Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Moroccan Spices

• This recipe is complements of our member, Mary83. She posted it in another thread and I moved it here so we could all enjoy it!

-Beachgal

Quote:
    Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Moroccan Spices
    (Inspired by a recipe from The South Beach Diet Cookbook and the Moroccan Spice Mix from Fine Cooking Magazine.)

1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
    1 T olive oil
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Moroccan Spice Mix
    salt to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp. kosher salt)

Spice Mix:
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. ground coriander
    1/2 tsp. chile powder (I used Ancho chile powder from Penzeys)
    1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground allspice
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    (recipe called for a pinch ground cloves, which I did not have.)

Preheat oven to 350 F. (I was making this in my favorite Oster Toaster Oven, If you're using a regular oven, I'd double the recipe and use a large cookie sheet.)

Drain garbanzo beans into a colander and rinse well with cold water until no more foam appears. Let beans drain for 5-10 minutes, then pat dry with a cloth of paper towel if they still look wet.

While beans drain, make spice mix. (This is great on many veggies, so make the full amount and store in a glass jar.)

When beans are well drained and dried, toss with olive oil, spice mix, and salt. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Roast 40-50 minutes, or until they are slightly browned and make a rattling sound when you shake the baking sheet. (I roasted these for 50 minutes, but next time I would take them out a tiny bit sooner.) Serve warm or let cool.
  • ym
    Wow- this should satisfy that craving for crunchy I have. Thanks