Old 01-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1, Day 1 - Breakfast question?

Hi all.. I have just bought the book and have decided to give this diet a try after all.

I have a question if anyone can help...since I don't eat eggs at all or cereal, I thought I would try either Turkey bacon or turkey sausage and a slice of whole wheat grain bread for breakfast. Since this is a 25/75 plate, do I line up the sausage to fill the 75%? I guess that would give me about 10 sausage links...is that too much for one meal?

Would appreciate any comments. much thanks.

Dianne
DiRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #2  
it's always something

It seems like a lot of sausage for one meal, but I'm not sure. I've loaned out my book and can't check the details. Is the turkey sausage very low fat? I'll see if the Sonoma nutritionist has said anything about it on the official site.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #3  

I am at work right now and don't have the book with me, but what I would suggest is taking a look at some of the breakfasts listed for Wave 1 and see how many pieces of sausage/bacon the breakfasts contain. I would say that 10 pieces might be a bit much. You might round out your meal with a piece of low fat cheese, some nuts.. etc. You don't have to eat breakfasty foods for breakfasts. Maybe a piece of cold chicken and some whole grains and veggies.. be creative!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:54 PM   #4  
it's always something

The nutritionist says the breakfast portion of protein would be about 2 ounces. She said 2 eggs would be the equivalent of 2 oz protein. Or you could substitute 2 oz of lean meat, such as Canadian bacon. She doesn't mention turkey sausage specifically, but does say that chicken sausage should be eaten only occasionally and not regularly, because of the high saturated fat content. I think chicken and turkey sausage are about the same in fat content.

Turkey bacon - 2 strips equals one protein, and you get two protein ounces per breakfast. However, she says you should not eat 4 slices of bacon, but should have 2 slices of bacon and 1 egg.

You could eat other types of protein, like chicken breasts as Linda suggested. It may not seem traditional, but it's healthier than sausage, and you can do some pretty interesting things with it.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #5  

Wow you can have turkey sausage and turkey bacon on this plan? Gee WW doesn't allow that unless you use your flex pts and this is so great. What brand turkey sausage do you buy? Would the Healthy Choice sausage work (link) or would I suppose I could make my own from scratch with ground turkey. This diet is looking better and better..I am not deluding myself though. I know its going to be rough getting the sugar out of diet and if I can get past the 10 days I will have it made..barb
wv_lady_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #6  

I actually have two recipes posted in the recipe forum for homemade turkey sausage. I've never tried either, but you can and let us know.

if you buy a commerically prepared sausage, look for one with no transfats and little saturated fats.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #7  
it's always something

Another non-egg-cereal breakfast suggestion would be 2 slices of whole grain bread with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. This would fit in with the 50/50 breakfast bowl. Make toast or a sandwich Or have two ounces of canadian bacon with one slice toast for the 75/25 option.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #8  
it's always something

Linda, your turkey sausage recipes sound good! I'll bet if you had a meat grinder or good food processor, you could grind your own turkey breast to control the fat content. I know some fat is necessary, so it's not dry or tough, but I always wonder if they have to include as much as they do.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #9  

Well one way to help keep lower fat meats moist is to have things like onions, peppers or even fruit in them.. I learned that from Rachael Ray!! I would make these with turkey breast myself, maybe a half recipe to try it out first.

A meat grinder is yet another item on my " I want list"
Old 01-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #10  

Wow, so many suggestions and so fast. You guys are great. Thanks so much.
I guess I was thinking that you had to fill the plate. Two oz of meat sounds much more like it. The peanut butter on toast is a good suggestion too.

I think I'll be ok to start first thing tomorrow morning...I'll check in with you all.

Thanks again. Dianne
DiRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #11  

Hey I will check out that turkey sausage recipe. Hmmm you can have peanut butter on this plan? Amazing. I love a little peanut butter. I can eat a tbl just on a spoon very slowly. I love the crunchy kind. The diet looks more and more like a plan I can stick with. I sure hope so...barb
Old 01-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #12  

Oh by the way, where is the recipe forum? Oh I wanted to mention I have an electric food grinder..barb
Old 01-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #13  

Oh never mind, I found the recipe forum lol..barb