you involved in the process. It's nice to know that what we eat directly affects how we lose and that there's not some random monster living inside of us randomly determining whether we gain or lose. I don't know if that makes any sense, but this eating plan has really taught me a lot about how the body in general works, and I'm looking forward to realizing more of how my personal body deals with food. It's made me feel more responsible for my eating choices. Not all calories are created equal! I was always kind of a "calories-in-calories-out" kind of dieter and I could NEVER stick with anything for over a week because I would either get frustrated that I wasn't losing or feel deprived and not be able to stick with the plan. Now I know how to deal with both of those problems, and I'm looking forward to being able to tweak my menus to best suit my body. It's a powerful feeling to know what's going on inside of you! I felt the same way after we decided to birth our third at home. I felt responsible to myself and my baby to create a healthy environment, both physically and emotionally. It wasn't up to a doctor that I had met two or three times. It was up to me to make sure I was eating well and exercising and staying as stress-free as I could. Avery's birth was the most beautiful, calm, natural thing I have ever done. I can see parallels in this diet. I am taking responsibility for my food choices. I am working in harmony with the way my body works. It's a powerful experience!

My belly is growling, though. Enough of the philosophy already!

Kara
Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle
I don't have a lot of diet experience, mostly I've focused on steadily gaining weight for the last 20 years.

Schmoodle, you crack me up!
Thanks Kara,
SOME PEOPLE don't appreciate my off sense of humor, mostly my family. Also, sarcasm doesn't always work in the e-world, so I have to refrain (very difficult). It's gotten me in trouble before.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Kara,

I feel the same way about SB--I really feel like I'm working with my body on the plan, not against it! Everyday I feel as if I'm giving my body what I need to live and not "confusing" it with all the processed carbs that I used to eat. I like that it's a process and not a one-size-fits-all plan. And it really allows more personal variation and substitions than most diet plans do. I love the focus on vegetables, healthy fats, and frequent small meals. SB was the first "diet" I ever did (I lost some weight in college with a low calorie plan of my own creation) and it is the only "diet" I can imagine being on for long periods of time.

I think that's really cool about your home birth. I'm the oldest of eight and we were all born at home. I don't have any kids (yet), but when I do, I plan on having them at home. I can't imagine going through a time that intimate and special in a hospital setting.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #14  
Visualizing the Goal

Oh, home is SO much better! That's so cool that you were born at home!! I wouldn't have traded Avery's birth experience for anything. With Connor I was in labor for 25 hours and with Kadyn I was in labor for 36 hours, and I know it was because I was dreading going to the hospital. So much of labor is psychological. I went right at the end with both of them and didn't even get an IV or any interventions. Just popped out the kids, rested a bit, and went home (AMA both times because I wanted to leave before they wanted me to). It wasn't until I made a friend who had four homebirths that I even realized it was an option! She gave me the tools to research more about homebirths, and Avery was actually born with just Tom and I there after FOUR hours of labor! I was so comfortable (well, as comfortable as you can be in labor) and settled. If it weren't for how crazy my three make me sometimes, I'd have another baby just to have another birth!

And Schmoodle, I'm quite sarcastic at times myself. Maybe that's why I "get" your humor! I think you're hilarious!!!

Kara
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Failures-let me list the ways:

Adding too much "good" carbs

adding too many "good" fruits

neglecting to eat all my veggies each and every day

not checking labels for sugar

My biggest mistake is allowing myself to start the regain cycle because over the last year I've steadily regained 15 pounds all because I'm not remembering the basics. I'm eating too many carbs, too much sugar, and not exercising.

This is not a diet to go on and off, it's a life style change for ever-that's not for you, that's for me to remember.
Closed Thread