Old 01-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #1  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Arrow The Worldly Chicks Make It To Another Year - Happy 2021

Happy New Year Ladies - we have made it through to the other side thank goodness.

Was a year of challenges and like the year itself we were a bit more quiet on the thread but all in all, still together after all these years.

If you want to click back to the old thread - Here you go, just click me

Copying Shad's first post of the New Year just so you don't have to click back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad View Post
So far so good, but it is early days yet.
Hate to say this Happy, but I don't think the human being has learned anything from this pandemic. I doubt very much that things will change much at least in the first half of this year. I can see outbreaks of the virus coming again because no one will take responsibility for shutting down the world for a period of time. We will not be able to travel much this year, maybe a bit in the last quarter. The emphasis seems to be on the money side of things and not the people. Get the people right and then you will get the money right. Get the attitudes right and we may save some of our beloved wildlife from extinction. Get the politicians to govern fairly and we will see life improve.

Sorry for the rant
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Ok, so all the maintenance is done. Old thread closed, new thread set up. Now I can relax with my coffee.

I looked back at last year's New Year's post and I see I set the tone for a disasterous year so I'm very sorry about that. DH was sick, convinced himself it was something fatal and went to bed early. I rang in the New Year by myself and then in the morning as I shook the creamer for my coffee, the cap flew off and sticky creamer all over me and the kitchen. So this year I decided not to do a repeat. DH had picked up some lobster tails for dinner and much to my surprise said he was willing to make the dinner. I told him he had to make a COMPLETE dinner with side dishes - like I always do. He said, whut a baked potato and lobstah tail are good enough for me. He had enough trouble with 2 things so I made a bag of frozen peas because I just wasn't in the mood for a salad. Dinner came out great even with a few flubs on both of our parts. Afterwards he cleaned up all the dishes, washed out the microwave AND the stove. Wow. I felt like I should help him but then I said nah, I do all the planning, prepping, cooking and cleaning up by myself so just sit there in the chair and pretend you are the man for a change In actuality he does always ask if he can help with anything, it's just that our kitchen is small and he is SO SLOW when it comes to preparing anything that it's just easier for me to do it unless I hand off a specific task to him. He was in charge of cooking the shrimp on Christmas Day while I made a salad and finished the side dishes. So we had a nice dinner and he went to binge watch some new series and I called my Mom and chatted for 90 minutes. Nothing of any interest on TV. The traditional New York City ball drop in Times Square was very lame this year. Mostly because the hosts on 2 different channels did not seem to have much enthusiasm for their duties and in one case, I think the host actually intensely disliked his new partner. I have gotten so old that I don't recognize the musical groups anymore except there was one group Pentatonix that did beautiful vocal harmonies on the song they chose to sing. And then there was Jennifer "Over the Top, Overrated as Usual" which I fast forwarded through. Perhaps this should have been a New Year's to ring in with quiet reflection and gratitude.

I woke up this morning all achey. Last night after dinner I had an Amaretto and Lemonade. Nothing to get buzzed but I think perhaps it was too sugary and that just sent the inflammation into overdrive. Time again for more prepared clean eating. Also with cutting back on volunteer things this past year, I have been doing perhaps too much sitting. We stopped going to the gym when they had issues with the pool and I need to get back again - my knee is locking up and I need to restart the rehab exercises. I think that is always going to be a problem going forward so just accept it and deal with it.

We were supposed to spend today with another couple we are close to but after discussing it with DH we decided to cancel. They are careful with the Covid but have been seeing a lot of people over the last 2 weeks. We decided with the new variant of the virus and all the pleas on tv to just stay home, we will heed their advise. It's awkward but as DH and I both agreed, it's too late once you catch it and get sick to say "oh in hindsight I probably shouldn't..." My friend was sad when we cancelled but called me the next day and said she wishes she had my courage to just stick to the guns and say no. It is what it is. Like it or not we will have to get through at least the winter behaving ourselves. It's sad that there are 2 camps - those trying to do the right thing and those who just naysay the whole deal and make it worse all around. Like you said Shad, we have the same problems on this side of the pond. There are those crying about businesses lost and shutting down - particularly in a small resort town like mine where they depend on the snowmobilers and ice fishermen to tide them through the lean winter. But you won't have customers if they are dead either. We are trying to help out as much as we can when we can. I do miss going out to dinner also - doesn't take long before I get tired of cooking and cleaning every day!

DH's niece messaged me yesterday to say hello. DH is estranged from most of his family. Turns out his youngest brother is in the hospital. He caught Covid right before Thanksgiving and is having all sorts of complications including blood clots in the lungs and has been randomly passing out. He is in the hospital on oxygen but not intubated yet. He asked the doctor if he could go home and the doctor didn't give him an answer. Most of DH's family is on the east coast but this brother lives a 3 hour drive from us. I asked DH if he would go to see him if he got out of the hospital or needed assistance getting home and DH said he didn't know, he'd have to think about it. Not that he can visit him in the hospital anyway. But it sounds as if M is going to be one of those Covid "long haulers" who has long term complications. This is why I am saying we need to just hunker down and be even more careful. Thing is that people are out and about and it's getting harder to avoid it because of the time it takes for test results to come back. Our friends we were going to see - he has a part time job and twice coworkers of his have tested positive. I asked if they would get tested also and she said no, they were monitoring themselves for symptoms. Which doesn't do any good if you are asymtomatic but can still transmit the virus to someone else. So we will just keep to ourselves. DH is taking a class on photography and manipulating photos - still life that he can do in the basement. I have a ton of paints and want to focus on my craft houses as well as watercolor projects. And there's a never ending list of housework tasks too!

And so we issue in a new year which we all hope will be better than last year. Was funny - 2019 was not the greatest year and then 2020 said - you wanna see BAD - wait!!

Hoping you and the family are feeling better Annie and on the mend.

Wishing all the rest of you chicks a Happy New Year ahead.

I will try to post more often this year.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy New Year everyone.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Happy New Year Everyone!
Thank you Happy for setting up the new thread for 2021.

We had a quite New Years Eve. Like Happy, we watched the Times Square ball drop. It was awful. I was really upset to see that bigger acts didnt lend themselves for performances for the show.
I liken it to watching B grade movies.

Today is the first day for me to be back to working out and logging my food. I took a 3 week break from all of it. I tried to be mindful of what I ate but didnt to to well with that.

I know I had to much sugar and because I didnt do moving around/exercising,.I have inflamation in my knees and feet and I can tell.my fibro is active.

So, today, my friend Ann and I walked, keeping it gentle and I am back to logging my food so that I am aware and making better choices.

I go back to work tomorrow....I have been on vacation for 3 weeks.....and it was very enjoyable.

MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #5  

I made it through the first day back to work.

I got up at 5:45 and got my workout done, but it wasnt easy getting up as that time. My body was protesting; it likes getting up at 8 a whole lot better.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:31 AM   #6  

Morning all and Happy New Year.

Thanks Happy for starting up a new thread. Sorry I don't have much to report. Back to work after using up more vacation time last week by year-end. Still carried over several vacation days into the New Year. First full week of work in a while, bleh. Looking forward to the next holiday in a couple weeks, lol. In a winter slump right now that I need to break out of!!

Hope you're all doing well - or better!!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #7  

It is Wednesday already!
Last night after dinner DH and I purchased a movie on our Prime Account to watch as nothing on TV looked appealing. We watched "The Upside" with Kevin Heart. It was a great movie. It was also very nice to just relax for few hours.

One thing I miss is going to the theater to watch a movie. Over the holidays when we were with our nephews we watched The Cruds 2. It is in theaters, if you can find one open
I loved the first Cruds movie and the 2nd was was even better.

I skipped the popcorn last night, but this weekend if we watch another movie ,I am going to have a small bowel. We had a friend who gifted us a box of different flavors of popcorn. It isn't from "Nuts on Clark" but I cant remember the name of it right now. I will look later and update. I am on the recumbent bike at this particular moment.

I hope your days is a good one Friends!
Old 01-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #8  

Morning all. For some reason when I posted yesterday, I didn't see any posts but the first one Happy did.

Happy - Your NYE meal sounded tasty - well, except for the peas, LOL. We went the easy route and had pizza. We didn't watch the ball drop in NYC, but we did watch the local tv coverage. Have to see if Mark Giangreco and Janet Davies (do the names ring a bell? They've both been around a while, so you might remember them from your time in Chicago) share a midnight smooch, since it's become a thing for all the years they've partnered up for NYE coverage - will they or won't they? Because they and their other co-hosts had no parties to cover, they actually sat on a sofa with plexiglass between them, dressed half in pajamas and half in dressy clothes. At midnight, hand puppets did the kiss. There were a couple other hosts in other locations, but all they really did was present boring pre-recorded material. Overall, very lame. == Sorry to hear about DH's brother. I hope he doesn't have any serious long-term effects after he's healed from the COVID itself. Good for you to sticking to your guns and doing what's safest for you (and others). We're not out of the woods yet by a long shot. == I've fallen into a sedentary slump lately since the weather turned cold, and I know it's not good for my body. Time to get back into an exercise routine. Our bodies were made to move!!

