Maintainer Introductions our stories and photos

Old 12-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #1  
Lawshark

Smile New to Forum

Hi. I just registered today. I have lost about 36 pounds since July 2004 and have 6 more pounds to go to get to my goal. So now I am anticipating the maintenance stage. This forum has been very helpful in letting me know what to expect. I'm sure I'll visit it quite often in the year (years) ahead.

To introduce myself, I'm 48 years old, 5'4" and currently weight 117 pounds. My goal is to get to 111 pounds, although I'm thinking of revising that to 115, and then staying there. Glad to meet you all and look forward to many happy visits in the future.

Last edited by lawshark; 12-07-2004 at 06:53 PM.
lawshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #2  
Mel

Welcome, Elaine Glad to meet you
Wow, this forum is really hopping these days! It's great to see so many new and old maintainers and "maintainers in training" joining us. Just jump right in on any of the threads.

Care to tell us a little more about yourself and/or your weightloss journey? We're probably the most diverse group at 3FC: we've got bodybuilders, calorie counters, runners, extreme runners, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craigers, South Beachers, non-dieters...you name it, we're here.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Elaine

Welcome !! Like Mel said we're a diverse bunch of gals ... I like to lift weights and my cardio of preference these days is running ...

Very nice to meet you and feel free to join us on the weekly thread...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #4  
Meg

Welcome, Lawshark! I'm more of a Law Minnow myself. (Penn Law, 1979) Congratulations on your weight loss and we're glad you joined us here.

You're right, Mel, the place is really jumping and I LOVE it! Kinda a big NYAH NYAH to all the people who say you can't lose weight and keep it off. We're going to re-write the statisitcs on weight maintenance right here, all of us together.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 AM   #5  
Lawshark

Thanks everybody. As a little background, here's my story.

I married at the ripe old age of 16. Had my first child at 24 and my second at 28. 32 years later, I'm still married to the same man and love him more now than ever before. We have two beautiful daughters, a cat named Buster and a chihuahua named Godzilla. We live in Temecula, Ca. I work as a lawyer for a public pension fund - which sounds pretty boring but actually isn't. I've been blessed to have a wonderful life.

I was "skinny" all my life until I hit 40. In my 20's, I weighed 86 lbs and my nickname was Olive Oil. Even after the birth of my second child, I quickly went back down to my standard size 5. But at 40 something happened and the weight just started to pile on until before I knew it was was up to 153 lbs. Now that doesn't sound like much, but on my petite 5'4" frame, it was a lot to me. Plus, I was feeling the physical effects of the added weight. I couldn't walk a block or go up one flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. I couldn't bend over to tie my shoe but had to sit and pull my foot up into my lap. I could feel the "spare tire" around my middle every time I bent over. My clothes were so tight they hurt around the waist and thighs. I felt awful physically and emotionally. I wouldn't appear in public in swimsuits (even one piece) or shorts because I was ashamed of how I looked. I wouldn't go shopping for new clothes (even though the ones I had were too tight) because it was so depressing and discouraging. The weight thing was beginning to affect my whole life.

I tried all kinds of diets on my own but wound up gaining more than I lost. When I outgrew my size 12's, I knew that I had to do something or I was facing obesity in my old age. So I joined Jenny Craig. It's been 5 months now and I'm almost to my goal. I not only got my waistline back, but I'm now wearing a size 4 and those are getting too big. For the first time ever in my life, I'm doing regular exercise and I feel great. I now own 5 bikinis- and I wear them in public. I am so excited about the new me and I want to make sure I stay that way. If I have any say over it, I will never, never, never go back to that weight. Which is why I'm here. I know that I need the support from a group of people who are going through the same thing I am to help me forge ahead. I am so thankful that you are all here.

Last edited by lawshark; 12-08-2004 at 11:29 AM.
lawshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #6  

*waves to lawshark and winks*
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote