Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default Sonoma Summer July 2010 Food,recipes Fun facts

I might be the last one standing lol.

Sonoma diet did come out more the 10 years ago I think, what can I say-I'm a slow starter.

my facts
6/30/10 219 Shortterm (however long that takes) 199 Longterm 145lbs. loss so far on Sonoma-12lb.

Sonoma asks you to use a 7inch plate for breakfast (or a 2cup bowl) and a nine inch plate for lunch and dinner(yes that is your salad plate.) Buy some 9inch paper plates for fun.

Whole grains and high fiber. WW English muffins are great.Spelt-haven't found the right recipe yet.And I still have no use for brown rice..although I had brown rice sushi that was better then no sushi at all.

Last edited by 2Bees; 07-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I am not on the Sonoma diet, but it sounds very healthy!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #3  

Yep health benefits come first with the food choices. Weight loss is supposed to follow naturally with the portion control and balance. We shall see if that keeps up. I am tracking everything in Fitday.

My meals today were Fiber One cereal/skim milk Lunch-tortilla(wholewheat) with lettuce laughing cow cheese(cheese not to strict guidelines)and leftover
california roll brown rice sushi. Dinner was turkey,salad and fresh green beans.

My calories were in line and I worked on my paint project and vacuumed the living room so I call it a successful day. Calories at 1380.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133/131/123

Height: 5'1'

Hi 2 bees! I am still here---just very busy with summer and my daughter and her family are staying with us while they remodel their house and she and I are yakking about sonoma and trying to make healthy meals using the sonoma guidelines. Very hot today--just ate some meat, bread, little dairy and two glasses of wine---weight is steady--good night!
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #5  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

Im still here too!

Ive just had health problems that stops me from being on the diet.

Weight is steady as well around 197 to 199 on some days but overall its fine.
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #6  

Hi guys! Glad you are around. I know how life gets in the way of life sometimes.

I'm sticking pretty close to plan most of the time except I have caught myself-drifting a bit. THe lunch and dinner are supposed to be divided into 4quadrants on the 9inch plate protein,veg,grain,fruit. Well I've been saving my fruit for later .That would be ok but I'm still filling my plate up =so my portions must be a little too big.

fun fact One of the Sonoma power foods is bell peppers which is my favorite snack. I eat hummus and bell pepper for an afternoon snack of about 110 calories-much better then those snack pac cookies.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133/131/123

Height: 5'1'

I have had a good week diet wise! Been walking 40' day--I am not trying to lose right now--just maintain and will get serious again when my daughter's family moves back into their house.
cereal/skim milk
burrito with beans and veggies
not sure yet!! it's hot here!!!!
Sometimes I eat frozen blueberries for supper

p.s. Can I have your hummus recipe?

Last edited by ping; 07-08-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: forgot to ask for recipe!!
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #8  

OOps I've been caught out.. I didn't make my hummus. I go to Wegman's and head for the olive bar. They usually have 4 or 5 flavors of hummus and things like tzaki(sp) and spinach dip . I will have to ask what kind of oil (hopefully olive oil) that they use. I believe they make it in store.

I have bought lots of spices-since I didn't have hardly any pre Sonoma,not even real garlic. But I haven't followed a recipe completely yet. I even found some black bean soup that I used for a sub for her black bean chili spread.

Fun fact: not just for Sonoma. Canadian bacon has only 20 calories per round. Perfect choice for almost any diet.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #9  

Yay, the Sonoma Thread lives!

I have a hard time finding Canadian bacon in grocery stores. Is it usually sliced in a package, like pepperoni?

I haven't been watching my diet for the past few months, either. I bought a house that needed to be fixed up, and it was a mad rush to get everything done quickly so I could move in. I had an increase in activity, but I made some horrible food choices in the name of convenience. I am all moved in now, and I am making better food choices. I also now have 6/10 of an acre of a badly neglected yard, so that will be my exercise program: mowing, chopping wood, raking, etc. Now, if I could just remember what box I packed the Sonoma Diet book in ...!

I've made hummus a few times before! I love making it. It's usually just a food processor with chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice, and spices ... try cumin, garlic, and nutmeg, or whatever you prefer. Roasted red peppers, onions, sun-dried tomatoes. It's a really flexible recipe.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #10  

Hi HY! Sounds like you have been very busy with your new place. Congrats and hope you enjoy making it your own. I took out a arborvitae hedge this spring (ruined in the snow ) Made the yard so much bigger and gives me more sun.

Someone on another website has a tagline in her signature that always makes me laugh:
"If I had some ham I could have ham and eggs. If I had some eggs "

Thats exactly how I am with recipes. Not quite all there. I have bought marinara sauce, hummus,black bean soup,tzaki,fresh salsa etc so Im not a purist Sonoma follower. Oh and yes the canadian bacon I got is sliced into those rounds like on a Mcmuffin. They were with the sausages and bacon, probably a display you avoid looking into.

Ping good on you for walking. Having a houseful of people is a real routine changer.Good for coping.
Zofia I wish you well. Keep focused on food thats good for your body.

fun fact 2tablespoons of peanut butter has as many calories as 10 slices of canadian bacon or 8 scallops or 8oz of tilapia. And more fat then all three.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #11  

I am not a purist, either. Maybe on my best days, and maybe I can strive for an ideal, but it has to work for me. I love learning how to make all these things from scratch and experimenting with them, but I don't always have the time. The way my life is now, I'm going to have to cook what I can and learn to choose healthy convenience foods.

Today, I had a gyro sandwich with tabouli for lunch. Breakfast was a pile of fruit. Dinner - leftover pizza. OK, not great, but it allowed me to get outside faster and begin yard work.

I did a bunch of weeding, and I raked up some mowed grass. Normally, I let the grass stay on the soil for mulch, but it had gotten too long and was just sitting on top and clumping up. I am composting it in a pretty big bin, and I have WAY more grass mulch than I have room in the compost bin. And I won't even start talking about the thistle!

Tomorrow for breakfast, I will have a bagel with low-fat cream cheese, maybe some fruit. Lunch will be a turkey burger and salad. Unsure on dinner yet, maybe a bean/rice dish. I will be more Sonoma-y in the near future.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #12  

7/16/10 217lb

I'm glad to claim another pound off but I won't keep it up unless I change my ways. Went out for lunch with my sister at On the Boarder. Had Sangria(not the wine Sonoma is allowing) and Carnita fajitas. Only took one tortilla and skipped the chips. My sister and I shared a platter and we still had leftovers so I didn't get the whole 1200 calories that are in a "serving"

Today 1 softboiled egg and 1/2 muffin. Lunch will be a ww wrap with leftovers. Dinner Chicken, salad,blueberries,and quinoa.

fun fact It's hard to "fall off" Sonoma With Atkins if you overdid a meal it was a big big setback. With Weight Watchers it triggered a binge of forbidden food til you came to another starting point. Right now I don't need more "Bad" foods, I can even eat a correct portion of the food for lunch and still move on.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #13  

Default Hit the produce aisle

Finally got to the grocery store and replenished my "green stuff"
bought 6 bell peppers red, yellow and green,carrots,cabbage,celery,broccoli,mushrooms,to matoes, strawberries,blueberries and grapes.

Made pulled pork for dinner with coleslaw,berries and quinoa.
Last night was some of the same pork tenderloin,quinoa and salad/tomato

I bought two packs of fish, haddock and flounder. Don't know how the haddock will be. also bought some jalapeno peppers. Now I have to look up how they were used in the recipes in the Sonoma book.

fun fact Fresh berries in season are the best dessert ever!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #14  

Default 7/22 claiming another loss

I have been at 215 for a couple of weight ins so I'm claiming another 2lb loss for July early. Must be strict over the next 9 days to get to 214.

I made a pasta and shrimp plate last night. Added spinach and mushrooms and a little hot pepper. Used olive oil at the very end to moisten. Used a cup of dry noodles and it cooked up enough to have leftovers at lunch today. Had a whole wheat pita with it though-too much grain but I only had strawberries for an afternoon snack-no bread or hummus.

Supper will be chicken, broccoli,cucumber in vinegar and cantaloupe. Probably some more strawberries too.

I broke my newly developed soda habit by not putting any sodas in the fridge. I have a Brita pitcher of cold water that I grab instead. I still haven't taken up drinking wine at home, although I've switched to ordering wine instead of a beer when I've gone out..

fun fact
The data in the chart below were taken from the USDA website: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
removed the chart it didn't transfer well. Actually shows wine, beer and liquor have around the same amount of calories. All empty calories and they can really add up or just be the extra 100 that keep you from losing the weight.

Last edited by 2Bees; 07-22-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: chart scrambled
Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #15  

Default I'm hungry and cranky

Don't know whats up with me. I'm hungry,yet I can't find anything that I want to eat. Don't want to snack more and add up a huge amount of calories.

Ive had 1/2 an avocado today which isn't awful but usually puts my daily calories over. I had a ww english muffin at breakfast, Leftover fajita peppers & steak at lunch and a bowl of blueberries and a laughing cow cheese wedge just
now. I think I'll make myself a cup of tea and try to ignore things til 6:30 and make dinner. I am planning fish,coleslaw,brocolli I need a whole grain and a fruit to round it out. May call my avocado my daily fruit and sub a tomato for the evening fruit. Sigh don't want to lose the momentum I'm only losing a lb every 10 days or so. Long long way to get to onederland.