Susie - I weighed in on Monday and have been logging my eating - I was really inconsistent about that the past two weeks. Not back to any kind of real exercise routine. Just a random variety of exercises on various body parts totaling 20 minutes or so. I'd like to get out for some walking - I think I just need to bite the bullet and get out at lunchtime while it's light and then eat a very quick lunch after that. I could also be a bit more flexible with my schedule, so maybe I can just get out for a short walk later in the afternoon and extend my workday to make up for it. I hesitate to do this because even regular work meetings tend to take me out of my work groove, so I think leaving for a 20-30 minute walk might be disruptive as well. The days are already getting longer, but I'm also looking forward to the beginning of DST!

Hellos to Shad, Annie & Ceejay!
==
Nothing much going on. Work is work. Did I ever mention that a fellow department member that is not my boss, not the admin and not myself, the one I call the 2nd (as in 2nd in command, which is laughable) fell in the tub and shattered her elbow sometime not long before Christmas? She's out for 6-8 weeks and the rest of us have to "fill the void" as the boss puts it. I'm trying to do some of her work, but it's been somewhat impossible since she doesn't save any of her work to the network drive, just on her laptop hard drive. So I can't even figure out this year's project by looking at documents from last year - it's not available. I told the boss this yesterday and he suggested a couple places to look, but it's not there. I'll go back to him and he'll have to talk to her. He's known she doesn't put her work on the network for a long time, but never done anything about it. Now the hypothetical "hit by a bus" or "computer stolen" scenarios are replaced by the reality that she can't work for several weeks and 90% of her documents are in her laptop and not accessible to the rest of us. Okay, end of work rant.

Nothing much else to report. In my spare time I've been grocery shopping for my mom, reading, and watching tv. Bit by bit, very gradually purging some paper files from a file drawer to eventually make room for some work files as the pile is building on the top of the desk.

Okay, back to work. Everyone stay safe and healthy! TTFN.

Last edited by Laura705; 01-06-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Evening ladies
Not much is going on in my corner of the world. I did go to the gym--wore my mask then went to the grocery store.
Started on a WW program but not doing well on it. I'm doing this digital but think I may need to go to the "studio" as they call it now. Can't get into a mindset.
It's raining now but supposed to change over to sleet or snow by morning. At least I don't have to get out tomorrow if the roads are bad.

ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Okay, well 2021 is not getting off to a good start really is it?
  • The news coming out of the US is horrifying. Are we really so far down the track to anarchy? Can't anyone do anything to that man to get him away from his rallies and his mental demons are reminiscent of Hitler back in the 30's. Have we really learnt nothing from back then?
  • The world weather is becoming worse around the globe, although it seems we are having a 'normal summer' whatever that may be
  • The pandemic is not going to go away anytime soon and mutant strains are emerging all over the globe. There are vaccines now, but who knows what side effects and what long term effects may come from the speed of invention, production and usage from those.
Morning all,
Sorry to bring doom and gloom. I'm really over all of this now. Most of us are I suppose. However with the stupidity of many politicians and the greed of large multinational companies alongside the ignorance and prejudice of so many - it's just lucky that I am at this end of my lifespan rather than the other.

Laura and Annie - thank you for the Christmas cards which arrived last week (Laura) and yesterday (Annie). The post sure is slow these days. And the deliverers are unreliable much of the time.

Happy, thanks for setting up the thread, I meant to go back and do it, but I forgot. Good for you to leave off with the neighbours with whom you were going to spend New Years eve. A wise decision I think. Sorry to hear about DH's brother. It sounds like he has a big dose of the virus. I wish him well and hope for a brighter tomorrow. Time for the family to bury the hatchet really. One amaretto and lemonade shouldn't have too much impact however if you are eating a lot of sugary things as well as, then maybe it was the final straw for your body. I'm trying to start up a new exercise regime as well so maybe we need to synchronise watches and do it together. I'm still having difficulty getting rid of the excess weight from the prednisone. It's up and down and up and down but never seems to go away permanently Another drug to avoid and truth to tell, if I put on anymore, i may tip myself over to pre- or present diabetes. So let's watch it together.

Susie - good for you getting back to the things you know will work. Boohoo at being back on the job, but at least you are still working from home aren't you. Watch the popcorn - specially the buttered variety.

Laura - How well I know that winter slump, only here in the tropics it is the summer slump - where rain, wind and heat sap the energy. Better pull up the big girls' panties and we should just get on with it. Not putting work on the network is paramount to a verbal warning over here, do it more than once and you got replaced. Too many times what you are going through has happened on projects I have worked on. Seems some people are paranoid that 'someone' may steal their ideas. Other times it has been because the person really hasn't kept up with the timeslots or hasn't actually done the work at all. I used to keep a rough copy on my drive however as soon as it was presentable for public scrutiny up it went to the network and then the critics began. C'est la vie.

Hi Ceejay.

Think I have caught up a bit now on what you are all doing. I'm plodding along with mini projects around the house and am currently clearing out the shed down the back. Dirty job, but there is stuff there that should have thrown out years back. Stuff that doesn't work, stuff that has been left in the shed by others or given to me to 'look after'. Well it stops now. I'm going to get some more shelving, box up stuff for donations, and chuck the junk. Naturally enough this is financially the worst time of year for me, car registration, house insurance, council rates, credit card, and phone bill are all due in February so I have to be a bit careful for the next couple of weeks - add to that, I am going to need a new dishwasher soon and all the kitchen appliances are getting old. Not that I spend a lot anyway. As I have said before, as long as there is a roof over my head, food in my belly, clothes and shoes to wear and the dog and cat can live in the luxury to which they are accustomed, then what more do I need? If the shops are waiting for me to visit so they can make a profit, then they better begin getting in stuff that I need, which is not made in China and will last me for years rather than months. Rant over.

Okay, time to go put the vacuum cleaner back together and start sweeping and washing floors. No dog today which will make the clean last a bit longer. Tomorrow we have my nephews 30th birthday party. Why do the kids today get all worried about turning 30? Seems to me, 30 wasn't a bad place to be. Try 60 and 70 and then tell me about it.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #11  

AAAhh that sums up the day and probably the week. Now we are in lockdown for 3 days. It seems that someone coming in from overseas and going into quarantine has the virus mark 2. and cheerfully passed it on to a hotel quarantine worker who unknowingly went home, went shopping, went on a train. So in order to stop the spread we are all in lockdown until Monday..

If I get bored, you will be hearing from me.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:11 AM   #12  

Well day 1 of lockdown has gone fairly well. Yesterday was incredible, as soon as the news got out about the 6pm lockdown, the hordes stampeded and the queues in every shopping centre was horrendous. It's only 3 days people. How did you ever survive when the shops weren't open on Sundays? As per normal, they all went for the toilet paper. Why I don't know. Why that - it's a respiratory virus not a gastric one. Apparently fights broke out in the supermarkets in the Redlands area.
Anyway, all that done, I picked up some fruit and vegetables when I went to pick up my new specs but refused to join the queue just to get some cat food. I've got enough to last him a couple more days and I can go shopping at the local supermarket if necessary. Don't think I will go for a day or so. Give them a day or so to restock the shelves.
I have a long list of things that need doing around the house, however I wasn't prepared for the lockdown - who was with 12 hour notice, so I can't get to the hardware store to pick up a few things like paint and potting mix etc. I'm supposed to have some gravel coming on Monday but with the shut down, I don't know whether it will arrive but I guess I better prepare for it or it will arrive before I am ready.

Hope every one is feeling well and recovering from any sickness they have - especially Annie and her family. Catch you later.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #13  

The weekend went fast. I didn't go anywhere this weekend. Going back to work, even though it was just a short walk down the hall, and getting up early to get my workout in wore me out.

I did go to my TOPS meeting and had a 2 lb loss. I was happy with that.

Our friends who have the 4 girls that we call our neice, are in quarantine as one of the daughters, Layna, she is 16, has covid. She wasnt feeling good and after 2 days her mom thought it was time to check it out and took her to be tested. Everyone else tested negative.

The quarantine here is now 10 days, but I told them for us it would be at least 14 days for us before we would be around. We have done some porch drop offs for them for groceries of things that click list said wasnt available but when DH went to the store it was available.

Shad, I am confused why they are doing a 3 days shut down in your area. How is 3 days going to help. Wouldnt it be at least a 10 day or 14 day shutdown?

Ceejay, great to see you here. It might take a bit to get into the swing of working the plan you have for Weight Watchers. Dont give up on it yet. If you need to go to the "studio" then do that, it might help to get you going.

You mentioned you might get some weather with ice. I never try to drive on it, you really have no transaction at all on it.

The nice thing about being home this winter is I dont have to get out and drive in snow and cold.

Laura: I have been trying to get up two times a day and go do a walk on my treadmill for 15 min during my workday in addition to my AM workout. I know I am not moving enough during the day. It does take me a little bit to get back and focus, but I have tried to write down what I was working on before I took a break and what I need to start on when I get back. It seems to help.

My DH has a ultrasound tomorrow. He is having some issues that older men have. He is getting up about 3 to 4 times a night to use the bathroom and it is wearing him out.

His prostate blood test came back good, so they want to check some other things.

I cant go in with him and I dont like it a bit. They said the test is about 30 min and not evasive. He can take his phone in with him so we can talk while he is waiting. We see the urologist on Jan 22 for the results.

If you think about him, please say a prayer for him.

Last edited by MyChoice2bfit; 01-10-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #14  

Re our three day lockdown: When we have people coming home from overseas, they are required to do a 14 day isolation in a designated hotel (at their own expense). One person came in and tested negative the first day, but by day three he had full blown Covid with the UK Strain which is apparently more contagious than the common strain which we have here. Somehow he managed to pass the virus onto one of the hotel cleaners who lived out in the suburbs. She was out in the community for 5 days before the symptoms appeared and she got tested and put in isolation. So the race was on to trace where she had been and who she had been in contact with. By the time that was found, we had messages to get tested if we had been to the places where she had been - trains, supermarkets, shopping centres, etc. So the State Premier said that although it was unlikely that she passed it on to all and sundry, she called a three day lockdown to get all the contact tracing done and people getting tested. We were able to go to do essential shopping, medical appointments, exercise within 5k of home, and have only two people visit at a time and we were required to wear masks when leaving the house. This kept the population from congregating in small spaces and visiting old peoples homes and hospitals in case they had been one of the close contacts. To add to that, someone coming from the UK flew into Melbourne, isolated for 10 days and then flew into Queensland where it was discovered she had the UK variant as well although she was well through the infectious period, the lockdown was enforced for her area as well. Naturally enough some decided that they didn't need masks and refused to wear one when the police were handing them out after they were told to wear them. The fine was $200. Cheaper to wear one I guess. One or two got marched off to the cop shop and put in the cells until the courts could deal with them. Lockdown will be much longer for them. Anyway, it worked. It finishes at 6.00pm tonight and we will be able to go about our business again although we will still have to mask up for the next 10 days when visiting shopping centres, on public transport, supermarkets and all places where we can't physically distance. Our Premier does not muck around when we have an outbreak which is why we went for 7 months without a single case of COVID community transmission in Queensland. Hope that makes sense to you. Normally when people isolate they are isolating for 10 days, however now it is 14 days because of this UK variant and anyone coming into the country gets tested several times in isolation and there are security people and police to ensure they do not escape in the hotels. We did have several escapees a while back but since they got fined, longer isolation and attendant costs they seem to have given that up.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #15  

Morning all. Uneventful weekend. I had a hair appointment on Saturday. On Sunday, I did grocery shopping and went to my mother's place to drop some off. Her memory is worsening - or I guess some days are better than others. I do, however, feel strongly that she needs the help of a caregiver. Today is the 2nd try after postponing it last week when mom had a runny nose - which didn't end up being anything. My sister will go to my mom's to be there when the caregiver arrives to do a short wellbeing visit - and also check she's taken her meds, make sure the stove isn't on, see if the garbage needs to be emptied. Hopefully my mother will accept this because I feel we need to increase the caregiving time to several hours a day as soon as possible so that my mother can stay in her apartment (in a senior living community). There's a possibility that my sister and her husband will move out of state and move my mom to an assisted care home near wherever they move to. I'm conflicted about this, but since I'll be working FT for several years to come, I do believe assisted living will be necessary very soon. But both my sister and I agree that there should only be one move, so until that move happens, we need her to have in-home caregiving. Please cross your fingers that today goes well.
==

Shad - You didn't bring doom and gloom - it's been out there. Not a great start to 2021, that's for sure. Ugh, what a mess with these lockdowns and this extra-contagious version of this virus. Everyone can't possibly be policed to ensure they do the right thing, but of course there's all these people who won't do it...sigh.

Susie - Wishing Layna a speedy recovery and that it doesn't spread to the rest of the family. I hope DH's ultrasound went well today. Good job on the WL! As for getting out and moving during the day - yes, I'll have to fit movement into my workday in a manner that doesn't disrupt my productivity.

Ceejay - I hope the visits to the WW studio help you get into a groove. For myself, I need to get back to weighing myself weekly. I've been tracking my eating, but I haven't changed my eating much. I think seeing the number on the scale is what I need.

Hellos to Annie and Happy!

Back to work now. Everyone be safe and stay healthy!