Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Here's my menu for today.

B: smoothie made with greek yogurt, banana, frozen mixed berries, whey protein, SF davinci syrup, sugar free latte
L: shrimp and pine nut spaghetti, apple
D: pork tenderloin with sweet & salty glaze (this is an asian recipe), millet & quinoa with sunflower seeds, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. No wine tonight.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #17  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

Here's my menu for tonight (night shift again)

Early evening - a sort of curry - a red pepper, a chili, ginger, an onion and peas cooked in chopped tomatoes with cumin, tumeric, coriander, chili, and curry (i have a cold! hoping all the spices might help to blast it) and brown rice.
Later evening - Same
Early morning - Bowl oatmeal with sultanas and sunflower seeds
Snacks - handful almonds
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #18  

Hey Sarah. Looks like things have settled down for you again. I guess sometimes I'm glad my life isn't so exciting. I do have to ask how you came up with a goal weight of 154 lbs? It seems such a random number.

B: 2 eggs scrambled with canadian bacon, green onions, a little shredded cheddar in half a pita, sugar free latte
L: Barley and black bean salad, 2 clementines
D: Pork tenderloin with sweet and salty glaze, millet and quinoa with sunflower seeds, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with a little butter, glass of white zinfindel and dessert! Half of a roasted apple with yogurt, walnuts and dried cherries. This is yummy and only has 100 calories and completely compliant with my diet.

Can you believe it, I can have dessert once in a while. I'm planning one for Thanksgiving too-pears poached in red wine. I think having dessert once in a while will help me stick to this long term-I will feel less deprived.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #19  
Sarah

Hey Mary, it is a random number. I guess I didnt give it as much thought as I should have but at the time I was thinking it would be a great achievement to at least lose 30lbs. If I manage to go lower than that then I certainly wont be complaining, its not like I want to get to that weight and just plateau! But we'll see.. its 28 lbs to lose now.. if I could steadily lose 2 a week then it does seem quite attainable. Just have to try to keep on track and be realistic with myself. Work, especially night shifts, is good, because I'm stuck here in the office for long hours so I make time to prepare my food and its easy to stay on track. My days off are my downfall so thats what I need to keep an eye on. I'm hoping that next week will mostly be a good effort, allowing for Tuesday night where I'm going out for the bf's birthday. Will just be a meal and a few glasses of wine so nothing too crazy..

I like the sound of that dessert... Did you just halve an apple and bake it in the oven for a certain amount of time? I'd like to try that one. Bet it would be good with coconut milk too.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #20  

B: coco wheats with milk and sugar, coffee with milk
L: chickpea-kale curry with rice, 3 small-but-rich cookies
D: (walked around an art event all day, so it was a bunch of crackers, vegetables, dips, fruit, cheese, etc.)
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #21  

Sarah-are you vegan?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #22  
Sarah

Hey Mary, no not vegan, I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish. I try to steer away from eggs and dairy but I don't rule them out in small amounts.

Did the vegan thing before but I had to give it a rest because living in Malta with limited grocery shopping compared to Dublin, it was far too limiting and I was relying on a lot of processed stuff which became unhealthy. This lead me to whole foods, which then lead me to the Mediterranean diet, as it's quite easy to follow since I'm living in the Mediterranean. Also it's realistic and healthy and something that can be followed for life.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #23  

Okay, here's the roasted apple recipe. This is a Sonoma Diet recipe.

3/4 cup plain low fat yogurt
Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp kosher salt
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and halved
2 tbsp chopped halzlenuts, toasted
1 tbsp snipped dried cherries

1 Make yogurt cheese if your into that. I just used greek yogurt straight out of the container and that worked fine

2. Preheat oven to 350 Lightly coat a small baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a small bowl combine lemon juice, honey, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Brush lemon juice mixture on apple halves. Place apple halves, cut side down, on prepared sheet.

3. Bake about 30 minutes or until the apple halves are lightly browned and tender. Transfer apple halves to a cutting board. Thinly slice each half. Divide among 4 serving plates, serve with yogurt, sprinkle with nuts and dried cherries.

I only did one apple cause I live alone and that worked fine. I put the extra half in the fridge and will reheat it in the microwave probably tonight. I also had to bake it for less time or it would have been mush. I used walnuts instead of hazlenuts because I had them on hand. Very tasty. And definately filled that "sweet treat" spot.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #24  
Sarah

Thanks Mary, I'm gona try that one over the next couple of days, I've a real sweet tooth so its great to have some nice recipes that are healthy. I'm keen on this Sonoma book. Is it good? I wonder if there's a vegetarian one..

Here's my menu for tonight -
Early evening - Bowl lentils made with tomato and spices
Later evening - Same
Early morning - Bowl oatmeal with apple and sunflower seeds
Snacks - Some almonds
Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #25  

The Sonoma books would probably not be a good buy for you for recipes. They certainly have vegetarian and fish recipes but that isn't the bulk of them. The Sonoma Diet book is very well written in terms of the nutrition part as well as giving a structure if you need that-how many servings of fruit, grain, how much starchy vegetable vs nonstarchy vegetable to eat.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #26  

Petra, those roasted apples sound sooo yummy! Thanks for sharing.

B: coco wheats with milk and sugar, tea
L: chickpea-kale curry and rice
S: corn tortilla with refries, fresh salsa, taco sauce, mozz cheese
D: colcannon (potatoes, kale, cabbage, garlic, onion, olive oil) and some shiraz

Last edited by Hyacinth; 11-08-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #27  

I live on the Gulf Coast and we are under a Hurricane Watch. Not sure what's gonna happen over the next couple of days so if I disappear for a little bit, don't worry, I'll be back when it passes. Here's my menu for today.

B: Shredded wheat n bran, banana, low fat milk, sugar free latte
L: Barley and black bean salad
S: indian spiced nuts
D: summer squash and bok choy gratin, mixed grains with cashews, glass of chardonnay. Will have that left over apple half tonight. Yumm.

Also went to yoga class today and got some unwanted exercise getting ready for a possible hurricane/tropical storm.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #28  
Sarah

OK Mary, take care!