Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 03:35 PM   #1  

Default Black Bean Soup recipes

I love the smell of this soup. You can put it together fast. I don't pre-soak the beans. Just wash and sort. This makes a thick soup and I freeze the extra. You can serve it over rice or put it in a fat free tortilla with some l. f. cheese. It's thicker the second day and sometimes I use it for veggie dip.

1 (16 oz. bag) dry black beans
1 pint salsa
1 ( 15 oz. tomato sauce
1 (15oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

Wash and sort beans. Put in crock pot. Add water to cover. Add rest of ingredients. You should have a full (3 1/2 quart )crockpot. Cover and cook low 20-24 hours. High, 15 hours. If you use high, stir occasionally. Master cook calculates this as 12 cups, 150 cal, 1 fat, 7 fiber each cup.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:33 AM   #2  

Default Black Bean & Salsa Soup

I came across this terrific soup recipie at while I was looking for another recipie. It was submitted by someone named Maryanne. Don't be put off by how simple this is. I served this to guests and they raved! Now everyone I know makes it. It has everything, it's fast, easy, lowfat and high fiber,and cheap to make! I will be your new best friend!! :-)

Black Bean & Salsa Soup
2 cans black beans, rinse and drain
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chunky salsa
1 teaspoon cumin

In processor or blender combine all and blend until fairly smooth. Pour into saucepan and heat on medium heat until thouroughly heated. Serve with a dollop of fatfree sour cream (a must!) and a sprinkle of sliced green onion.

That's it. Let me know how you like it!
Old 01-02-2002, 09:35 AM   #3  

Angry

BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP

1 20 oz. bag of frozen broccoli
1 10 oz. bag of frozen cauliflower
1 10 oz. bag of frozen carrots
1 tsp. Of Cheyenne pepper (or red pepper)
1 tsp. Seasoning salt
1 10-12 oz. box of Velveeta Light cheese
5 tsp. of granulated chicken bouillon (cubes are o.k.)
6 cups of water

Cook veggies, seasonings and water for 20-25 minutes on medium. Remove mixture from pot (some at a time) and place in blender to puree. Continue until all is pureed.

Cut the Velveeta into cubes and place 2-3 cubes into pot at a time – until all cheese is melted. Continue stirring. Save a few broccoli florets and whole carrots for garnish.

1 point per cup

Originally posted by LittleDebbie613 on 12-12-99 at 07:51 on the BCB Post recipes here! thread.

This recipe sounds so great! Are you sure about the points, with all that Velveeta Cheese? I sure hope so, cuz I'd sure love to try it. Just want to make sure, as I'd hate to be eating over my points. I've always liked my broccoli and cauliflower with a cheese sauce. I haven't been able to enjoy them since I thought that eating them with cheese would just be too many points. Sure hope you're right about this, and if you are, I thank you from the bottom of my stomach!

I think the recipe turns out to be about 2 points, not 1.

Gina

I bought the ingredients to try this tonight........I cant wait. Thanks!

I will be happy to try this recipe out-the fact that it's simple will make me love it more I am sure. I hate to see long lists of ingredients, I'm so lazy that it puts me off! lol Have you listed this on the vegetarian recipes? It's totally vegetarian except for the sour cream part since some veg's dont do dairy.

thanks again-cant wait to try it!
lorelei

judi -
Any more nutritional info on the soup? Do I assume at 126 calories per cup, it is 2 WW points per cup?

Thanks!
Katie
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #4  

Default Yummy Black Bean Soup (Trader Joe's)

Hi all,

While shopping at TJ's this weekend I sampled a delicious black bean soup. Thankfully they were also handing out the recipe. I made it that night and we had it for dinner on Monday! It was so easy to make, so tasty, so filling, and so low in points--I just had to share!

TRADER JOE'S BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 1/4 cups salsa (mild or spicy, as preferred)
2 - 15 ounce cans black beans, drained
2 cups vegetable stock

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a low boil; then simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and then puree half of the mixture in a blender. Return to pot, mix well, and then serve with a dollop of sour cream and salsa (optional).

Using the ingredients I did, this was 7 points for the whole batch, which was two VERY large bowls for my DH and I. I hope you enjoy!

Jo
Closed Thread