Steel Cut Oats- Make em yummy Wave 1 and 2

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have played and played with these things and last nite Bingo!

1C Steel Cut Oats

1-1/4 C Water

1C Skim Milk

1 Tbsp Cinnamon

1/3 Cup Chopped Walnuts

1/2 C Diced Apples

Mix all ingredients in Crock Pot when ready for bed, turn on low awake to an awesome smelling house and a great bowl of oats!

This makes 4 servings and if on Wave 1 leave out Apples

Try it!
  • steel cut oats
    Thanks, I'm fixing this tonight so I will have it in the morning. Sounds really good.

Pat
  • I did this in the crock pot last week - I put in a snack pack of dried cranberries instead of the apples, cinnamon and walnuts. It was so good - reheats great, too - I bought a cute little 1.5 quart crockpot and just scooped a cup out for breakfast and microwaved it after the first day. I like currants in oatmeal, too and hmmm - that would be a power food wouldn't it.... Gotta try the walnuts and apples, too - used to do it that way on the stovetop years ago with regular oatmeal.
  • So is a large crockpot okay to use for this recipe or should I double the recipe?

Pat
  • Just saw your post - did you try it? My steel cut oats cook rather quickly actually - I do add a bit more liquid, about 3 1/2 cups to 1 cup of oats and then the added little snack pack of dried cranberries. I will add further liquid when I reheat.

I'd think they would be shallow in a regular crockpot, if you have help and can eat up 8 servings, doubling it would be great. I get just nice meals out of my batch, scoop it out of the crock from the fridge with a 1 cup measuring cup. I just finished up a new batch for this week and am looking forward to it.
  • steel cut oats
    Thanks, I haven't tried it yet. I thought I had a whole bag of oats in my freezer but I guess not, so I will go buy them today while I'm out.

Pat
  • All of these recipes sound so good. What are steel cut oats and what's the difference between them and regular oatmeal? Is the fiber and nutrition value higher?

Thanks!
  • I'm not sure but I think so, maybe somebody else will explain it better. I always try to organic or natural, I know it has a lot more nutrition value the more natural you go.

Pat
  • Quote: All of these recipes sound so good. What are steel cut oats and what's the difference between them and regular oatmeal? Is the fiber and nutrition value higher?

Thanks!
    I eat steel cut oats all the time and I adore them. Much tastier, IMHO than regular oats. I make a batch on the weekend and then nuke a portion for breakfast a few tiems during the week. I've even frozen them and they do okay!

Here is a link to one provider of the oats, Lots of good info. if you have a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods market near you or a place that sells grains in bulk, it would be MUCH cheaper to buy them there than in the fancy white metal tins from Mccanns

http://www.mccanns.ie/
  • What did I do wrong?
    I made these and they turned out really bad, I cooked them in a crock pot on 250 degrees for 2 hours but they were very dry and hard and not tasteful and i followed the recipe exact. Any ides?
  • I find it takes more liquid that the recipe says - did you try just adding more to it? I would think it takes more than 2 hours, I cook mine about 4-6.

I don't know how anyone eats it with no sweeteners, though. I put a packet of Equal on top of a 1 cup serving. My husband still loves his brown sugar. :-)
  • Have you ever tried xyletal as a sweetener? Taste like sugar to me. You have to get it at the health food store.

Pat
  • I made them using the recipe Linda mentioned in the first post only I used apples and cranberries (mmmm cran-apple porridge!). I didn't have any walnuts. I cooked it on low all night and it was a little sticky the next morning but I just added a few drops of milk and it turned very creamy. They were even more sticky this morning when I got some out of the fridge but just adding a bit of milk and heating them gently in the microwave fixed that. They were even better on day 2! Next time, I'll double the recipe because my husband and my 23 month old daughter love them, too!

Linda, when you say you've frozen them before, does that mean you just cooked them like in your recipe and then froze portions? Okay, that question sounds lame but I guess I was just curious to know if you did anything different before freezing them. I'm a Freeze Queen. Love to stock up the freezer with easy-access meals!
  • Quote: I made them using the recipe Linda mentioned in the first post only I used apples and cranberries (mmmm cran-apple porridge!). I didn't have any walnuts. I cooked it on low all night and it was a little sticky the next morning but I just added a few drops of milk and it turned very creamy. They were even more sticky this morning when I got some out of the fridge but just adding a bit of milk and heating them gently in the microwave fixed that. They were even better on day 2! Next time, I'll double the recipe because my husband and my 23 month old daughter love them, too!

Linda, when you say you've frozen them before, does that mean you just cooked them like in your recipe and then froze portions? Okay, that question sounds lame but I guess I was just curious to know if you did anything different before freezing them. I'm a Freeze Queen. Love to stock up the freezer with easy-access meals!
    Nothing special.. just stuck them in containers and froze them. The consistency does change slightly when you freeze them.. not anything significant but when I know I am going to be short on time,freezing comes in handy. What I usually do is make a big batch on Sunday and eat it during the week. It doesn't spoil and is just fine for several days.

Glad to hear you like the steel cuts. I'll never go back to rolled, that's for sure!
  • Making a note to look for a small crock-pot and steel cut oats!