Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #1  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Starting again

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of a restart. I need to reset my mentality towards weight loss.

I used to be an active member of the 3FC for years, but in December I decided to take a break after realising that I was feeling pressure to keep up with other peoples successes. I was around 165 lbs when I left.

Today, I'm 187 lbs. I'm starting to feel aches and pains from inactivity, I feel sluggish and sometimes nauseous from not eating right, my clothes no longer fit me, I'm noticing my double chin returning and overall I am terrified of the health consequences that being obese leads to. I can't believe I'm obese again, after thinking I had said goodbye to that status years ago.

However, I need to forget the past and move forward. I think the biggest problem I had was comparing myself to my previous successes and also to other people. This is my journey, I need to set down a new path and work towards becoming healthy and happy. I need to stop saying "I used to weigh ___" because that only leads me to sadness that I regained the weight.

I'm hoping by wiping the slate clean I can see success in my future. Any words of wisdom, advice, tips and tricks would be hugely appreciated. Has anyone else here had a huge setback and overcome it? What did you do to move on?
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Yay! So happy to see you back here, Riestrella!! We surely missed you. I'm sorry you've had the gain. It happens to all of us from time to time. I can't say that you don't know what to do about it and I KNOW you will!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #3  

Hi Riestrella, It's good to see you back. Way to go for identifying things that didn't work before--that will stand you in good stead.

Having experienced a significant regain, I can't offer anything foolproof. But here is what's been helpful to me.. Find some nice things to wear that fit comfortably and look nice. I shopped sales, discount stores like Ross, & thrift stores, because I had tossed my big sizes when I reached goal. I spent a year hoping that wearing tight clothes would somehow change my eating. I didn't want to do things socially, in large part because I had nothing to wear, and my bra was restricting breathing.

The bigger message is there is no point to punishing ourselves--it doesn't really serve as good motivation to get back on track. As Carol said, you know what to do, and you absolutely can succeed. Maybe check out what the long time maintainers have to say, too.

I'm re-reading a book that helps me stay focused. You might have one or two that helped before, and now is a good time to re-read them. (Mine is called Addiction & Grace by Gerald May).

Last edited by Sundove; 07-01-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #4  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Welcome back. I sympathise I regained 40 pounds, I had a baby and after stopping breastfeeding I regained. I didn't find time to run, I didn't have the energy to prepare better food after working and when I restarted running I was injured so I was forced to stop. I couldn't even walk, Meh, Now that it is summer I do not work as much so I am going to restart. Hopefully, I will not have any problems with my foot. Like you say, there is no point in thinking about the past. What is done, is done.
What I intend to do now is visit 3fc daily, weigh myself weekly (as avoiding it is disastrous), swim more, try running again and prepare salads and fruit salads. I also made a collage with quotes, photos of clothes and nice food to inspire me.
Let's work and hope for the best.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #5  

Getting bored of diet plans or fitness programs is normal, probably due to one of these reasons:
1- Going by the same workout routine without changing the program every now and then.
2- Eating the same foods every day, you must not skip the cheat meal(s) especially if you're on a strict diet plan.
3- Finding no motivation to keep working out and tiring yourself.
There are many more reasons for getting bored but maybe those are the most common ones, in my opinion.
Try to avoid these mistakes when getting back on track and don't worry, you'll do great!
Danny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #6  

Over the years of my fitness journey--and it has been a long journey.

I have learned and re-learned one lesson.

I have one friend who can do everything well--walks for hours--never sore, picks up new sports like they were nothing.

At first, I got me upset--but, I finally realized that, I simply cannot do that--I can get there--but it takes me time.

So my advice to you is this, try and forget where you used to be--although it will be hard,

And simply focus on one day--one workout, one good meal choice at a time.

My last advice, do not worry so much about the weight--worry about how you are feeling.

Hope this helps.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #7  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

ok, i'll be contrary to the other advice, and say don't forget what you did before, and also how you felt about yourself before.
i'm 50 and have lost and gained a few times over the years, but this year has been my best effort yet.
There's so much more information around now - this time around I took what worked from previous attempts and added in stuff to make it better.
So think of all that's happened to you as experience that you can learn from, and use it to your advantage this time.

Ok I nicked this phrase from somewhere else (sorry haven't even got a source)
"Good judgement comes from experience. A lot of that comes from bad judgement"

I really believe that you've got more chance than ever of doing it right this time, and making it stick.
Good luck!!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'4"

This will sounds so weird but go watch a ton of Tony Robbins YouTube videos. I wen t from having every eating disorder, then to a physique body builder ( I WAS NOT HEALTHY) to a woman who is finally balanced mentally physically and emotionally with fitness and nutrition. Every time you have a negative thought swat it away and replace it with a positive one. Start Priming your brain first thing and your whole day will be different, it could be meditation, just dancing in your room or listing to something funny, absolutely anything will work. You have the most powerful thing in the universe in you skull, YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE and you are not only going to achieve this goal but all of the many other goals you might have. I always stop and look at all of the trees around me, and pretend every single leaf is cheering for me, **** every single one around the world is cheering for me... screw it CHEERING FOR YOU, Heck you could be the first on the round, the bird in the sky or even the rock in the lake and you are a beautiful human being that has the opportunity to not only live both thrive! You can do this love, just getting started is the first bump, but as long as you make this a lifestyle and not just a quick fix diet, you will freaking crouch it. Sending you all my love, feel free to message anyone for help!

xxx
Strong.Beautiful23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #9  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Wannabehealthy - Thank you for your kind words and belief in me!

Sundove - Wow, that seems like such an obvious thing to do, yet I wouldn't have thought of of buying clothes that fit me at this weight. I always tell myself I don't deserve to look good until I'm X weight, but you're so right! Wearing nice clothes should always be a must. Thank you! I'll definitely take that advice Thanks for the book recommendation as well.

Kitcherella - I've injured myself the same way, I think it is so important to really ease your body back into working out. Similarly to you, one time I went on a run and pushed myself too hard thinking I could handle it, only I injured my knee in a major way. I couldn't walk for about 2 months either! Good luck with your new plan, I'm in the Chicks Up For A Challenge forum doing the July Challenge to stay accountable

Danny21 - I'm guilty of eating the same foods! I think breakfast, lunch and snacks are my biggest downfall. I've eaten a peanut butter sandwich almost every day for 29 years

EricM - That's great advice, thank you. After comparing myself to others I really need to focus on my own journey and my own limitations.

ange82 - You're so right! I felt amazing when I was in the 150's. That's the weight range people started to really notice I was losing weight and it was a huge confidence boost. I should definitely bring back good habits that worked in the past and develop new ones. Thank you!!

Strong.Beautiful23 - Wow, thank you! That it such wonderful advice. I definitely need to train my brain to think positively and not be so hard on myself. I am in control and need to act on that! I love dancing so I definitely should take some time to have some fun! Seriously, thank you for such a beautiful and encouraging message, I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to cheer me on!!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #10  
Warrior Princess

Glad you are back, I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred again - Very effective. I regained everything back too. ☹ Join us in July daily accountability thread if you wish. You're definitely not alone.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 AM   #11  

Default Detox

I heard that in order to lose weight you need to detox your system. Years ago I did a huge detox and it seemed to work but when I started to re-eat food that I cut out I gained the weight back. I have been drinking a lot of green tea and that has seemed to help me lose weight. I saw this new stuff called red teas and was wonder if anyone else has tired it. What do you all think about this? goo.gl/9zBksh
Tigress2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'4"

of course love! I'm going to be honest I've felt pretty lethargic the last few days with the holiday, my fathers birthday and then mine tomorrow. So I told myself I'm going to cleanse my body and put me first, enjoy a small piece of cake and then move on with my life. Dancing around and meditating are the two ways I keep myself going and it helps improve my whole day. Just take each moment at a time and know each couch you make is creating your future and you will achieve that dream body you have always wanted!
Strong.Beautiful23 is offline   Reply With Quote