Old 01-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #31  
it's always something

Chocoholic, I noticed the same thing. I'm using the food list as a guide, but not a set in stone list. I'll just have to watch quantities and make sure the item is low in calories and seems to fit in with the other items. It is confusing. I wonder if they will do with this like they did with South Beach, and release updated food lists every now and then.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Not that I'm an expert on this diet or anything but I have read the book. From looking at the lists, it appears that the Wave 1 veggies are pretty much all the nonstarchy or "low carb" veggies, or "low glycemic" veggies, or whatever you want to call them and artichokes would certainly fall into that category. However, I just noticed, she has artichokes listed as tier 2 which you dont get to eat until Wave 2. Go figure? As for the olives, she certainly mentions olive oil as a power food and I think by extrapolation olives probably come close. I don't know if you have ever been to the Mediterranean but there are olive trees everywhere. Olives and olive products are staples of their lifestyle. It's amazing, but everyone knows exactly who owns each and every olive tree. (at least in the parts of Greece I visited). Olive trees are prized family heirlooms.

I had a couple questions as I read the book. I wonder what she thinks of flax seed bread and sprouted grain breads (like Ezekiel 4:9). I'm not sure they qualify as "whole grain" exactly but they certainly meet her fiber requirement. I also wonder what she thinks of Stevia. Anybody have any ideas or want to speculate?
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #33  
Empress/Queen

I use the Ezekiel sprouted grain breads on Sugar Busters ... they are on the "acceptible" list, even though some of them contain some sugar (to activate the yeast, I assume, though really there are other ways to do this) ... one of the Ezekiels (not sure o' the number, we have a whole selection in my store) has "malted barley sprouts" ... which I've never been able to decide if it's the same thing as "malted barley" ... a high glycemic sweetener that's "unacceptible" on Sugar Busters.

Sugar Busters gives thumbs up to Stevia ... so far what I can tell about Sonoma (haven't got the book OR the mag article ... it's not on the shelves), there's not much difference between what's "legal" between South Beach, Sugar Busters and Sonoma, so ... I want the book.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #34  
GARDENING ADDICT

I just bought some Ezekiel bread today (love this stuff) hoping that would be acceptable. It's so nutty and chewy and has just as much fiber as my WW bread. I also got the La Tortilla LF/LC WW tortillas w/herbs and garlic for my wraps.
2BFIT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #35  
Canada

Here is a great article on the author and a bunch of her writings.

http://www.calolive.org/nutritionist...ut_connie.html
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #36  
Empress/Queen

All the Ezekial varieties are awesome when broiled to a crisp in the oven and drizzled with a little olive oil!

Re Sonoma, I got the book and loved it, but other than the wine and milk with cereal in the induction phase, I am using it as an extension of South Beach, which in turn is a combo of Atkins and Sugar Busters. I loved the plate illustrations.

Not sure if this has been said here, but there's a one-week free trial mentioned in the book ... not sure if the website specifies this ...

This forum is a great idea for a healthy plan.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #37  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I'm intrigued by this plan

I'm currently doing WW but I already eat in the mediterranean style since I love Greek, Lebanese, Iranian and Italian food

I also believe in eating well, staying away from processed foods and fast food so, and I enjoy cooking - I might have to go pick up the book
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha

Not sure if this has been said here, but there's a one-week free trial mentioned in the book ... not sure if the website specifies this ...

I'd still be very careful with this site. I tried to get the one week free trial, but you have to enter a credit card number in order to even get the free period. Suzanne mentioned that her card was dinged before her free one week was up!!

Caveat Emptor!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #39  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I had the same thing happen when I was giving a "free -one visit only code" to the WW website. You had to put your credit card number in and then cancel if you did not want to sign up
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 224/160

Height: 5'5

Yes Hi
I would like to know if it is legal to start a Sonoma Diet support Group in my area. I have a very hard time trying to stick to any program and I thought if I could get a few people in my area who is on the diet and would like to meet each week to discuss progress or areas they my need help with and that it would help me as well. The only problem maybe locating a place to meet each week. Perhaps if there is enough interest, we all could chip in to rent a small space some where. Just thought I would ask before I went any further.

Thanks
abby
abby1990 is offline   Reply With Quote