Cauliflower Bisque

• Well I finally got around to making a Cauliflower Bisque recipe I had mentioned last week in 1 of the threads. I couldn't find any decent leeks where I normally shop and I prefer to use them when making this type of dish although an onion would probably be OK. I found the recipe on a site called CDKitchen.com but modified it as the original called for butter & heavy cream.

2 leeks or 1 small onion, chopped
    2Tbsp celery, chopped
    2Tbsp margarine such as Smart Balance
    1 small cauliflower cut in chunks (I used 3/4 of bag of frozen florets for ease)
    3 C chicken broth
    salt & black pepper to taste
    1/2 C fat free half & half
    parsley to taste

1.) Saute the leeks & celery in the margarine over med-low heat until they are soft.

2.) Add the broth and the cauliflower and bring to a boil. This is a good time to add salt & pepper though you may not want much salt given the broth is fairly salty depending on the type you use.

3.) Reduce to a simmer & cover. Simmer for about 20 mins or til cauliflower is tender.

4.) Puree the broth/veggie mixture using an immersion blender or in small batches in a regular blender.

5.) Stir in the fat free half & half. Season with parsley and adjust the salt & pepper to your taste.

I think this soup would personally be better seasoned with chives but I happened to be out of them.

Sue