Help Ruth re mixed drinks on SBD!

• Message from Ruth: I know the answer is in the book but can't find it. Can you help? Maybe it was on the official website.
    (The post was in the FAQ and I missed it! )

I'm about to switch over to Phase 2 and am not a fan of wine, and it's obvious that beer does not fit very well with this diet. I also am aware that several mixers are high in sugar and probably aren't gonna help. Does anybody know if it's okay to have mixed drinks such as a rum & diet coke?
  • Sorry but I missed this. I know something was mentioned in the book about this but can't find my book right now. I'll be back later with the answer.

11:05 - For the life of me, I can't find it in the book. I'll copy this post over into Fat Chicks On The Beach and see if any of the regulars have a clue!
  • tonton285 and Ruth...here is a web site with lots of information concerning low carb drinks...she even has some recipes and explains why we have to be careful with what type mixers one uses...hope this helps.
  • I can find websites for drinks, thanks. What tonton wants to know is CAN she have mixed drinkls with diet mixer on South Beach. I KNOW the answer is somewhere!
  • I pulled this from another message board I'm on...

Quote:
    PHASE 2: What alcohol can I drink on Phase 2?

During Phase 2, alcohol can be reintroduced in moderation. Moderation is defined as 1-2 drinks per day. Wine is the best choice. Champagne, vodka, gin, rum, and bourbon are also fine. If you choose to drink, make sure you do so during or right after a meal, since a stomach full of food will slow the absorption of alcohol into your bloodstream—and keep your blood sugar levels steadier. And, of course, you'll want to avoid sugary mixers like fruit juices and regular tonic—opt for diet tonic instead.

One drink=
    0.5 ounces of distilled alcohol
    3-5 ounces of wine
    1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits
  • Wonderful, Annarenee. Thanks so much. That's exactly what I need.
  • Sorry
    Ruth, I apologize if i broke a rule...the web page fills the criteria for the SB alcoholic type drinks. I will not post any more web pages.
    Again forgive me if I broke a rule.
  • Mamajok, you didn't break any rules. I don't see a website in your post.
  • web site
    Okay, I forgot the web site Ruth...so I sent another post but apparently it did not go through...I will post this one site because it does give very good information concerning the subject....

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/alcbev.htm

We only drink red wine but there are many people who do not like wine at all...this may help them decide if a mixed drink is worth it.

Wishing you a great day on Thursday Ruth.

Mamajo
  • Thanks, Mamajo. Tonton hasn't been back but she will have more than enough info now!