3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Power Foods (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/103846-power-foods.html)

little chick 02-03-2007 07:37 PM

Power Foods

I thought that I would pass this info along, as many of us seem to get a little scared when beginning phase two of SBD. Hopefully it will help.

Quote:

Focus on Power Foods
Pack Your Lunch with Punch
-- By Zach Van Hart, Staff Writer

Did you know that ants can lift up to 50 times their own weight? This goes to show that power can come from small places. The same theory applies to power foods.

Power foods are a combination of low calories and high nutrients, or foods that keep you feeling satisfied. Quite simply, you can make your calories work for you. The more efficiently you eat, the more you can eat before reaching your calorie limit.

The great part about power foods is that you are likely eating some of them already! And if not, parts of your diet can be easily replaced by other power foods. Adding just a few more power foods can make a big difference in your calorie intake and appetite.

At the top of the Power Food list are foods that contain proteins, fibers and complex carbohydrates. These foods have tons of nutrients that give you long-lasting energy without a lot of calories, all while making you feel fuller faster. However, there are power foods in every food group and plenty of options to choose from.

Good Power Foods

Grains
whole wheat cereal
oatmeal
whole wheat bread, pita, bagel, pasta
brown rice
deli rye
pure bran muffins
cream of wheat
raisin bread

Fruits/Veggies
oranges
berries (especially blueberries)
cantaloupe
watermelon
apples
avocado
chili peppers
spinach
sweet potatoes
tomatoes

Dairy/Protein
low fat or skim milk
low fat yogurt
salmon
tuna
chicken
almonds
peanuts
walnuts and hazelnuts
beans
eggs

Schatzi 02-04-2007 06:31 PM

Thanks fer sharing Little Chick :hug: These will definitely help !

nycousin 02-05-2007 07:51 AM

I am a little confused here though with the list. It seems some of the foods are on a limited basis. Was that just for phase one? Like raisin bread. sweet potatoes, watermelon and bagels for example. I have one of the south beach books and these things are listed as not as good choices.

Thanks

Ruthxxx 02-05-2007 08:06 AM

The article was not particularly South Beach, just a global reminder to choose power foods as much as possible on Phase II. Some of the foods are not South Beach but are still good foods that can be incorporated into your diet as you move on the Phase III.

I added quote tags and hope this clarifies the post.

nycousin 02-05-2007 01:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I have not seen any quote tags though. I was hoping that a newer book allowed some of these things.

little chick 02-05-2007 08:58 PM

sorry about the confusion. I had read the article and thought it was usefull. Forgot about the quote tags. :(

Happy Apple 02-05-2007 10:06 PM

Oooh, but doesn't it make you feel good that so many of those power foods ARE on the SBD program? Ooh, I feel a power surge coming on already!

See, this is exactly why I love coming out here. Good post - thanks, little chick!