Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

Hello all,

I'm off for a long weekend but wanted to post before I left. Yesterday I did my abs dvd and took a 20 minute power walk (then it started to pour). Today I got up and did 45 minutes walking/jogging on the treadmill. I'm proud of myself for making time to exercise before I left. In the past, that would have been the first thing to go. Not anymore!

Mummy Tummy - I'm pumped up just reading your post! Good for you!

Have a great weekend!!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 178/153/145

Hi gang:

I am sorry I haven't been as active here lately. I had my grandson here for a week, and then all day today with my husband at the hospital for an MRI.

I did manage to get in some weight training, 45 min. Yesterday, I swam for an hour at the lake. Nothing strenous, just easy strokes and kicks to keep me moving.

I am now officially healed from the cold that lasted over two weeks. Yippee!!!

Tomorrow it is 45 min. lower body, and 30 min. on the treadmill.

I have a new goal. Walk the 500 mile Camino trail through parts of France and into Spain. I am really excited to think that I might be able to do it. I ordered two books on it today.

I know two women who have done it, one in her fifties like me, and the other in her twenties. People in their sixties do it. I can do it too.

Stay cool friends, the temp is rising. Watch the heat while doing outdoor sports.

~Cate
Old 06-22-2006, 11:03 PM   #78  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy
Not sure why I sometimes slide into the blahs and put off exercise when I know the incredible rush (physical and mental) that I get from it.
When you've solved that riddle, let me know. I'd like to know what makes me behave this way too when "good free feeling" is only a workout away.

Cate, are you talking about going the entire 500 miles????

Today was an 8 mile bike ride round trip to our nearest store. It's good that the store isn't further away cause in the heat I barely made it back.

3 miles on the treadmill in exactly 60 min. I should have done resistance training instead but didn't feel like it.

Last edited by Jayde; 06-22-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:41 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 184/161/139???

Height: 5' 3"

Wow Cate, what a challenge!! You don't do things by halves!!

It's fantastic that everyone has the blah's but is still exercising and still here! I knocked 1 minute off my run time this morning but hated it. But at least I did it. Spinning after work then lovely rest day tomorrow.

Have a great day!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:47 AM   #80  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Cate, tell me more about this Camino Trail. Do you walk and camp or is there accomodation along the way? How long is the average trip? My husband just told me about the Pennine Way - http://www.thepennineway.co.uk/ - and I am now looking at that very seriously. It's about half the distance as Camino so maybe a good starter? And of course, my husband has always wanted to trek the Himalayas and we have decided to do that once our daughter is old enough to stay with the grandparents for the duration.

My sister was like why on earth would you want to spend a holiday walking instead of lounging around but it seems very spiritual to me and a way of connecting with the past. After all, back in the day, all long journeys were by the scenic footpath!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #81  

Hi Ladies:

Here is a link to some information on the Camino walk. http://<br /> http://www.idealspain...ago_camino.htm

The walk is usually started in the early morning and ends at one of many refugios, for the pilgrims that walk the trail. You take enough money from an ATM machine weekly to pay for your food along the way. You do not buy anything or take anything along with you that you are not willing to pack and carry.

My friend even left her sleeping bag and pad along the way because the weight was too much for her. She took no makeup, no book, no jewelrey, nothing more than a change of clothes, and her passport, ATM card.

She said it was the most wonderful thing she ever did in her life, and would do it again, blisters and all.

She also said that she got stronger as the walk progressed. That was good news. I could imagine me dragging myself across the city limits.

The walk took her about 5 weeks. Some take longer, some take less. The cost was airfare, and food. Food she said cost her about $20.00 or less a day, depending on whether you are in the city or in the country.

If you complete the walk and get your walking passport stamped each night at the refugios, Iberia airlines will give you a 50% off return ticket to anywhere you want to go.

There is a lot more for me to learn before I do it, but I am really excited about doing it. Shirley Maclaine wrote a book about her walk on the Camino. I think it is just called The Camino.

Well, I have to go to the gym and work the lower part of my body and jump on the treadmill.

Mummy Tummy, thanks for that link, I haven't heard of that and will definitely add it to my list of walks to investigate.

I hope everyone perks up, I have been pretty depressed lately and I hate it.

~Cate
Old 06-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #82  

One more thing, I forgot to mention. Linda said the food is usually meat, veggies, and wine. Right in line with this diet!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #83  

Cate- that sounds absolutely wonderful. If you've been feeling a bit down then a goal may help you a lot. I've been to Spain a few times and the food is wonderful- fresh, tasty and high protein.

I ran this morning have just been spinning (the teacher changed the playlist to 80s music so I was bopping away to Spandau ballet!)
Old 06-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #84  

PS. Mummy_Tummy- I forgot to mention the Peak District is beautiful (my sister lives really near)You should try that, or the North Yorkshire Moors, or the Lake District...

So many good places and so little time!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #85  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

I love all of this exciting chatter about distance walking in foreign landscapes! How cool!!! Cate - I am wondering what kind of terrain the Camino walk offers - both Spain and France can vary so much between flat and mountains - do you know yet?? I am just such a short plane ride away it seems the perfect opportunity to for me to do something like this now...My wedding will be in Spain in September. I'm not sure if I like the idea of a 500 mile walk honeymoon though !!!

I have been sweating again and it feels sooooo good! Today was a whopper day - 35 minutes eliptical, 15 minutes rowing, 20 minutes resistance ball and 20 minutes weights, and lots and lots of city walking too. I am pooped! Plan to do a similar routine tomorrow.

Have a great weekend all!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #86  
The Beauty of Balance

That Camino trail really sounds like an adventure. Wow.

4.1 miles in 73 minutes on the mill this morning.
I had every intention of doing weights but came home to relax for a minute and just started vegitating.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #87  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Today is a planned off day but I'm sort of feeling "in da mood". We'l have to see...

Is everyone having a nice week end?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #88  

Hello, new here...I haven't exercised in 2 years!! besides walking...I dragged out my old exercise tapes and bought one of the exercise balls. (I don't want to join a gym yet, and my face turns the color of an eggplant the minute I start exercising...people always ask me if I am ok..lol)

The ball was difficult...kept rolling off of it..pathetic..glad nobody could see me!! Anyway, the video work out was hard and now I can barely walk or get up and down from a seating position. How disturbing is that!! I am mortified I let myself get this out of shape. What the hey was I thinking???
Old 06-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #89  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Weeble! Welcome! The ball is such a challenge at first isn't it?!? I am still trying to get the hang of it and often feel like I am going to just fall right off! It gets easier with practice though and as you build your strenght. Don't give up!

I was so exhausted at the gym today, I could hardly manage my normal routine. I don't know what was up but I'm thinking maybe I just overdid it yesterday and was feeling the effects today. I managed 30 minutes of cardio, however I did sweat like a pig and didn't have the resistance up as high as usual. I did lots of stretching rather that weights. I think it's what my body needed. Tomorrow is not a gym day. Chat with you all soon though
Old 06-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #90  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish4fit
I did lots of stretching rather that weights. I think it's what my body needed. Tomorrow is not a gym day. Chat with you all soon though
Good to see you listening to your body. Have a relaxing Sunday.

Hi Weeble! I also have trouble with the ball. But I love the workout!

Yesterday I mowed the lawn .. it took 2 hours. That kind of exercise is sweaty and dirty. I'm glad to do it... but even happier when it is done.
Closed Thread