Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #1  

Default February 2019 Ups and Downs

Hi everyone, and welcome to the February Ups and Downs thread

Please feel free to join us, we are a tight knit but supportive group for those struggling with mental health issues and weight!
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #2  

Hi everyone, I posted in January, then remembered we're now in February! When did that happen?

I have had a rough January. My Dad's mental health has been very poor, and I've been trying very hard to provide some extra support for him. He sent me a text last month saying thanks for everything I've done, and to "have a good life"... He's been ok, but now he has kidney stones, and has spent his week trying to decide whether to go to hospital or not.

My sister and I went to visit him yesterday, a day after the anniversary of my mum's passing. My sister was in a very argumentative frame of mind, and picked a big fight with me over not composting our food waste. It turned into a fight over having to be there for dad, but she is struggling mentally herself, and doesn't have much mental strength to spare. I've tried to persuade her just to text him once a week, because I know it will mean the world to him.

I feel a bit thinly spread at the moment, I was a bit dismissive of her problems, but I'm putting a lot of our behaviour down to the time of year.

I have really struggled to get back to healthy eating since Christmas - I gained 12lbs! I've lost 7 of them again, but I have been comfort eating (dairy in particular) this weekend. Not very good I'm afraid!

Last edited by Coop27; 02-03-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #3  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello friends! thank you Coop for starting a Feb. thread for us

Lots of posting near the end of last month, I had to go back and read it to refresh my memory.

Coop so good to hear from you! though I am so sorry about your Dad's health problems and the depressive sounding feelings he's having. And dealing with your sister's emotions too. Very tough. You have our love !! big congrats on losing more than half of your Christmas gain!

Flower - so nice to actually see you, in your avatar!! what a beautiful smile and your beautiful spirit is shining right through at us and thanks for your insights and comments on my always-vocal thoughts of my jobs The factory job place does not have air conditioning...I asked someone 'what is it like here in the summer?" and they said "hot and smelly" The 'coverage' I mentioned, at the summer job, was if I want to have a Saturday off, I would like someone to at least try to prepare the Saturday night dessert offering, instead of me having to prepare it on Friday (along with Friday's desserts). Or to have the Chef say that it's okay to offer maybe commercially- made ice cream with a house-made chocolate sauce, but someone has to scoop it and serve it. I don't think I can try to get the ball rolling about wage discussions until it gets closer to the Club opening, which is in May. I don't think alot of the members think of the place until at least April.

Kathleen - so good to hear from you!! so your appt with the surgeon was last Thursday, how did that go?? so glad you like this surgeon. that bodes well!! But Oh my gosh, this will be your 14th surgery?!! ? you poor thing!! but you must be looking forward to the thought of being relatively pain-free in the hip region when it is all done. Great news about your daughter!! all A's wow! and that your son is hanging in there. and congratulations on your anniversary

Lisa - so sorry to hear of your recent falls!! it is a tricky time of year, slippery crap is everywhere so sad that you have persistent negative feelings about your role as a mother, we wish you wouldn't!!! you are such a caring mom!!! I know it's easy for us to say 'don't feel that way' but we are

and welcome to Junkatarian ! we hope you visit here often and become part of our group!

The situation with our younger (married) son is still slightly strained, in that we want communication ALL THE TIME but he does not...I would LOVE to be able to call him once a week even to talk but he does not return phone calls, even email is sporatically answered. We 'called him out' on that and he was sarcastic to us because in his words, 'he is dealing with alot of bullsh*t now and we shouldn't get our feelings hurt so easily'. ugh. Yes he is dealing with alot . but at least he acknowledges that we just want to let him know we are here for him. And even though the wife moved out in October, we haven't heard that there is any 'moving forward' about getting this marriage legally over.

I have not worked out to an exercise dvd hardly at all in January, even though I had committed to. The snow has taken care of that!! just about every day in January, I went outside to either do the absolutely necessary shoveling of paths and driveway, or on the other days, to widen the paths and knock back the snowbanks. I am the Snowbank Warrior I am so glad that I can shovel for even 2 hours at a time and not be sore afterwards. That has been my exercise!! Weight is up and down. On my 'stats' I see I had my low of 143, I havne't seen that since last year. I'm more at 144 - 146. I think that puts me at 'normal' for my height. Though I did test at having more muscle mass than expected which i'm happy with.

Our dog Eddie is now at least 11 years old and he is showing some age related problems. My husband researched and made some cannabis butter "cannabutter" and boy EddieDog is now an herbal convert We put a little in his food bowl and he seems to be a happier boy Our State law allows us to grow a few plants so that is the source.

