3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sonoma Diet and the Mediterranean Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sonoma-diet-mediterranean-diet-188/)
-   -   So Where do I start? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sonoma-diet-mediterranean-diet/177281-so-where-do-i-start.html)

KimZ 07-22-2009 11:56 AM

So Where do I start?

So I really want to to do Sonoma/Med way of eating because A- I LOVE BREAD and B- I LOVE VEGGIES and Fruits. So I am looking for some wisdom if anyone is here anymore. I love would for this board to be active and for me to call it HOME!

KimZ 07-22-2009 06:45 PM

So since I didn't get any replies I figured I would do a little websearch and answer it myself:

Here is a list of some good Sonoma Wave 1 picks:

Processed Sugar - Out.

Sugar Substitutes - Only allowed 1 packet per day total - so just avoid it and save yourself the trouble.

Meat - Lean is nice.

Veggies - Load up on them. Fresh veggies are good for you and taste great too. Use onions, peppers, and other such veggies as flavor enhancers. Potatoes excluded.

Fruit - Out during Wave 1 (It's only 10 days...you can do it).

Cereal - Only high fiber. It should be 8 grams of fiber per serving or more. Remember to avoid the sugar cereals and fruit (tough to find cereals that work).

Oatmeal - Get the non sugar added kind. Instant is always a good pick so you can take it with you to work.

Cheeze - Lowfat Mozzarella string cheese is ok for a snack. The other kinds are high in calories, so I would avoid them.

Milk: Skim

Drinks: Soda = bad, fruit juices = out, water = Great, but avoid it if there fake sugar added to it, sport drinks = no way.

Bread: Whole grain. You will start to like this type of bread better after a few days anyways.

Pasta: good whole grain pastas. Try Barilla.

KimZ 07-22-2009 07:06 PM

"Sonoma Diet Power Foods"

Almonds
Bell peppers
Blueberries
Broccoli
Grapes
Olive oil
Spinach
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Whole grains
And yes, those grapes can be fermented - like most other Mediterranean diets - wine is on the menu with Sonoma

KimZ 07-22-2009 07:07 PM

Phases

The diet is structured into 3 waves (phases). The first wave lasts for just 10 days and is more restrictive. The second wave is the main weight loss phase, and number 3 is the lifelong maintenance phase. It's all about appropriate portioning rather than measuring amounts or calories. The 'plate-and-bowl' concept means using a 7-inch plate for breakfast, and a 9-inch plate for lunch and dinner. Each wave of the diet instructs you how to fill the plates!

4Tee2nfit 07-23-2009 12:58 AM

Thank you for this information Kim I have been interested in this way of eating too. I am new here and am just searching the forums

KimZ 07-23-2009 09:13 AM

Then we can learn Together :-) I plan on Posting a Weekly thread like the other forums which will contain my menu's etc. WELCOME

Zofia 07-23-2009 09:33 AM

I suggest buying the actual book. Not only you have meal plans for wave 1 but you have an explanation on everything. Why cut process food, why cut white sugar, why cut rafine and bleach flour etc.

To me it makes so much more sense why I should choose green pepper over avocadoe for a snack.

I dont liek diet telling me : dont eat this its bad for you.
WHY? why should I have honey over white sugar? even over splenda?>???

The book will explain everything you need ot know.

I also bought the cookbook. Seriously ive never seen so many recipes I actually enjoy O_O

WONDERFUL!

That thread idea once a week with what you eat is such a good idea! Ill check it out for ideas of what to eat ^^

LindaT 07-23-2009 10:16 AM

Also, look at the top part of this forum. Lots of recipes there for the MED/Sonoma plan.

KimZ 07-23-2009 10:52 AM

I know Ms. Linda I followed your link to your recipes :-)

sewwrite 07-23-2009 11:42 AM

Hi KimZ and 4Tee2nfit!

I'm glad this board is starting to pick up a little.

I agree with Zofia, read the actual book. I checked the Sonoma Diet Book and Recipe book out from my local library. I liked the recipe book so much until I went out and bought my own copy to keep.

I was about to go back on Weight Watchers for the 100th time in a year, but I think I'm bored with it which is why I keep stopping and restarting. I'm just concerned about taking in too many carbs on this plan (Sonoma) because I have PCOS.

Zofia 07-23-2009 11:57 AM

Im shocked on the lack of interest for this diet. it is such a good one!!

KimZ lets make this forum active and HOME :)

Im dedicated. I want the whole worl to know aboutthis awesome diet. Cause at the end of the day, its so not a diet... its common sense.

<3

Oh and I dont know much about PCOS
carbs are problematic? you cant have some? cause on sonoa you dont have that many.. just the right amount. I mean in one day I have 2 portion of it (liek small maybe 400 max in calories)

sewwrite 07-23-2009 04:08 PM

Zofia, yes too many carbs can be a problem. Weight loss can be difficult if you have PCOS. Many people with PCOS have lost weight by doing lower carb or good carb (South Beach) type plans--sort of like diabetic type plans because of the insulin resistance.

I think I might be able to modify it and add more veggies or something. I'm going to finish reading the book tonight. I really want to try it because it's a healthy way of eating (whole foods) and right now I'm addicted to eating foods with sugar and sugar and more sugar in it:dizzy:. I need a change.

Hyacinth 07-23-2009 09:51 PM

I tend to choose breads that have 2 grams of fiber per 15 grams of carb. And 15 grams of carb is one serving.

I never eat instant oatmeal, just whole rolled oats, cooked.

I have not read any of the Sonoma or Med Diet books! Just learned things online.

Zofia 07-24-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewwrite (Post 2840516)

I think I might be able to modify it and add more veggies or something. I'm going to finish reading the book tonight. I really want to try it because it's a healthy way of eating (whole foods) and right now I'm addicted to eating foods with sugar and sugar and more sugar in it:dizzy:. I need a change.

You know as long as it makes sense to you and you dont get sick, im sure you can cut some of the whole grain (you still need them, do not cut them all <3) and eat more green veggies. I wonder if all grains would have the same effect. Have you made some research. There is so many different types of carbs, maybe some of them are not as bad?

For your sugar dont even worry about it. I used to be this HUGE sugar bug. I did sonoma last year for 10 days only cause it was for a trip and I didnt want the whole diet like right now but guess what, 2 thing stayed with me all year and allowed me to not gain that 10 pounds again:

- More veggies, I got so used ot it
- I do not crave sugar ever anymore. I used to have it a couple times a week, little portion and thats it! No more im dying for ice cream feeling

So now that I decided to do the whole thing to loose all the pounds I want to loose, I have a headstart knowing that IT WORKS.

:)

Me Too 08-21-2009 08:47 AM

are the 10 power foods for wave 1 as well?
I just started reading the book and haven't gotten that far yet.