Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1 - Whole Wheat pasta with Eggplant, Mushrooms and Goat Cheese

Whole Wheat pasta with Eggplant, Mushrooms and Goat Cheese - 4 servings

1 (8 ounce) package whole wheat pasta, cooked til al dente
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic+, sliced - I use more.. yum
1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 can crushed tomatoes in puree - I usually used diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken/vegetable stock - use a little less
15 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped - omit if you don't like
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 ounces goat cheese (low fat, fat free), cut into large chunks - can also use a low fat, fat free feta

* if you need additional moisture while sauteing, either use a little more olive oil of chicken/vegetable stock*

* another method is to roaste the eggplant in the oven with a little olive oil and seasoning and then add towards the end of the cooking. I personally prefer the roasted taste more.*

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high. Stir in mushrooms, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the eggplant, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth and olives. Season with thyme, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Toss with pasta and goat cheese.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote