Old 01-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #16  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Laurie, try the Kashi cereal called 'Good Friends' its much better

Gee Suzanne, I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats chili for breakfast lol. Although I do like eggs but not every day. I much rather have a hardy breakfast than a sugary one (donuts do nothing for me at 8 am, ick....before bed's another story).
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #17  

Default Steel Cut Oats

Hi Everyone,

I was just reading your posts about Steel Cut Oats taking to long to cook in the morning. Here is a WW recipe that might help some of you;

Crockpot Oatmeal

4 Servings – 2pts ea

1 cup steel cut oats (5pts)
2 T Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup chopped Granny Smith apples (1pt)
4 cups water
1/4 cup skim milk ( ¼ pt) **
1/4 cup ff sour cream (1pt) **

(7.25 pts for the whole pot)

**NOTE the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup half and half. I've found the skim milk/ff sour cream in equal ratio combo to be a good replacement - however, you could also use fat-free 1/2 and 1/2 and count 1 pt per serving (if you're following Core)
Also, you can add a ¼ - ½ cup Splenda if you like.

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

I am on Day 2 of doing the cold turkey no sugar. So far it's not too bad. I purged my office of all the "goodie" presents that I received and I'm keeping my glass filled with water or hot tea and having Wave I veggies for snacks.

-Connie
Connie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #18  

Default Hello

I've just joined the forum and am thinking of starting Sonoma. I lost on Atkins and liked it but always thought I should have whole grains also. I can't wait to get the book and begin. Being overweight most of my life, and 49 years old, I find I don't lose fast. I figured a good weight loss program I enjoy may keep me on the diet.
CherylA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #19  

Thank you for the cereal recommendations. I actually like GoLean Crunch (not as much as Honey Bunches of Oats, Trix, or even Vanilla Special K, but at least it doesn't taste like I'm eating bark!). That oatmeal recipe sounds delicious, thanks Connie! I've been making way too big a deal about this darn cereal issue, but I know that if I start the day feeling deprived it will be that much harder to maintain throughout the rest of the day!

Petra, I think a "brand name" thread or food journal thread is a good idea, and I'll start one, maybe beginning with...oh...CEREAL!

Laurie
Writersblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #20  
Love to Ride :-D

Height: 5'4" (shrinking - eeek!)

Default Hi Everyone!

WritersBlock told me about this site and I couldn't wait to see what's going on here! I started the Sonoma Diet this week and so far, so good. I like the idea of mixing the lean meats for lower fat with the whole grains & olive oil while cutting out the evil white carbs.

I'll be 55 in April and really need to get this 35 lbs off. I lost them about 3 years ago with the Suzanne Sommers Diet, but since then, repeat attempts have led to nothing but frustration. My husband and I both like to cook and eat Mediterranean style, so am hoping Sonoma will fit into our lifestye for a lifetime change.
flsunbakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #21  

Hello all you new ladies. if you like good food you've come to the right place.

Poke around, ask questions... and get ready to exercise!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:09 AM   #22  

Hi Linda! Thanks for the welcome. Your ticker is an inspiration -- how proud you must be (and deservedly so!!). My goal is to get this weight off (yet again) and KEEP IT OFF!!

Yes, I'm heading back to the gym tomorrow! And, I'll be walking more often when at work. I work at an arts college, so a quick 15 min. break can turn into a nice walk around the campus.

Hi sweet Jill! I think this site is going to be GREAT!!

Laurie
Writersblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #23  
Love to Ride :-D

Height: 5'4" (shrinking - eeek!)

Thanks for the welcome everyone! And thanks so much, Laurie, for bringing me to this forum. You're the best Lose the Fat Buddy and now we'll have even more support! :

GOOD NEWS, Friends! I have lost three pounds!!!

Here's the next obstacle: Olive Garden with friends on Friday night. But ~~~ There's Good News! I went to their menu online and there are four good choices from their Grille that will help me stay on Sonoma. All are basted w/ extra virgin olive oil & spices and served with broccoli!!

I AM STRONG, GIRLS!! I WILL NOT EAT THE BREADSTICKS!!
But I will have that glass of fine red wine with dinner...even tho I'm still on Wave 1.
flsunbakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #24  
Canada

Congrats Jill. You are so funny. I think I will enjoy reading your posts.

We eat out ALOT at fancy resturants. It is gonna be a challenge. Hubby is a custom home builder and we eat out a few nights a week. The best part of finer dining is, (most of them anyway) have proper food portions. We are going to a steakhouse tomorrow night.. I think I am having salad and the seafood... sounds boring, but actually it is really good! Can I have creme brulee?
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #25  
Sexy grandma

Height: 5'5"

Default About to start diet

Hi everyone! I should be receiving the book this week. I'm really excited about this new "eating plan". I've tried WW and SBD with some success, but keep backsliding. I like low-carb eatiing but miss my bread, so I'm hoping the Sonoma Diet will ease the pain.
winelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #26  

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by winelover
Hi everyone! I should be receiving the book this week. I'm really excited about this new "eating plan". I've tried WW and SBD with some success, but keep backsliding. I like low-carb eatiing but miss my bread, so I'm hoping the Sonoma Diet will ease the pain.
Welcome Janice. I love this way of eating myself. Been following this style for years and rarely have felt deprived. So many yummy flavors. Please stick around, ask questions and make sure you post on the exercise thread.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #27  
Canada

Well, We went to the steakhouse and I ordered Goat cheese, toasted Melba ( I think) and bruchetts for an appitizer. For main chourse, Scallops and Shrimp and it had a tomato chunky topping and then the sides were roasted mushrooms and green beans.. Skipped the pototoes... and I cheated with desert.. It was a Panna Cotta.. ( Like creme brulee) but it was small and covered in almonds. 1 glass of wine and I was so stuffed!
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Default GoLean cereal

Hi.. .Isnt GoLean a Kashi cereal??? I believe there are several others in the Kashi family that have nearly the same fiber content, not sure about the sugar though.... Maybe some homemade muffins packed with fiber, like flax, bran ect, or even oats would be good for breakfast....I hope my book comes very soon.. Have a great evening... India
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I eat breakfast, because so many studies have shown that it helps weight loss. But I don't normally eat traditional breakfasts. I'll have stir fry, veggie chili, soup, sandwich, or whatever sounds good. I did have eggs and toast yesterday and today, as outlined in the book, and I enjoyed it. But I'm sure I will get bored because I'm not a big fan of eggs, and am looking forward to suggestions. I love steel cut oats, and eat those when I want to devote 30 minutes to cooking them, lol.
Me too, I've been known to eat leftover dinner for breakfast, it sounds better, and I can only take so many egg or cereal dishes.
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I was in the bookstore tonight (which can be a dangerous place for me ) and I came across this book Called Low-Fat Lies which appears to be a book about the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet and includes a bunch of recipes. I'm wondering if Linda or any of the other Med. chicks is familiar with this book already. Interestingly, it is written by two scientists (one physician and one PhD) from Brown. As you may know, a lot of the NWCR research comes out of Brown and the NWCR tends to have a heavy low fat bias. I'm on a crusade to get low carbers to register for the NWCR just to balance out their database.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote