Old 07-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #1  

Default Sonoma/Mediterranean weekly thread - 4 to 10 July

Looking back through the forum, I see there used to be weekly threads where people posted their menus and exercise etc - I thought it might be good to revive that. I'm not very good at keeping food journals, but posting here every day might make a good substitute! So I started Wave 1 today for the first time, and this is what I ate:

B: Weetabix crunchy bran with low-fat milk
L: Salad from the work canteen with eggs, cucumber, bell peppers, salad leaves, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and sunflower seeds
S: 11 almonds and a small handful of raspberries
D: Another salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, radish, cress, olives and feta cheese, and a portion of wholegrain crackers.

I wouldn't normally eat two salads in one day, but on Mondays I have to go straight from work to choir practice, so it was convenient. It all tasted pretty good, too. I did feel quite hungry before lunch and before my snack, but not unbearably so.

Exercise: 15 mins yoga, 1 hr walking.

How did everyone else do? I'm guessing it may have been a difficult day for American dieters because of the Fourth of July holiday.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3

I had a pretty good day yesterday except I didn't pull the skin off my chicken.
Stuck to the 9 inch plate rule tho and did not snack.
Woke up hungry today, I thing that is a good sign. Keep to a schedule.
Had Kashi go-lean cereal. Not as high fiber as she would like to see.
Lunch a ham sandwich and baked beans.
Dinner a pork medallion , snow peas and brown rice.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133/131/123

Height: 5'1'

Hello everyone!
I have been in and out for a year and my husband and I are fed up with our eating habits and decided last night after a day of 4th of July feasting that TODAY was the day to start over and mean it!!!
Today's menu: egg sandwich with a little cheese and LOTS of veggies for Breakfast
Large salad for lunch
Supper is going to be chicken, veggies and fruit
Keep us in your thoughts--my husband has high cholesterol and we don't want him to go on medicine!!!
I'll be thinking of you all too!
My weight has crept up over the past 2 years---I would be happy to maintain at 130.
We walk for exercise---and ride bikes if it is still light out when we get home.
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #4  

I'm so glad other people have joined in! Ping, I will definitely keep you and your husband in my thoughts. It seems we all did pretty well yesterday. Here is what I ate today on Wave 1:

B: Crunchy Bran with low-fat milk
L: Salad from the canteen at work with eggs, beans, broccoli, sunflower seeds, lettuce, olives, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes
D: Wholemeal English muffin with Quorn "beef" slices, cherry tomatoes and crumbled blue cheese - I was worried about how this would taste without butter, but it was delicious
S: Small handful of pecans, small handful of melon chunks

Exercise: 50 mins walking, 40 mins keep fit (this would normally be a 1-hour class, but today we had a charity fundraiser instead of a regular class, so the format was a bit different.)

I'm finding it pretty easy to stick to the plan so far. Today, I felt very hungry towards the end of the morning, but resisted having a snack because I knew I would want one during the break at our keep fit event. Later I had a headache, but I did get them a few times in the week or two before I started on Sonoma, so I'm not sure it was related. The salad I had for lunch was surprisingly filling, so I didn't feel hungry at all in the afternoon.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/195/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm doing the Mediterranean diet and would love to post a food journal sometimes, if you don't mind a non-Sonoma person posting.

I am vegetarian and struggle to add enough protein (besides cheese!) each day to my diet. I like beans but my husband is fairly indifferent to them and so i always intend to cook myself a side dish of chick peas...but usually don't manage to. I end up eating a lot of carbs and veggies. Wine is also my downfall. This is what i ate yesterday:

B: 2 slices multigrain bread w low-fat cream cheese
L: leftover spinach linguine w roasted tomatoes/capers/zucchini
S: spinach salad w peas and corn and 2 tblsp of the mac-n-cheese i made for my kids!
D: roasted (in about 1 tblsp olive oil) sliced potatoes and cauliflower, w a huge garden tomato salad, and a little gouda cheese shaved over the potatoes. 2 glasses red wine.

Exercise: 30-day shred (although i have a rather sore ankle so I modified the jumping moves)
gardenermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #6  

Hi, gardenermom! Mediterranean dieters are definitely welcome here. I'm also vegetarian, so we may be able to share some ideas - I'm sure some of your meals will be Sonoma-friendly and vice versa. I use lots of meat substitutes - mainly Quorn and tofu, which are a lot more to my taste than TVP. The whole family tends to find them acceptable, which is useful.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #7  

Hello!
Breakfast: Whole wheat cereal and skim milk
Lunch: left over chicken from last night
Supper: will be bean burrito with veggies
snack: banana smoothie---I am going to have one of these every day even though it is forbidden on wave 1--but!! if I don't, I will want ice cream!

I am having trouble with eating late at night when I am reading--any suggestions? I did ok last night but I fear that after a few days on this I will want the chips!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #8  

Hi ping,

That sounds sensible, to modify Wave 1 so that you don't end up eating something a lot more unhealthy than a smoothie. We all know our own minds and bodies best.

For the late-night reading, what I do is brush my teeth, make myself a cup of herb tea, take it to bed and read there. I make sure I don't have snacks in reach of the bed. Brushing my teeth gives me a nice fresh feeling in my mouth that I don't want to spoil; the tea is soothing and keeps my free hand occupied; and once I'm in bed, I'm too lazy to get up to find those snacks ;-) Most of the time, I find it isn't real hunger for me at that time of night anyway - if it was, it wouldn't be so easy to distract myself from it. It's more a desire for comfort after a long day, I think, or the body just being slow to wind down for the night and trying to fuel itself to stay up late (which fits with my tendency to insomnia).

