3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   How do you make Grainola for SB? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/104372-how-do-you-make-grainola-sb.html)

Bionic Beach Babe 02-10-2007 11:10 AM

How do you make Grainola for SB?

Any one out there who has a recipe for SB Grainola?

I was given a small bag of it and used about 1 T. on bowl of Jello or sugar free pudding and oh how good the crushy taste was...I would like a recipe to make some that is legal for our SB...using:
Oatmeal, nuts, etc...how much of each? should I add fruit? Slenda, or what...Can you help?

Schatzi 02-10-2007 12:21 PM

This one is fantastic! I make it all the time. :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...hlight=granola

nycousin 02-10-2007 01:44 PM

There has to be something wrong with my thinking. I was reading and looking over the granola recipe and thought that sounds good. Then I saw one serving was like 290 calories. Now a serving would be about 1/2 cup since there were 4 cups of oats and it was 8 servings.

Here is where I went wrong maybe in my thinking. Isn't 290 calories a lot, especially for a snack. Especially if it is being put on top of something else that has calories as well. How concerned should we be with calories on SB.

Schatzi 02-10-2007 06:58 PM

It is a high calorie item. But it is full of good fiber, and slow carbs. I have it as a breakfast or snack and very ocassionally. I measure it because I can def overeat it! The same goes for Nuts... They are on the list for phase 1, as they are full of healthy fats-but they are high in calories.. I believe this is why there is a nut limit. ( :crazy: :lol: )
Calories in and Calories out. So, depending on how much you move, how much you weigh, your own unique metabolism can help you identify your caloric intake to lose weight.
Hope this helps!!

Bionic Beach Babe 02-10-2007 07:07 PM

Oh Thank you so very much....I figured if only eating about 1 T. on top of yogart or Jello...It will go a long, long way...

Reading the directions, even at using 1/4 cup each time. the recipe should make about 23-24 servings, making that about only about 96 Calories per serving...not bad if the Jello is only 10...

And if I use only 1 T. wow! that should bring it down to about 31 calories... Thank you so very much...off to make some.

RocknRoll 02-10-2007 09:03 PM

Does granola and jello taste good together? I have never thought of a combination like that!

I used to love Bear Naked Granola so i might have to whip this up in the future

Schatzi 02-11-2007 07:13 AM

Rocknroll: I think Lubajo was comparing the calorie per tsp of granola to jello.. I love it as a yogurt topping.. As a kid growing up in the 60s and having a "hippie" aunt .. She made granola all the time for us- and this recipe is the closest to hers that I loved so much... I love sesame seeds, so I throw some of that in it too. Toasted sesame gives it an even better flavor to me.

Also, it calls for unsweetened coconut...Some folks have trouble finding it in the regular grocery stores... you usually can find it in the Frozen food section, next to the frozen fruits and pastry doughs.

Your right..the recipe makes a Tremendous amount. You could cut it in half.

mari37 02-11-2007 07:55 AM

I'm against checking calories on SB

For me, the whole purpose of going SB is never to count calories again. I prefer totally removing foods that I know are tricky, and have relatively high calories and especially high Glycemic Index (And granola have both), But to know that the foods I do allow are good, and I can eat from them as much as I want. And surprisingly these foods cause you to eat less over time ...

I'm not sure if this is exactly the SB way, but I find it very helpful