Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1 - Barley, Sausage and Veggie Soup

Barley, Sausage and Veggie Soup - my measurements are not exact , but as with any homemade soup.. using your own ratios is what makes it your own!

14 oz Smoked Turkey Sausage, cut into bite sized pieces - if you are a vegetarian, use a soy based sausage
1-2T olive oil
1/2 c - 1 cup diced onions - any type
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 - 1t Italian Seasoning, dried
48 ounces of chicken or vegetable stock
1 10oz package of frozen spinach (or a bunch of fresh chopped up if you have it)
1/4 c- 1/2 cup of uncooked barley
extra veggies of your choice - broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers, cauliflower, eggplant, mushrooms, snow peas, tomatoes.. etc what ever is on the Wave 1 approved vegetable list

In a big soup pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and garlic. Add in the sausage, italian seasoning, stock, spinach and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30-45 minutes (until the barley and veggies are tender) You'll have to play by ear when to add the extra veggies. Some will take more time than other to cook, other like canned tomatoes are already cooked and can be tossed in at the last minute.

Wave 2 additions - carrots, sweet potato, peas.. etc
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #2  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Linda, I am making this recipe this weekend! I can't wait. I adore the Jennie-O sweet Italian sausage, but I guess it is not smoked, is that OK? I was just planning on browning it first.
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #3  

No Problem Jess.. Smoked is just what I happened to have. The main thing is that it is a lean turkey sausage
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/212/200

Default Yummy for my tummy

This looks soooo good...I am going to have to try it soon. Sounds great especially for these really cold nights we are having!

~Liz
IMSuperMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #5  
Love to Ride :-D

Height: 5'4" (shrinking - eeek!)

Default Barley, Sausage & Veggie Soup

HH and I made this soup yesterday and IT IS WONDERFUL!!!

Thank you, LindaT!!

We used the Butterball Smoked Turkey Sausage and added a can of Italian red and white kidney beans at the end.

Cold here today (for us!) so this will be fun to have on the stove all day.
flsunbakd is offline   Reply With Quote