Zucchini

• We have lots of zucchini and all my friends and neighbors lock their car doors so I can't unload on them. I'm looking for your favorite way to prepare them as a side dish or vegetable. I belong to allrecipe.com plus some other recipe sites but nothing beats your personal favorites. I'm not looking for anything sweet, we're not bread, dessert types. Please post your favorites, Thanks!
  • oven fried zucchini
    1. Cut zucchini into strips like French fries.
    2. Dip strips into skim milk
    3. Dip those into italian style breadcrumbs
    4. Layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping once in the middle.

Great alone or served with grated parmesean.
  • Thanks, sound good! I'll try that.
  • I don't know why this is so good, but it is. Cut the zucchini in spears. Toss with your favorite lf or allowed dressing. Balsamic is my favorite. Dump it on the grill and turn so each side grills. friends who don't eat zucchini, or even veggies, love this.

I also like it sauteed then mixed with salsa and served with refried beans. It's so inexpensive right now it's finding its way into almost everything here!
  • Dijon Carrots & Zucchini
    1.5 cups carrots, cut in thin 2-inch sticks
    2 Tablespoons fat-free chicken broth
    1.5 cups zucchini cut in thin 2-inch sticks
    1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon honey (I used 1 packet splenda)
    1.5 teaspoons dijon mustard.
    Directions:
    1. Combine carrots and broth in saucepan. Cover & cook 10 minutes. Add zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes or until veggies are just tender. Add more broth if necessary to keep from burning.
    2. Stir vinegar, honey and mustard into veggies. Cook for a few minutes until liquid cooks off.
    4 servings
  • We use grey Celtic salt, it looks gross but taste fantastic!
  • I spritz zuc with olive oil, sprinkle with fresh snipped basil and parsley and a little salt and grill on my george forman. I also like it diced up and added to my marinara sauce.
  • Cream of Zucchini Soup
    2 medium zucchini, grated
    2 medium carrots, grated
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup butter
    4 tablespoons flour
    2 13 1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
    4 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper

Place grated zucchini in a colander; sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30 minutes. Drain well. Saute’ grated and chopped vegetables in butter, until slightly limp. Stir in flour and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add chicken broth and stir until smooth. Add grated cheese and stir until melted. Add milk, salt and pepper. Serves 6.

Another variation is to replace the Monterey Jack with half a block of Fat Free cream cheese, which, I find makes the soup creamier. Also, add a clove of minced garlic in with the veggies.
  • Bless you, this sounds really good. I just made a copy of it and will try it today using the fat free cream cheese. I'll eliminate the butter and use zero calorie butter spray and substitute the flour with part whole wheat and part Guar Gum (thickener) to make it more diet friendly. I'll add garlic too, we use garlic like Emeril.
  • Let me know how it works using the other thickener. I've been trying to figure out whether whole wheat flour would work, and I've not been quite brave enough to try. I've used olive oil instead of butter with good results (though the butter tastes better of course ). My compromise has been to use that olive oil margerine.
  • I'll let you know this afternoon, the gum guar is used in many foods you buy at the store. It's used in jams, soups, salad dressing, sauces, syrups, baked goods, juices and dairy products. 1/2 teaspoon thickens 1 cup of liquid and has 5 calories. So this will reduce the total calories by quite a bit.
  • Sorry, I didn't have time to get back to you when I said I would, then I forgot. (Senior Moment)
    I didn't follow through with the recipe because of the following reasons:
    Instead of 2 zucchini, I used over 6 pounds zucchini, less all the seeds. I always take the seeds and soft center out.
    I only had 4 carrots left and they were going into the Elk Roast, so I skipped them. I used dehydrated onion which has much less calories, fresh garlic (lots) and 4 chicken bouillion cubes with 4 cups water. I cooked this up until soft and guess what? It was quite thick so I didn't add the milk, butter or flour/gum guar. I only had 6 oz. of fat free cream cheese left, stirred that in and made it very creamy. I did add some Tone's "Garden" seasoning along with the salt & pepper. It was delicious, DH thought it was Cream of Broccoli soup.
    The best part was only 52 calories in a 8oz. serving. I topped it with some spray "I don't believe it's not butter" and some veggie parmesan cheese. I ate two serving of it the first day I made it, yum.
    The batch made 12.8 servings of 8 oz. each. I froze it in zip bags for future use this winter. Thanks for the recipe, even tho I didn't add everything. The Fat free cream cheese is what made it so smooth and creamy.

Quote:
    Let me know how it works using the other thickener. I've been trying to figure out whether whole wheat flour would work, and I've not been quite brave enough to try. I've used olive oil instead of butter with good results (though the butter tastes better of course ). My compromise has been to use that olive oil margerine.