new to the Beach (long rambling intro, pull up a chair)

• Hello everyone, I thought I should introduce myself as I jump right in. So, here's the Reader's Digest condensed version of my life story.

In high school and early college I was very slim, probably underweight. 5'8" and 105 lbs, size 2. I practiced Tae Kwon Do 3-4 times a week, roller bladed and swam frequently. My metabolism was very high, the typical "eat whatever I want" active teen. My activity dropped a bit when I started college and I put on about 15 lbs my freshman year but nothing serious.

Then came Depo Provera. In 2 years I went from 120 lbs, size 4 to 225 lbs and a size 22/24. I didn't even really link it to the shot until my doctor (a wonderful OB at the student health center) actually graphed my weight vs. time for me and forced me to open my eyes. I stopped getting the shot but changing my weight wasn't as easy.

After graduation I started my career, I was a nuclear engineer for a DOE lab and trained Navy personnel. My job involved climbing up and down ladders all day and over the next year and a half I got down to about 165 lbs, size 12/14. (I also ended an abusive marriage in that time period, which also helped.) I hovered between 165-175 for the next few years.

I remarried and my DH is in the Navy. We decided that he would stay in until retirement and I quit my job when he transferred back to sea duty. My weight started creeping back up and I weighed ~190 when I got pregnant with my DS in 12/03. I put on 40 lbs during that pregnancy, partly because I spent 6 weeks on bedrest and spent most of that time eating. After he was born I didn't concentrate too much on weight loss, telling myself that it didn't matter because we were going to have another baby soon. I weighed 185 when I got pregnant with my DD. I only gained 25 lbs during that pregnancy and 10 lbs of that was baby, DD was a big girl. In July of last year I had a wonderful homebirth and within a couple weeks was within 5 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight. (Admittedly, that weight was still too high.)

When DD was 5 weeks old, DH went to sea. I was still getting used to having a toddler and a newborn and my family is 3000 miles away. So began the the fast food cycle. Then it became a habit, one I actually looked forward to. When I am in the car, DD will nap and often DS will nap too (it's the only time he will nap). That means I have anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to sit somewhere peacefully and read a book and drink a soda. Now, DS thinks that lunch is always handed to us through the car window. We drive by Taco Bell and he says "oh, chips!", we drive by Wendy's and he says "chicken and fries!" That's not the example I want to set for my son. The ironic thing is, we eat fairly healthy meals at home. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, whole grains, lean meats and very little sugar. But that doesn't matter when we eat a bag full of junk for lunch almost every day.

I got on my scale this morning and it said 197, which is higher than it was when DD was 2 weeks old. My jeans are getting too tight, my shirts are unflattering and I hate seeing pictures of myself. When DS was about 4 months old, DH lost 30 lbs on SBD. I lost a little but didn't fully follow the program, DS was sensitive to dairy and soy so I had to completely eliminate those foods from my diet. DD was also sensitive to those foods (it runs in my family) but she seems to have outgrown it now at 7 months. I'm skipping Phase 1 because I am nursing (tandem nursing DD and DS, plus pumping for a friend's baby) so I'm starting with Phase 2. I'm here to be able to chat with some other people who are also working with losing weight and changing their eating habits, I need to make a change and not fall off the wagon again.
  • Sounds like you are a busy mama!! Way to go on taking the first step and deciding to take action against your weight. The women here are fantastic and will always lend a ear when you need someone!

I am new here as well and am on my second week of Phase 1.

Good luck in your journey!
  • One more thing, I see you are from Washington. Is that WA state or DC?
  • Washington state, just west of Seattle.
  • to the beach!! If you are doing that much nursing (more power to you, BTW!) make sure you are getting plenty to eat. Some of the wiser gals around this forum may suggest making sure this WOE is approved by your doctor.
  • Kestrel! You sure have your hands full of kiddos! We have several moms here who can help you with ideas for how to stick to SBD while being a busy mom.

Sounds like you have some great goals for helping both you and your kids become healthier and happier. Glad to have you with us!
  • Hi! I'm fairly new, too. It seems from reading your post that any time your weight was in your control (i.e. not on Depo, not pregnant, etc.), you have made a concerted effort. I feel your weight gain was unfair. But now...here you are. See? You're making that effort again. You should be proud of yourself.

I'm still nursing, but not tandem (my littlest is 9 months, my middle is almost 4 years), so I did Phase I since DS is only nursing a few times a day now. I go into Phase II on Monday.

