Smoky Split Pea Soup

• I found this delicious recipe in the Feb. issue of Vegetarian Times.

Smoky Split Pea Soup

1 cup green split peas
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 tsp. smoked paprika
    1 tsp. chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
    1 large sweet potato, peeld and diced (3 cups)
    2 medium onions, diced (3 cups)
    3 ribs celery, diced (1 cup)
    4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp)
    14 oz. can diced tomatoes

1. Soak split peas in large bowl of cold water overnight.
    2. Heat oil in 3 qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add paprika an chipotle, and stir. Add sweet potato, onions, and celery, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic, and saute 2 minutes.
    3. Drain split peas, and add to pot with 6 cups of water. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 1 hour. Add tomatoes, and cook 30 minutes more, or until split peas are tender.

Approximately 4 - 6 servings.

* I just tossed everything into my crockpot, set it on low for 8 hours, and voila!
  • I am not much of a cook, but I am learning. This may be a stupid question, but....

Soak the split peas overnight.
    Add all ingredients including 6 cups of water to crock pot
    cook on low for 8 hours.

Right?

Is smoked paprika with the other spices? Does it really matter if it is smoked or not?
    Where do you find the canned chipotle chilies?

I am anxious to try it. I am not sure if the kids will like it or not, so I may just make one recipe for me. They can try it and if they do like it, I will double the recipe next time and share!
  • Pea Soup
    My wife makes pea soup with ham according to this recipe. club.cooking/recipe/split-pea-soup/
    I like it a lot. Delicious, fat, what you need.
    Try it, a good recipe.