South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #1  
I am the Lizard Queen...

S/C/G: 187/178/152

Height: 5'8"

Default Phase 1 With Budget Woes

Hi Everyone, so I'm starting again, which is pretty sad since I only just started in February. What was my downfall you ask??

Well... we are just starting to build an addition on our house as well as redo the existing. My husband came to me not so long ago and said I was spending too much on groceries, so I need to buy cheaper. I took that as an excuse to eat a box of KD for lunch, and have been eating poorly (and cheaper) ever since.

So I pose this question. How do you make SB affordable?? With lean meats and fresh vegetables, etc., how do you follow the Beach on a very small budget?

Any suggestions, because this was working for me so well, and I can't afford to give it up (Ha Ha, what a pun)
Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/160/145

Height: 5'4"

I completly understand your budget problems . . . One thing that I found that helped keep cost low was mixing frozen vegetables with fresh (at my local the store brand frozen veggies seem to always be on sale)
Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

How about planting a garden? Do you have space for one? I live in a remote town where produce is ALWAYS 2 - 3 times more expensive than in "cities". We figured that our first-year garden saved us over $300.00. (It was only 10x10 feet!)

As far as the lean meats go, we just have to splurge. We know that being healthy and me losing weight is much more important than other things, so we sacrifice something for more grocery $. (I.e., we switched from premium to basic cable last month -- $50.00 more for groceries!!)
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

fishbulb, I can completely sympathize with you, we've been there, too, when my DH was forced to take an early retirement. We were totally not prepared! There are several ways to make this WOE affordable. I look for sales on meat, then buy as much as I can at the sale price. Fresh fruits and veggies can be exensive in the winter months, so I rely on frozen instead. I've found that I can cut down my grocery bill considerably this way.

hcky!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #5  

Beans are also a cheap source of protein. The other thing I do is watch for sales and buy meat on sale and freeze the extra.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #6  
I am the Lizard Queen...

S/C/G: 187/178/152

Height: 5'8"

Thank you for your suggestions. I totally agree about the remote veggies. Where we are, we definately pay more for fresh vegetables. I guess I'll have to eat more frozen.

I had my first garden last year, and a lot of it didn't go well since I was just learning. I'm hoping this year's will be more successful.

Thanks for the support!!
Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #7  
Takin' control

S/C/G: 150/126/115

Height: 5'4

I am finishing up college, and I know how it is to have to cut back and save money. I agree with the others on buying frozen veggies, but another thing that really helps me is ONLY buying produce that is on sale. It's fun becuase I get a variety of things every shopping trip (so I dont get bored on the same foods), and also I get to try an abundance of new recipes. Granted, there are some staple produce items that you need, but typically I buy whatever is fresh and on sale that week.

I know its hard when you are on a budget, but I just tell myself that it's not cheap to be healthy. Sure, a packet of Ramen goes for .10, but how good do you feel about yourself afterwards?? I just think its worth it.

Any other tips would be me also though...send them on over!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #8  

YES...you are so right about the cost of eating healthy. We have 4 kids and it's already $120 a week in groceries and just to get prep'd for phase 1 I think I spent around $40 then keep spending to get the herbs, produce, etc that you need for this type of diet. One thing I do is shop ALDI...it's a LOT cheaper on produce (mushrooms are 59 cents!, bags of spinach 1.29) They only take cash or debit card and you have to bag your own, but its worth it...Their produce is very high quality I have found as well.
Also, I have taken this spring time to plant my own herbs...I found a basil and an oregano plant at Wal Mart for around $3 a piece...where I live, that about 6oz of herbs cost! So if they grow well, I should be in good shape!...Starting from a plant is easier than from a seed...I tried and failed the seed method!

Good luck and like the others...stock up on the sales and beans for low cost savings!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/183/140

Height: 5'5

In Richmond we're lucky enough to have a local grocery chain that keeps a nice selection of already cooked veggies and lean meats. Just today I bought $8 of steamed veggies and pork tenderloin, which will be enough to feed me for two dinners and a lunch.

Plus, I love making stirfry with canned chickpeas and frozen vegetables. Kroger has some great frozen veggie mixes (without noodles or rice) to make stirfry with, and they usually run 3 packages for $5 here.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #10  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

I am a big coupon cutter. I always look for the 'orange-tag' meat. I only buy the fruit that is on sale. I nearly always get frozen vegtables unless I find some type of sale. Sometimes I have to eat 'cheap' because I am waiting for my payday then I get right back on it. I found a good sale on canned tuna and stocked up.

Also have a open mind that you may have to try something new that you would not normally eat. For instance I cooked salmon or talpia until I found it marked down on clearance. If I eat salmon for dinner I will fix everyone else fishsticks.
Hope that helps
Closed Thread