Cheeseburger Soup

• I cannot claim this recipe as my own. The recipe comes from another board.

I think it makes a great lunch.

Cheeseburger Soup

1 T oil
    1 t garlic, minced
    1/2 green pepper chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped...............being a CALP person I used green onion, as regular onion is on the reward meal list
    1 stalk celery, sliced (I didn't use this, I do NOT like celery)
    8-12 oz ground beef
    1 beef bouillon cube or packet
    2 cups of heavy cream
    4-6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Heat oil in a soup pot. Saute garlic, onion, celery and green pepper until tender. Add the meat and brown, drain. Mix in the beef bouillon. Slowly
    add the cream, stirring constantly, but do not let it boil ( the cream will curdle if allowed to boil.) Add the cheese. Stir until melted and serve.

It was suggested that crumbled bacon be added to the soup. I do this, it is wonderful!!!
    This soup is very filling, you can't eat much, too rich. But a cup, will hold me until dinner.

Debbie
  • This was GREAT!

I used a can of cream of mushroom soup instead of the cream. You could dilute with milk or cream, depending on your carb needs. I guess the original recipe is best for Induction, but for any other plan, you should take into account the extra carbs. It's not as rich, but it was still just terrific, and very filling.

I also made a cream of chicken soup with cut up chicken, some sauteed onion, red and green pepper, and some frozen corn kernels. (Count the corn!) I used shredded swiss for the cheese, and it was great.

I am planning these 2 soups for lunches at work this week!
  • This is excellent!! I used a small yellow pepper instead of the green pepper. MMMMMM!!!
  • I wonder if you could sub. with ground turkey. Anybody tried that? Thanks for the recipe. Looks great!
  • Earthy, I don't see why you couldn't. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Debbie
  • I have the same recipe--from the "Taste of Home" only you use potato's--gues that goes against low carb huh??!!

misty
  • This sounds good, and I'm going to make it; I've been wondering how hamburger would be in soup. Tis the soup weather!