3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Snacks - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/snacks-phase-1-132/)
-   -   Ideas to make plain yogurt taste better (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/snacks-phase-1/174744-ideas-make-plain-yogurt-taste-better.html)

jlh88 06-20-2009 01:27 PM

Ideas to make plain yogurt taste better

I can't get used to fat free plain yogurt. Any ideas on how to make it taste better? I tried searching the threads for recipes but had no luck. :dizzy:

Scorpio1986 06-20-2009 01:31 PM

Honey!!!!

Lexxiss 06-20-2009 01:34 PM

Hi:sunny:

Of course, honey doesn't work for P1. I used the yogurt jello recipe and it suited me fine. Maybe someone else will come up with an idea.

suefrommars 06-20-2009 02:00 PM

I love the Fage Greek yogurt - I mix in a fruit and an ounce of shredded wheat or all bran.

It is my favorite breakfast!

Alana in Canada 06-20-2009 02:08 PM

Add frozen fruit and whip it up in a blender. Use an artificial sweetner is you can/want to.

I like cutting up an apple and sprinkling cinnamon over the top.

Cinnamon and banana is really nice too (and the banana is sweeter).

Oh--sorry, I just realised this is South Beach. I have no idea what would be allowed and what isn't. Anyway. Hope this helps.

jlh88 06-20-2009 02:15 PM

Hehe I failed to mention that I'm on Phase 1.

Chelby29 06-20-2009 02:17 PM

Mix in SF maple syrup.

chris313 06-20-2009 02:26 PM

I love Fage Greek yogurt with Equal and different flavored extracts, particularly almond and vanilla. :dizzy:

Ruthxxx 06-20-2009 02:35 PM

I sometimes mix in some Crystal Lite powder. For hot days I make cacik, a chilled dip or soup.
You can also drain it through a coffee filter in the fridge overnight and blend in onions and herbs to make a "cream cheese" spread.

jlh88 06-20-2009 02:54 PM

good ideas! I didn't even think about the SF Maple Syrup! Crystal light and the extracts are perfect too!

Thanks guys!

CyndiM 06-20-2009 02:59 PM

soften a spoonful of PB (I prefer crunchy) and mix some cocoa powder with that. Add the mess to the yogurt with the allowed sweetener of your choice. I'm in P2 and use agave. Any allowable liquid sweetener will work. I always feel completely decadent when I eat this. It's like a rich, thick pudding. :drool:

blondiebear 06-21-2009 01:39 PM

equal parts coco powder and splenda make sort of a chocolate pudding. it's pretty good.

jlh88 06-22-2009 02:47 AM

Should I be looking at specific ingredients that I DON'T want in my plain yogurt? Some of the ingredients in some yogurt is stuff that I have no clue about.

Also, it looks like fat free cream cheese has sugar in its ingredients. Is it not ideal to buy fat free cream cheese?

Schmoodle 07-01-2009 06:26 PM

Check the ingredients on your cc. If there is added sugar, then it's not okay. But I have never seen sugar added to ff cc, unless it's flavored (strawberry,etc.). If you see sugar grams in the nutrition information, but not in the ingredients, then that is the lactose, or natural sugars from the milk, and that's perfectly fine.

Your plain yogurt should only have milk and live cultures as ingredients. Once you are off of Ph1, (fruit and artificial sweeteners) are okay too. What you need to check is if they have added thickeners - corn starch or other. We should not have those.

JulieJ08 07-01-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmoodle (Post 2809050)
Check the ingredients on your cc. If there is added sugar, then it's not okay. But I have never seen sugar added to ff cc, unless it's flavored (strawberry,etc.). If you see sugar grams in the nutrition information, but not in the ingredients, then that is the lactose, or natural sugars from the milk, and that's perfectly fine.

Your plain yogurt should only have milk and live cultures as ingredients. Once you are off of Ph1, (fruit and artificial sweeteners) are okay too. What you need to check is if they have added thickeners - corn starch or other. We should not have those.

Hehe, I know of one exception, and it is so weird to me. Trader Joe's has a "Plain Nonfat Frozen Yogurt." I thought, hmm, what an interesting idea. You guessed it, there is added sugar in this plain yogurt! Craziness.