So, this is what yesterday looked like for me:

B: All-Bran with milk (full-fat because we'd run out of low-fat, but I'm going to stop buying full-fat from this week)
L: Salad from the canteen at work with eggs, mushrooms, bell peppers, beans, raddichio and apple
S: Mini goat's cheese babybel and 11 almonds
D: Brown rice, marinaded Quorn sausages, a little feta cheese, stir-fried vegetables (bell peppers, mushrooms, courgettes, spring onions - I think you call those last two summer squash and scallions in the US).

Exercise: 15 mins yoga, 1 hr walking.

Last edited by pilgrim; 07-07-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #9  

THanks Pilgram! I think you are right about the comfort thing!
Breakfast cereal and skim milk
Lunch chicken and veggies
supper not sure yet---something with rice or beans
snack banana smoothie of course!
Tell me more about the yoga--never did it and can you recommend a good book to start?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #10  

Hi Ping,

I learned my yoga at a Sivananda yoga centre here in London. There are quite a few different styles of yoga, but Sivananda suits me because one of the key principles is to incorporate a short rest between poses, which makes it easier on my back (I have a chronic injury). I aim to do 30 mins each morning, but as you can see, I haven't been managing it very well lately as I've been suffering from insomnia and finding it hard to get up to practice after not getting much sleep. The most popular style online seems to be Ashtanga yoga, but that is a bit more full-on and seems to require a bigger time commitment. I find my daily 30 mins is enough to really improve my strength, flexibility and balance. The only aerobic part is the sun salutations you do for warm-up, though, so you also need to do some aerobic exercise on top of that - at the centre I go to, the teachers usually recommend walking. The classes also teach relaxation techniques, which I find useful.

It is really best to learn from a teacher, but still, there are some good Sivananda books out there. The ones I like best are the Sivananda Companion to Yoga and the Sivananda Home Practice Companion. The Home Practice Companion is probably better for beginners, I would think.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/195/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi again and thanks for the welcome!
Pilgrim, Quorn products are pretty expensive over here (perhaps they are in the UK too, I can't remember - i moved over here from London about 10 yrs ago). I've never really got to like tofu (unless its deep-fried in a Thai take-out!).

This is what i ate yesterday,
B: granola and skimmed milk
L: salad bar at work: lettuce, cucumber, olives, peppers, chick peas, corn, sunflower seeds.
S: 1 small slice baguette w sunflower butter
D: homemade spinach quiche w WW/olive oil crust, garden tomato salad, roasted pears, 2 glasses white wine

Exercise: modified 30-day shred (ankle still sore).
gardenermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #12  

Hi Gardenermom,

I can't digest meat or fish, so I have to use vegetarian protein of one kind or another, and there are only so many beans I can eat! I only like certain brands of tofu, but fortunately those aren't too expensive in London, and nor is Quorn - it's cheaper than the meat that I was buying before. I don't want to suggest that anyone else should use it if it doesn't work for them, though, be it for financial or taste reasons.

What I ate yesterday:

B: Weetabix with skimmed milk (not really enough fibre, but I was at a friend's house and had to choose from what they had in their kitchen; lower in sugar than my usual Crunchy Bran or All Bran, though.)
L: Salad from the canteen at work, with eggs, beans, bell peppers, broccoli, sunflower seeds, olives and lettuce.
D: Stirfry with tofu, small amount of strong cheddar for flavour, blueberries, cabbage, bell pepper, spring onions.

Didn't snack because I didn't feel hungry enough to need it.

Exercise: 15 mins yoga, 45 mins walking.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #13  

Wave 1, day 5:

B: All Bran with low-fat milk
L: Sonoma Frittata from the book - this was really nice and went down well with the family, too.
D: Greek Salad from the book - also really good. I am enjoying these recipes!

Exercise: 10 mins walking, 50 mins Wii Fit. Fridays are my working-from-home day, when I often don't fit in much exercise because I'm not out and about, so I was pleased with this.

Ping, gardenermom, 2Bees - how were your days?

Last edited by pilgrim; 07-08-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7.5"

Way to go Pilgrim..! So good/great to see other's come and visit as well..pls. keep coming,and reporting on what's going on. Choices~
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #15  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Got a different outlook today

Hi all...Havn't been around too much this wk. How do you squeez it all in?
I saw a Dr.of Naturopathy today for info.and help w/my thyroid issues. We talked for a hr.regarding losing weight post menopause,and with hypothyroid..just the biggest and most difficult combination I've experienced on the road to losing lbs. Even though I've changed so many of the pitfalls to losing,I'm still supposed to cut even further...example: Zero coffee? ( I have 1 to 1.5 cups per day) To zero wine,even one glass of red. To zero bread,even the whole wheat,whole grain variety. Zero sugar which I get,Zero fake sugar I like that in my ice tea,zero tea,Zero soy..No tofu,zero raw veggies in the cabbage family..ex: cauliflower,broccoli,etc...my mainstays. Of course no sugar,bread,pasta, etc. etc. I'm wondering tonight if it's even worth it. Just take all the pleasures of eating away,forever? Not sure about this path at all. Eating less,and eating only those foods on occasion I'm all for, so maybe I need to not do the 'NEVER',EVER again in my mind. No coffee even one cup tho? even tho I gave up diet coke,that's not enough? guess not. Will come back again for sure,and see how all you are doing as well as report in. Take care..keep on truckin..
choices is offline   Reply With Quote