So far I'm loving this WOE, and that's saying a lot, since I've more or less been dieting for 30 years now. I definitely know the "dieting and hate it" feeling vs. the "I feel full and this food tastes good" feeling. I think you're going to like SB, especially now with the inclusion of dairy. (My baby had bad dairy-related nursing problems at first too.)

So...welcome, and good luck!
  • Thanks for the welcomes, ladies!
  • Kestrel, I love your intro and am sorry I couldn't get in here before today to you. You'll love The Beach and the chicks in here are supportive and fun! It's nice to see you joining us on the Daily Chat!
  • Quote: Hello everyone, I thought I should introduce myself as I jump right in. So, here's the Reader's Digest condensed version of my life story.

In high school and early college I was very slim, probably underweight. 5'8" and 105 lbs, size 2. I practiced Tae Kwon Do 3-4 times a week, roller bladed and swam frequently. My metabolism was very high, the typical "eat whatever I want" active teen. My activity dropped a bit when I started college and I put on about 15 lbs my freshman year but nothing serious.

Then came Depo Provera. In 2 years I went from 120 lbs, size 4 to 225 lbs and a size 22/24. I didn't even really link it to the shot until my doctor (a wonderful OB at the student health center) actually graphed my weight vs. time for me and forced me to open my eyes. I stopped getting the shot but changing my weight wasn't as easy.

After graduation I started my career, I was a nuclear engineer for a DOE lab and trained Navy personnel. My job involved climbing up and down ladders all day and over the next year and a half I got down to about 165 lbs, size 12/14. (I also ended an abusive marriage in that time period, which also helped.) I hovered between 165-175 for the next few years.

I remarried and my DH is in the Navy. We decided that he would stay in until retirement and I quit my job when he transferred back to sea duty. My weight started creeping back up and I weighed ~190 when I got pregnant with my DS in 12/03. I put on 40 lbs during that pregnancy, partly because I spent 6 weeks on bedrest and spent most of that time eating. After he was born I didn't concentrate too much on weight loss, telling myself that it didn't matter because we were going to have another baby soon. I weighed 185 when I got pregnant with my DD. I only gained 25 lbs during that pregnancy and 10 lbs of that was baby, DD was a big girl. In July of last year I had a wonderful homebirth and within a couple weeks was within 5 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight. (Admittedly, that weight was still too high.)

When DD was 5 weeks old, DH went to sea. I was still getting used to having a toddler and a newborn and my family is 3000 miles away. So began the the fast food cycle. Then it became a habit, one I actually looked forward to. When I am in the car, DD will nap and often DS will nap too (it's the only time he will nap). That means I have anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to sit somewhere peacefully and read a book and drink a soda. Now, DS thinks that lunch is always handed to us through the car window. We drive by Taco Bell and he says "oh, chips!", we drive by Wendy's and he says "chicken and fries!" That's not the example I want to set for my son. The ironic thing is, we eat fairly healthy meals at home. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, whole grains, lean meats and very little sugar. But that doesn't matter when we eat a bag full of junk for lunch almost every day.

I got on my scale this morning and it said 197, which is higher than it was when DD was 2 weeks old. My jeans are getting too tight, my shirts are unflattering and I hate seeing pictures of myself. When DS was about 4 months old, DH lost 30 lbs on SBD. I lost a little but didn't fully follow the program, DS was sensitive to dairy and soy so I had to completely eliminate those foods from my diet. DD was also sensitive to those foods (it runs in my family) but she seems to have outgrown it now at 7 months. I'm skipping Phase 1 because I am nursing (tandem nursing DD and DS, plus pumping for a friend's baby) so I'm starting with Phase 2. I'm here to be able to chat with some other people who are also working with losing weight and changing their eating habits, I need to make a change and not fall off the wagon again.

Kestrel, - Welcome to the group! Another Washingtonian! In all honesty, your story sound like mine in a lot of ways. Hormones and all that entails has a lot to do with my weight gain, although I didnt know it until I was in my 20s. I have had major female issues from putberty... so I know how that can be!

RIght now I am recovering from Sinus Surgery on 3/8 so my diet is a little off.. not in a bad way, just not eating much due to not being able to breathe as well.. and only wanting liquids. But as 2 Washingtonians, it would be fun to stick together!
  • Quote: RIght now I am recovering from Sinus Surgery on 3/8 so my diet is a little off.. not in a bad way, just not eating much due to not being able to breathe as well.. and only wanting liquids. But as 2 Washingtonians, it would be fun to stick together!
    Yes, it would be fun to stick together and help support each other, we have similar goal weights too. I hope your recovery from your surgery goes well!