Old 09-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #1  
SleepySleepTech

S/C/G: 224/211/135

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy What if your a picky eater??

Hello all...

I haven't started anything yet, and I'm new to the forums. I lost 19lbs after having foot surgery to repair a broken ankle, and I absolutely LOVED the feeling, comments, and feel of being 19lbs lighter. I went back to work and have sadly gained 6 of those 19lbs back. The girls I work with order out EVERY day... No kidding....

I'm also a Dr Pepper addict and that will be hard to break. I'm a sleep technician, so I have medical knowledge, but I'm no MD by any means. My education is similiar to a LPN or an RN area. I got my health scare while recovering from surgery and I haven't told anyone. I had an episode which I can only describe as scary. Based on my background, I have a feeling it was some type of tachycardia. My heart would speed up, and it would be difficult to obtain breath, as if I couldn't breath on my own. It lasted 2-3 seconds all together.

It scared me so much I had an EKG test done. I have checked with my PCP, and based on the EKG test results, and blood test, she cannot see a reason for the type of activity, yet she yeilds knowledge of my recent weight gain. She urged the weight loss, as I'm starting to feel the health consequences to weight gain - heart abnormalties. I already have the depression associated with weight gain, but that is well under control now. I'm on anti-convulsant (Depakote ER) due to hx of seizures and its helping with the depression, but its a weight gainer.

My question is.... I'm a picky eater. I dont like lettuce, can't digest tomatoes and red meat too well, and I dont like guacamole. There are other things, but those are the main ones. Can you still lose on this plan if you are a picky eater??

I would love responses.. either here, or by private message...

I will check back often.

Sharon
SleepySleepTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #2  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

well you can absolutely lose despite lettuce, red meat, tomatoes and guacamole, lol. Seriously the plan is very varied and can be personalized to what you do like to eat quite well. The basics are fresh, unprocessed whole foods, prepared w/lots of flavors from spices.

There are some great links at the top of the page that will explain in more detail what to expect. Also check out the book from a library and see if you think you could eat the choices.

You do need to eat veggies but lettuce and tomato are just the beginning. Do you have any favorites? do you like skinless chicken? seafood?

I think it's a great super versatile plan and will teach you to eat healthy so even if the girls order out, you can make the best choices and not feel deprived. Give it a whirl!!
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #3  

Default It's all about trying new things...

Welcome. Sure you can lose on this plan, but I think back to when I was a kid. I hated to try ANYTHING that was new, different.. etc. My Mom's rule was.. "Try a bite, if you don't like it.. that's fine, but at least try it". Most of the time I tried stuff and liked it. So you have to be willing I think on any plan to try new things, step outside the box so to speak because eating the same thing over and over again is going to get very boring.

Lettuce.. there are scads of varietes of lettuce. Have you tried more than a couple? Tomatoes.. is it the skins you cannot digest, or is it the acid? What about canned tomatoes.. tomato sauce.. etc.. sun dried tomatoes? I personally don't care for red meat as much as chicken or fish but I can eat it if it is sliced very thinly, like it broccoli beef or something like that. Guacamole.. there are other types of guacamole.. I actually saw Broccamole in the store the other day.. Made with broccoli. But not liking guacamole isn't the end of the world. Just like not liking cilantro or lime or any other flavors. You just experiement with a recipe and change it to your liking. They aren't set in stone and changing them is what makes it fun.

You can make very yummy meals to take to work with you that the girls will be jealous to see you eat!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Try focusing on foods you DO like rather than on foods you think you should have. Make a list of foods you do like (classified by 4 basic food groups and by the 3 types of meals and snacks). You might be suprised at how varied it actually is.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am not on Sonoma... or any diet... so don't want to give advice where I am not knowledgeable. So my intent is not to advise but just to encourage you to branch out and try new things. I am finding that as I do that there are many of them that I like or can learn to like... many of which I tried maybe as a kid or at some point in my life.

I also see you have gotten some great advice here so I will just wish you the very best in your weight loss journey!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #6  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Oh I can relate! I felt like I was reading my own story here! lol.

I know what you mean about work and ordering out! Its an epidemic where I work as well! My suggestions is to pack lunch, like suggested here OR order healthier foods, if you do order out. Now a days most restaurants do have healthy menus.

The meds I'm on that makes me gain is for my Diabetes. I feel like I'm walking uphill backwards sometimes! lol.

I guess the main thing is do not give up! That is my biggest piece of advice! There are lots of great people here to help and lots of great reading material, so read up!

Also maybe incorporate some healthy foods into foods you already love? Like adding your favorite fruit to your favorite cereal or Oatmeal? Adding some veggies to your favorite pasta dish? That is some of the things I try to do.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote