Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #16  

It's all about marketing -- if you have a multi-million dollar ad campaign a la Jenny Craig then you're a household name, if you don't, you're not.

But, I don't think the more famous is necessarily better.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/219/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, this thread is rather old, but I wanted to post anyway. I stumbled on the diet by accident and got really excited, because it sounded like what I had been gradually trying to do anyway, nothing gimmicky, just good food in reasonable portions.

I was reading reviews of the book on Amazon, and most people loved the food and there were some encouraging results from those who tried it. There were also a number of comments on how hard it was, there was too much cooking, it was too expensive, and the one that boggled my mind- the foods selection was too restrictive!!!! HUH?

I haven't found many people who have heard of this diet. I guess it didn't make a big splash, but that was probably the reason I found the book for $1! And I am excited that I did. I have actually been able to stick with this and don't see why I should not continue. It doesn't feel like a diet and the food is fabulous!

Heather in SC
heatherinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/219/150

Height: 5'6"

Oh, also, on the cooking. The recipes seem kind of intimidating with the long ingredient lists, but I have noticed most of those are the spices and herbs, and putting it all together has not taken all that long.

Plus, it is making me actually care about cooking again. Before, I would make meals that I didn't care about eating and no one really ate except my husband and teenaged son. I actually think this food is WORTH the trouble of making since it tastes so good.

Heather in SC
heatherinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I definitely follow a Mediterrasian / wholefoods approach, but quite customize to me . So I couldn't say I do Sonoma. I do think the cooking and fresh produce shopping is intimidating to many people, but I just feel it is so worth it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #20  

I think it's quite a few things: American lifestyle, marketing, and the fact that it requires a lot of foods that aren't marketed by the big food corporations.

It seems difficult for Americans to slow down enough to cook sit-down meals several nights a week. We're accustomed to pre-packaged convenience foods, and these diets encourage whole foods. Have you ever noticed that it's not the tomatoes and carrots that have the "heart-healthy" label claims on them? Foods marketed as "healthy" are often anything but.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #21  

I do believe it is like some have said not as clear cut on the lists as well as if you don't like to cook it takes time. I have bought the Spa Lean Cuisines for those days I don't feel like the cooking as it says in the book you can do, so hopefully that will help. We'll see )
dorothygailflyer is offline   Reply With Quote