Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/238/154

Height: 5'5

Talking Sonoma vs the Mediteranean Diet

I've tried reading up about these diets, but maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but what is the difference??

This sort of diet appeals to me and when I showed my partner the red wine bit he looked interested too, oddly enough, but I'm currently unsure which book to buy.

Anyone got some advice?

Thanks!!!
Oops A Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #2  
it's always something

The Mediterranean diet is basically a way of eating and focuses on eating certain kinds of foods. There are some limitations, such as rarely eating red meat, eat a little more chicken, and even more fish. There is a large focus on plant based foods, and an emphasis on exercise. However, the use of the word 'diet' is a reference to what they eat, and not a weight loss program. It's simply a healthy way of living that has been studied for many years because the people living in that region of the world have traditionally been healthier than in most other areas of the world. You can easily lose weight following a Med Diet way of living if you practice portion control in some form or another, such as counting calories, Weight Watcher Points, etc., just like any other weight loss diet. You just choose a healthier selection of foods which will make you feel better and live longer

The Sonoma Diet is a weight loss diet that was inspired by the Mediterranean diet, though it's not the same. The author focused on the many of the main points of the Med diet and rewrote them in a way that focused on portion control with the goal of weight loss. For her version of portion control, she used a plate for guidance. You fill so much of your plate with one kind of food, another portion with a different food, etc. And of course you get red wine, because it has been shown to be very beneficial to the health of those that live in the Mediterranean region. The Sonoma Diet is designed in 'waves' which are similar to the phases in the South Beach Diet. The first wave is the most restrictive, and the next 2 waves reintroduce foods.

Maybe your local library has a copy of the Sonoma Diet that you can browse or borrow before you buy? As far as the Mediterranean Diet, there have been many books written about it and they all basically cover the basics of the way of living. There are also a lot of websites that cover this as well. Basically, if you choose between Sonoma and the Med Diet, you will pick the one that fits your needs best. If you prefer to have everything laid out for you for portion control, food selection, and like the idea of the waves to help you get food cravings under control, the Sonoma Diet might work better for you. If you prefer to do your own thing but just know how to eat healthier while you do it, then following the guidelines of the Mediterranean Diet might fit you the best.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/238/154

Height: 5'5

Thanks, thats been a great help
Oops A Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #4  

Default Best people are on these forums

Hi,
I want to say thanks for the info also.

I am going to get out my Sonoma book again. I don't know how I drifted from it because it was working and the food was very good.

Good luck ot all.
Sheridan:
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

With all the positive news out about the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet, I'm still amazed this is not more popular.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #6  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I know. I saw the article in the New York Times about the study that came out last week about how healthy it is, I figured the traffic on the board would really pick up.

I am glad the board is here still and plan on posting more often here.
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/176/150

Height: 5'5''

I am of Mediterranean heritage and was brought up on a Mediterranean diet, however, the western diet has now taken over and I am overweight, so I'm thinking I'll go back to my heritage an eat what I used to!
SusanDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #8  

I loved the Sonoma recipes and felt just terrific eating that way. I'm going to get them out as well! My husband got a bit tired of it, longed for "old favorites" but you know...
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:04 AM   #9  

Both may include moderate red wine. Consider your preferences for phased-on continual lifestyle approaches when choosing a book.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote