Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: August 14 - August 20

Major event of the day: The 'technician' from the gas company comes today to change the gas meter. By law, that must be done every five years. Turns out that the law was written a zillion years ago when defective meters and false-reading meters were a problem. That's been long ago fixed. But we still need them to be replaced. "A person over 18 must be present" when the technician comes. DW and I will somehow divide the four hours "between noon and 4 P. M. - but we'll call you shortly before we arrive" so that neither of us loses half a day waiting. This is a job for my butler, LOL.

Eating and exercise are only going OKish. I've been letting distractions interfere with a sane life.

I don't have a serious input to the discussion about one or two threads. I am fond of our Maintenance Community; Meg (of eons ago) first introduced me to the notion of maintenance. To me, it's when you've lost a chunk of weight and are attempting to stay there or to return there. It certainly doesn't have the adrenalin rush of the steady first loss. For me, it also doesn't have the motivation that allowed me to sit at a dinner party and politely refuse dessert - regardless of what was offered. In those days, I would even refuse the FREE dessert that came with a prix fixe meal just because it wasn't on my plan for the day.

In my mind it's similar to a long-time marriage; some things just don't raise the old passion.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I too am fond of the Maintenance community. There really is no other place for me on this forum. And it's a good place to be, IMO.

There is no excitement to maintaining weight loss though. It's a daily slog and it's lifelong. It does get boring to post about it. And we have a number of social media sites in which to share life events that don't pertain to our weight.

But it is a necessary part of health that very few people are aware of or talk about. I first encountered it here and it's saved me from continuing the ongoing yo-yo dieting I'd been doing for 20+.

I hope the community continues, even if it's only the one thread.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #3  

This is my busy week before vacation. I'll probably mostly lurk this week.

Dagmar
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Are you vacationing anywhere Dagmar or just taking time off?
I agree that this forum is the place for me. I could post elsewhere, but where?

First day with kiddos at school today. They'll visit me but they don't start library classes for 2 weeks.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good observations. Maintaining is definitely not that exciting. However, it's the most important part of losing weight if you don't want to be a statistic, IMHO. Someone once said that maintenance is like dieting on a short leash, and for me that's true. I, too, started maintenance when Meg and Mel were moderating.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:19 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Good observations. Maintaining is definitely not that exciting. However, it's the most important part of losing weight if you don't want to be a statistic, IMHO. Someone once said that maintenance is like dieting on a short leash, and for me that's true. I, too, started maintenance when Meg and Mel were moderating.
I always like it when you pop in, Sheila, because it gives me that historical perspective. I was here in those days too. I wonder how Meg and Mel are getting on. Does anyone hear from them?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #7  

I remember Meg taking time off to be with her first grandchild. I think she then handed off to our current moderator Bill. I was always so impressed with Meg's statistics that I still remember them. She lost "herself" - from 270 to 135 lbs. for a weight loss of 135 lbs.. And then she kept it off for over 8 (?) years.

WOW!

Dagmar
Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I also remember Mel and Meg. And a lot of others that aren't around any longer.

I'm heading out on yet another vacation tomorrow. This time is a drive to Park City, UT for a golf tournament. It'll be a short--6 day--trip. At least I'll get a little exercise and experience slightly cooler weather.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #9  
Workin' It

The last I saw of Mel she popped up in a CrossFit tournament I was reading an article about somewhere or other. And I remember Meg and the grandbaby. I hope they are well.

Sheila - I always think about you at the start of college football season when I see the team with the blue field, have for years now. I don't remember the story, or why I even associate it with you, but I always do.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Sheila - I always think about you at the start of college football season when I see the team with the blue field, have for years now. I don't remember the story, or why I even associate it with you, but I always do.
Go Broncos!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #11  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Go Broncos!!
There it is!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #12  

Starting my vacation and my caffeine detox tomorrow. Both are much needed.

Good weekend all!

Dagmar
Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy Vacay (and detox!)
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:35 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

So shall we stop having this weekly thread now? All weekly chat to be in the Getting Back thread? And then start a new thread with a new name when we've worked out a name?

(I am being a new broom sweeping clean here. A week away makes me feel like this when I get home. Is it going to power me up sufficiently to wash the kitchen floor though?)
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #15  

Let's try without the weekly thread and we can always switch back if things get too busy with just one thread. I find I always post more in the colder months when maintenance becomes more challenging.

Dagmar