I wish the cannabutter tasted better, for me to try. I have been bothered by nighttime leg cramps for months now. Does anyone have any advice on that? they are bad enough that sometimes they occur every 30 minutes, all night long. It's the getting up out of bed and walking around and then getting back in bed, dreading the next one, that slays my sleep. and yes, always on work nights, I sleep like a rock on the weekends!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #4  

Holly! Yes, I have a tip for your cramp!!! Cramp like that can be caused by magnesium deficiency - I recommend taking some magnesium supplements - Pure Encapsulations do a good one. You should try Magnesium Citrate first off, but if that upsets your tummy, go for magnesium malate. Don't go for plain old Magnesium, as that's meant to be a laxative... You might also benefit from magnesium cream, which you can rub straight into your legs. Take it just before bed, and it will help you sleep too

I'm sorry your son is being so defensive, he sounds like he's trying to show a strong front. It must be a tough time.

I'm loving the sound of Eddie on his cannabutter
Old 02-10-2019, 03:37 AM   #5  

We finally got snow!!! Looking for 10 inches total by Sunday 1 pm.

The airport is shut down. There are 200 to 300 cars stranded on I-82.

BENTON COUNTY, Wash.-- 200 to 300 cars are stranded on I-82 near Coffin Road according to Washington State Troopers. Troopers report that several wrecks are blocking the roadway including a semi-truck that has jackknifed.

So while I like the snow the area is a mess.
lisaloveshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 AM   #6  

I got weighed at the dermatologist on Friday.

m down 10 lbs since I got weighed on Jan 8th at my last Dr appt.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #7  

Lisa - congrats on the 10lbs loss! That's fantastic!

How's the snow?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:33 AM   #8  

Stopping by to say hello. I have been reading posts. Will catch up on writing.
But for now just wanted to say hello and let you know I have been reading everyone's great posts.

okay, I could not resist a couple of comments today

Coop so sorry to read about the family challenges. Your father feeling so depressed. Sister picking a fight over composting

lisa yay re the weight loss. That is SO awesome!

Holly, I agree with Coop re magnesium. It might help the cramping. Many mag products act as a laxative. The topical ones bothered my skin. I ended up going with Magnesium L Threonate. I found it when I did online research. But my naturopath muscle tests that it's the best for me. Just be careful the mag you get does not contain ANY mag. Sterate. Here is a link to read about it. I found this article helpful. https://products.mercola.com/magnesium-supplement/. I hope your son is able to soon begin healing his heart. It's so hard when a son is hurting and will not let parents in.

​​​​​​​more hopefully tomorrow

Last edited by flower123; 02-14-2019 at 06:56 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop27 View Post
Lisa - congrats on the 10lbs loss! That's fantastic!

How's the snow?
We got 10 inches here in Kennewick, Coop and more snow and ice tomorrow. The local streets are bad.

I've been staying home. My small car doesn't do well in high snow.

I hope you are well.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:34 AM   #10  

I hope you're ok flower.

My knee cap feels like it's moved out of place. It came on yesterday. Hopefully it will work it's way back soon. ****er hurts.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #11  

Flower - thanks! I hope you're surviving the snow when do you go to your mother's?

Lisa I'm sorry your knee is hurting you
Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaloveshearts View Post
I hope you're ok flower.

My knee cap feels like it's moved out of place. It came on yesterday. Hopefully it will work it's way back soon. ****er hurts.
Lisa how is your knee today? Do you think it might be a good idea to see a dr if it's not better?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop27 View Post
Flower - thanks! I hope you're surviving the snow when do you go to your mother's?

Lisa I'm sorry your knee is hurting you
coop, thanks for asking. I got back from Boston 6 days ago. It was a very difficult trip. Mother was often quite harsh, as usual. the opposite of nurturing. Brother was horrifyingly punishing and cruel. Best I could do was try to nurture my elderly mother whom I would protect with my life. and be kind to brother while keeping a safe distance from him. he seems to justify his cruelty which makes it even more disturbing. He is wealthy and very high functioning. So I am guessing he never has to correctly see and own his behaviors. Much of which is indirectly due to me So despite my best efforts, still trying to recover. Wanting to comfort with food. I know your sister is also quite difficult. and you want to help your dad <3

Last edited by flower123; 02-15-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #14  

I'm good. The area is still getting out from under the snow. I got my car out finally. It's just too small. I'm going to check into getting a different one before next winter.

I've got a guy looking for one for me. He goes to auctions and buys cars.

Last edited by lisaloveshearts; 02-15-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower123 View Post

Lisa how is your knee today? Do you think it might be a good idea to see a dr if it's not better?
Flower,

I can't get into my orthopedist until next month. I called yesterday.

I've got a walker to help me but when it's bad, I can hardly stand to put any weight on it at all.

Last edited by lisaloveshearts; 02-15-2019 at 07:24 PM.