3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Soups and Stews Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/soups-stews-phase-1-153/)
-   -   Hot and Sour Soup (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/soups-stews-phase-1/71567-hot-sour-soup.html)

Barb0522 01-03-2006 02:13 PM

Hot and Sour Soup

5 cups canned no-salt added chicken broth, undiluted
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 (4 oz) skinned and boned chicken breast half, cut into thin strips or may sub pork tenderloin
2 or 3 stalks of bok choy, sliced (optional)
1/3 cup canned bamboo shoots, cut into thin strips
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 c low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp pepper
1 egg white, lighly beaten (I use 1/4 cup Eggbeaters)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup fresh snow pea pods (frozen works too)
1 Tbls cornstarch (unnecessary, skip this on phase 1)
1/4 cup water (unnecessary, skip this on phase 1)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a 2 quart saucepan; bring to a boil. Add chicken or pork tenderloin; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add bamboo shoots and bok choy if using; simmer 5 minutes. Add vinegar and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Drizzle egg white into soup, sitrring constantly. (Lacy strands will form.) Stir in green onions and snow peas. Combine cornstarch and water (phase 2 only); stir into soup mixture. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute, stirring gently. Serve immediately.

Jennie527 01-03-2006 07:50 PM

Wow, thanks Barb! This sounds awesome! My DH is gonna go nuts over this!

cottagebythesea 01-06-2006 10:25 AM

Thanks, Barb, for posting this! I love Hot & Sour Soup, and plan to make this a lot. I'm going to sub some Firm Tofu for the chicken, especially when Lent starts, and use vegetable broth instead.

djmommy 01-06-2006 05:04 PM

This may be a dumb question but what is hot sauce is this in the asian section?Or is like the red stuff you use in Bloody marys? I am going to make this next week.YUMMY.Thanks

Barb0522 01-06-2006 05:35 PM

It's the same tabasco hot sauce that goes in bloody mary's.

djmommy 01-07-2006 03:05 PM

Thank you so much..Can not wait to try it..

Natasha1534 09-26-2010 08:50 PM

I made this yesterday for lunch and it was really good. I did make a few changes. I eliminated the mushrooms and ginger (forgot to pick up the mushrooms and I don't like ginger) and I replaced the chicken breast w/ thin strips of firm tofu and eliminated the snow peas (never had either in hot and sour soup, so I left them out). I omitted the bok choy b/c they didn't have it at Kroger and I added in some thin julienned carrots and red pepper flakes. I used the entire can of bamboo shoots and a few more drops of soy sauce. Oh, and I left out the cornstarch mixture and used organic low sodium chicken broth (95 mg of sodium vs. the 600 plus mg in regular low sodium chicken broth). I know that's a lot of changes, but it was really yummy!!! :)

And I just wanted to add that I came back here to post that b/c I find it REALLY helpful when I'm looking at a recipe if someone says that they tried it and lets me know how it turned out. ;)

CyndiM 09-26-2010 08:54 PM

I love to see the tweaks other people make and their reviews. Thanks Natasha, I'll definitely try this one now that it's getting cooler out.

StepSpen 10-04-2010 06:53 PM

Ooooo! This sounds SO good! I miss Hot & Sour from our local Chinese joint. My hubby will be thrilled with this one - can't wait to work it into next week's menu.