Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 AM   #1  

Default I'm here....

Ok so I started the Sonoma diet this morning. I was going to try the South Beach diet (a friend had suggested it to me) but I was walking through Sam's last week saw this book figured what the heck and bought it. We bought groceries for this week yesterday morning, so we're (mainly me I'll just be dragging my husband along for dinner) on our way.

I would like to know if anyone has noticed a change in their health by being on the diet. I actually have high cholesterol. My sister does as well and my dad, grandma, and grandpa all died somewhat young from heart attacks. Reading through the book it talked a lot about these foods improving heart health, so I was just wondering if it were true.

Oh and by the way I'm Courtney. I'm wanting to lose between 10-15 lbs, but more importantly I really want to learn how to eat healthy. I know it sounds dumb but I really don't know what it and what isn't healthy (I mean I know a few obvious ones but that's about it). Thanks a lot guys...
PinkGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #2  

Hi Courtney,

I have noticed a difference in my health with this plan. I haven't had my annual physical yet, so I don't know what the points difference is. I drag my husband along for dinner also, but he started the whole thing today. He too says that he feels different. He has high cholesterol and heart disease runs in his family. His annual physical is in June, so we are anxious to see what kind of affect this eating plan has on his numbers in June.
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #3  

The primary reason I chose the Mediterranean way of eating was for heart health. My choles. was borderline high before.. due to not eating right and just plain being overweight. My choles now is even lower than normal.. is in the Optimal range so I cannot speak highly enough about it. I also take fish oil caps, on the advice of my physician as I had some trouble getting my HDL or good choles high enough. Now it is just as good as the rest of my readings.

I cannot emphasize enough that just eating right isn't the whole package. We must do intentional exercise several days a week ( I do 5-6 myself) Even if we never lose another pound, we must exercise.

And that's my Monday morning sermon.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #4  

Courtney
I started today too. I am very excited about this way of life. My husband is fairly fit but is reading the book now. Maybe he will give up the tasty cakes and join me for his heart. Kathy
spcdcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 AM   #5  

Thanks guys. This is really a big change for me because I am the pickiest person on the planet. About the only vege I actually like that is on teir one is lettuce. Although I actually started yesterday my husband and I cooked according to the plan on Sunday night as well and I had a few slices of peppers then and last night I had some broccoli. I told my mom that I was going to try it out and she said "you don't like any of those foods". I know mom thanks, I'm going to start to like them though.

Again thanks for your answers.

Oh and Linda you'll be happy to know(well somewhat happy) I was going to do 45 minutes of cardio yesterday but shortly after breakfast I started feeling sick so I didn't. I did get in 15 minutes of yoga just to make sure I did something and I will do the cardio today as long as long as I keep feeling the way I do now. I agree with you one the excerise and really need to get into a routine of doing it more often. That's another goal.
PinkGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

I tolerate most vegetables but always found reasons to not eat them. But the recipes in the book are so good that I look forward to eating vegetables now. You may discover that you like vegetables more than you think because it often has to do with how they are prepared.

Welcome and hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf40
I tolerate most vegetables but always found reasons to not eat them. But the recipes in the book are so good that I look forward to eating vegetables now. You may discover that you like vegetables more than you think because it often has to do with how they are prepared.

Welcome and hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us!
I always say there usually is way for all of us to like almost any veggie. We just have to find the right recipe .... one that isn't downing in butter, cheese or fried.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #8  
Cat Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGal
I told my mom that I was going to try it out and she said "you don't like any of those foods". I know mom thanks, I'm going to start to like them though.
That's how I feel about fish! But I've been eating it 2 or 3 times per week, and lo and behold, I really am starting to like it. Well, mild, non-fishy-tasting fish, anyway. But it's a start!

Jeri
terravita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT
I always say there usually is way for all of us to like almost any veggie. We just have to find the right recipe .... one that isn't downing in butter, cheese or fried.
Before starting the Sonoma Diet, I was getting really bored with vegetables ... my method of preparation was steam, steam, steam to avoid all that other bad (but yummy) stuff. I love the vegetable recipes in the Sonoma Diet book and really look forward to trying those posted above!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote