Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default Trigger foods

Does anyone have trigger foods? (they cause me to binge)

I have such a LONG list I dont know what to eat?

Bread in ANY form, whole wheat and regular,
Sugar in any form
I cannot even have sugar free ice cream in the house.
no low fat snacks of ANY KIND!
I only keep oatmeal in the house. (i hope that dont trigger)
I CANNOT keep crackers of ANY kind in the house,
No cakes
NO pre made foods like pizza's, dinners, hot pockets.
Not even smart ones.
No rice
Dont know about brown rice?
Potatos, corn, peas.
White noodles. (I am testing whole noodles now)

these trigger foods also give me major carb headackes and I feel bad the whole day after eating them.

I think I need to stay away from meat also; since doing atkins off and on I have had a continuous deep congestion in my lungs. This started a few days after I started atkins.

This is from another post of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by treecricket
Hi everyone.
I have had the flu a few weeks ago, but ever sense I have had a deep cough and congestion for the weeks (3 weeks of coughing and wheezing) following. Actually I had been doing atkins off and on for the past few months because my Doctor told me to lose weight if I want to Carry a baby; it was supposed to control my hormones??? That is when this cold started (now that I look back); when I started to consume all this meat; now I am thinking that atkins did this to me; I guess I am just babbling on and on. I really wish I didnt follow the doc's advice.
I should have known better.

I know if I go veggie this will go away. I think it is all the animal products that are doing this to me.
Anyways i am going to read Dr.Phil's book to get motivated. At least until I get a diet figured out.
But I think the Sonoma diet is out; I think I will just have to do the Med. diet and keep my trigger foods out of my life.

Did you ever get over your trigger foods? If so how?
Any advice for my situation?

Last edited by treecricket; 02-10-2006 at 12:02 PM.
treecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

I don't have any advice regarding trigger foods because I still have problems and still struggle with that. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone. But you know what? The last time I binged on a trigger food (my hubby's leftover birthday cake a couple of weeks ago), it was more out of habit than craving. Because it was there, I mindlessly ate it "because I like sweet-fat foods." And it didn't taste that good. And it didn't satisfy anything - physical or mental. So ... I think I've identified my problem and have to work on it. For some of us, the process just takes time.

I wonder why you believe meat caused your illness? Do you think it is due more to a weakened immune system, perhaps exacerbated by an unbalanced diet, rather than meat itself? Atkins doesn't exactly encourage a healthy, balanced diet and I think a lack of nutrients may be more to blame. But I'm no doctor and you must do what you feel is best. I would encourage you to make sure that whatever diet you select is healthy and balanced.

Good luck!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Since I'm a "pescetarian" (eat fish but no meat) --

I would encourage you to try a vegetarian diet if you believe you might feel better on it. That is, if you enjoy vegetables and are open to trying new foods you might not eat regularly, such as tofu. My husband's niece says she is a vegetarian, yet she doesn't enjoy vegetables. Mostly what she eats seem to be Oreos and such. You need to eat a healthy, balanced diet whether you are an omivore or a vegetarian.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #4  

Sounds like you definitely have a blood sugar problem because of the cravings. Actually, a good carb diet like the Sonoma Diet would really help. The problem is being able to stay on it for the few days it takes for the blood sugar to calm down. Good Luck in whatever you do.
wil2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #5  

Before I decided not to give Sonoma a try I would at least do wave one which is for 10 days only......this goes a long way in helping with those cravings, that is what it is designed to do...and if you eat what is recommended and the right portions I would imagine some of those cravings would dissapear

Good Luck
luvthosenails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #6  

I have been on sonoma now 8 days. I have lost 8 1/2 lbs. Today was a day that started out right and went wrong. I ate stuff that I can usually keep my hands off of but I feel tomorrow is another day to get back to it. (I had tasty cakes of all things...2 packs but not at the same time) and 1/2 a pbutter and jelly....that was my dinner....so, I will chalk it up to what sf40 said...it was mindless eating, didn't satisfy me and didn't taste that good. I am trying not to beat myself up about it either. I know I am human therefore I make mistakes. I do like the foods in this diet. They are very tasty. I may stay on wave 1 an extra day due to this little set back...
Thanks for listening and good luck to treecricket in whatever you choose to do.
poohbear65 is offline   Reply With Quote