Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #1  

Default Questions about Sonoma/Mediterranean diet plans

I've been told by my physician that I am insulin resistant, and she has recommended that I follow a Mediterranean-type diet. To that end, she had me meet with the dietitian and the plan she has given me seems to follow the Sonoma diet pretty closely, without the Wave I restrictions.

This seems to be a good plan for me, as I have already eliminated a lot of refined sugars from my diet. My biggest challenge will be the switch to whole grains and the elimination of potatoes, which are my two biggest food cravings. I also love a glass of wine in the evening, and my doctor had already suggested that I switch from white to red. This also seems to be right in line with the Sonoma Diet.

I'd love to hear from others who are finding the Sonoma/Mediterranean plans effective. I'm curious as to what you like/dislike about them, as well as how it compares to your previous weight loss efforts using other methods.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I am a calorie counter. My plan incorporates the basics of the S/M diet, though I have incorporated some aspects of other ways of eating as well.

I have found that it works well for me. It is definitely a plan that one can stick to, and it is effective
It is flexible enough that it can indeed be a WOE (way of eating) that becomes a lifestyle change.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #3  

Thanks for your reply, CountingDown.

I lost weight many years ago (my first diet, actually) by strictly counting calories. I was a freshman in college and when I look back on it I am still amazed at my self-control. I had to eat in the commons so it was very hard to really know how many calories were in the food, but apparently I was fairly accurate, as the pounds did come off. My friends used to be amazed that I would break an ice-cream sandwich bar in half and eat only that half, either throwing the other half away or, more often than not, giving it to someone else at the table!

Unfortunately at that point in my life I didn't understand the idea of lifestyle change, so eventually the weight went back on. But it was a very effective method for me, and probably my only real option as I had very little control of my food choices. And it did teach me some valuable lessons about setting a goal and reaching it.

BTW, I've looked at your pictures and read your story - both are very inspiring! Thank you for taking the time to help others; it would be so easy to just slip away. You're a good role model for others who are still on their journey.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote