Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #1  

Default Ups and Downs Thread March 2017

Hi all,

Welcome to the ups and downs thread for March 2017!

This is place for those who need support, as a place vent and share your life comings and goings. Please join us, and keep us company for what's left of March (and beyond if you like )
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #2  

Hi all,
Thought it was about time for a proper catch up, but I suddenly realised it’s March, and we’re due a new thread. Responding to all you posts from Feb here!

I don’t think I said a proper hi to all our newbies last month! Hi to all I’ll try to say something to you all, but sorry if I miss anyone, I’ve a lot to catch up on!

Hiimawkward – how is weight watchers going? I hope you’re able to get your motivation back with it! I know what you mean about losing your weight loss mojo – it’s so tough to get the same thing second time around, especially with mental health issues weighing in too.

Jessica – it’s good to see you posting again. Huge congratulations on losing 8lbs at WW – that’s amazing! Hope you continue to lose

Cinnamonhearts – you’ve managed some great weight loss in the past, I hope you’ve managed to get some control back over your diet. It’s very tough when your mind seems to be against you. You will get on top of things! Have you made it to the gym much this week? I know what you mean about it feeling more sociable – I went through a spell of feeling just completely lonely and isolated, and it was one of the things that helped to pull me out of my worst, even though I'd only say hello to the receptionist. It’s a great thing to keep up with if you can. Did you get your prescription? I’m also really fascinated by the CBT techniques you mentioned. I’ll need to look into it more.

Helianthus – how did your job interview go? Please let us know how you're getting on with your drawing too.

LovelyLeah – I’m sorry to hear how you’ve been struggling. I hope today has been a good day. You sound very lucky to have a lovely husband! I can understand the strain you are under, it can't be easy. You guys sound like a great team, and you'll pull through.

Lisa – how is your new place? And how are your ears doing now?

Kathleen – I’m sorry things kicked off in your house again. I really do pray things will settle soon. I hope your journal helped you! Wow, I can’t imagine growing up as one of 7 children - 1 sister is hard enough for me! Big birthday for your son, I hope you guys had a lovely celebration! It must be very bitter-sweet to be celebrating and commiserating at the same time. I can’t imagine

Holly – I completely forgot about daylight savings until you mentioned! That will be lovely, although I hate getting used to the new time. Wow – I’m so impressed with you managing 6 days without sugar/flour! Your meal plan sounds fab – I need to take a leaf out your book!

Monica – I really hope your nerve has eased off – how painful! Thanks for taking time to post to us despite it.

Last edited by Coop27; 03-07-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #3  

Oh my goodness, that was a long catch-up! You've all been so busy, and it's lovely to see so many new "faces" around the forum.

I'm sorry I've been so absent, it's been a busy period for me - work is busy, and I also took on an extra project in my personal time, which has taking a lot more time than I thought it would. On top of that, we've been continuing to get to grips with OH's Celiac status. There is a lot to get your head around! I like being busy, it makes me feel a bit more purposeful, but then after a while I start to long for the lazy times again.... You can't win!

Now I worry I've said too much with my dad... It is a difficult one, and I guess you can't get the full picture. Our relationship is hard and far more awkward than it should be, but we do still love him! I don't think he does these things to be cruel, I think he just has always liked quiet time, and always just took for granted that we/mum were there. In some ways, mum has always been the go-between, telling us dad's news and telling dad our news. Now she isn't with us any more, we are making more effort and gradually building something of a relationship with him, although it does still feel very one-sided.

It was lovely news about my sister, and it came just a couple of days before her 30th too, so a nice gift! She also suffers with mental health issues, and is still very stressed about everything, despite the worst case being ruled out. The cells they found could be pre-cancerous or they could just be abnormal - if pre-cancerous, there is always a risk they could develop again later, and that is what she is nervous about. The doctor will know to keep a very close eye on her though, and she will be tested regularly to make sure she is healthy. I wish I could get her to see the good side of it, but we all know how difficult that can be when your mindset just isn't there. She will see it one day.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Coop - thank you for realizing it is March! and for doing the thread proper

Haha, yes we either yearn for quiet times when it's busy, or want busy when it's quiet!

You sound 'in a good place' regarding your relationship with your Dad, good for you!

I don't know WHERE I am getting the resolve to stick to this current diet mode, well it is the first 2 weeks of the South Beach diet, but i Have been reading SO very much about the evils of refined sugar, I thin that is what is helping me. And maybe it was 'just time'.

almost all the snow in our yard is gone but still quite cold. In fact we had ice pellets today which turned my car into one big popsicle. Had to chip to get into it. and spent my exercise time spreading sand instead oh well.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #5  

Oh my goodness Holly, I just can't wrap my head around the cold weather you suffer through! I hope you have the driest, sunniest summers to make up for it!

Sugar really is such an awful thing, I just hate how it's in everything as well. You really will feel better for it though. I am still eating way less sugar than I was before Christmas, but my OH is still using his whole "eat it while I still can" card Easter chocolate is the big one right now, and a lot of restaurant food too. Hope your diet is plainer sailing!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #6  
Biker Chick!

darn it I replied on the old thread

So now I have 8 days *almost* sugar free, I THOUGHT I was 100% except I happened to pick up my container of Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt which tastes SO delicious and I thought it was sweetened with Splenda or something else artificial which I am OK with, but reading through the whole ingredient label I found fructose and in my Chobani Simply 100, CANE JUICE! exactly the stuff I wanted to stay away from!! so back to the sour plain store brand nonfat plain unflavored greek yogurt.

I have probably lost pounds of water weight which is common when you start a low carb diet but I'm not getting on the scale until I have to, which is next Thursday for my pre-surgery physical.

I called California yesterday to order my pre surgery eyedrops which are not cheap (2 bottles for $60) and not covered by insurance whatever.

We had snow overnight enough to have to shovel to get out of the driveway, well it IS still March, but it was so nice having bare ground for a few days.

I need to spend time today to make a couple batches of food and freeze for my meals this week.

hope everyone is feeling at least OK come on Spring!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #7  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile

I am happy to report that things have smoothed out in our home... if only for the moment. I'll take it! Finally had my therapy appointment yesterday and my therapist said I laughed more than I ever have in an appointment, so I guess I'm making progress in the sense that at least I can laugh at my problems now!?! I am definitely learning how to stand my ground in my relationship with my husband (and even with my now adult kids), while remaining much calmer and staying in my "adult" self mode, if you know what I mean. Not stooping to childish behavior. Our communication has always been a challenge. Neither of us are very good at being patient listeners with the other. I admit I need to work on my listening skills. We also have some unresolved issues that rise to the surface during times of conflict. Periodically, we go to family counseling sessions, but we should really be going on an ongoing basis. We need it. I like my therapist and always feel good after coming out of a session with her. That being said, I am doing well enough now that we are going to try to go to only once a month appointments. I think I'll be able to manage okay with that, and if not, I can always call and get in between appointments. I am thankful for my meds and my therapy. They help to keep me on an even keel most of the time.

I am also happy to report that I have lost about 7 pounds in the past couple months since switching my hormone therapy medication (for breast cancer recurrence prevention). It has been so nice to periodically step on the scale and see that number finally go down instead of up or staying stuck on an unpleasant number! I still have a significant amount of weight to lose to get to my goal, but it has been a relief to finally be heading in the right direction again.

Coop: Thank you so much for starting the new thread for March! We were all just posting away... not even realizing that we were posting on the old thread! Glad you brought us up to speed! Don't worry about the things you shared about your dad. We understand. Of course you still love him! No parent is perfect and, as adults, we need to learn to relate to our parents adult to adult, which can be tricky... at least it has been for me. And I would imagine things are way more difficult for you now, since your mum is not around. Add to that a new woman coming into the picture, and I can see how it would be stressful for you. But that doesn't take away the underlying love you have for your dad. Am I understanding this situation correctly? I just don't want you to regret posting and I also want you to know that we don't think you hate your dad or anything.

Monica: I hate to hear that you've been dealing with pain from sciatica and a pinched nerve. That sounds awful! I can totally understand eating junk food under those circumstances. Comfort food. It sounds like you are being very proactive in attacking it with physical therapy, acupuncture, massage, and chiropractor visits. Have these things helped at all yet? I sure hope so!

Holly: Oh my gosh, I am SO impressed that you have gone so long without any sugar, flour, or starch... especially being a pastry baker!!! That is AWESOME!!! I knew you would ROCK this eating plan!!! Notice how I didn't call it a "diet?" P.S. ~ Just noticed you updated us to say that you found some sugar in the yogurts you've been eating. You weren't even aware of it, so I say it doesn't count as ruining your sugar-free eating streak!

JesikaBeth: You are blessed that, at the age of 36, this is your first experience with death. But, yes, that makes things that much more difficult for you now, especially with that first death being that of your mother. Glad to hear that you are working through the grief process. Remember that it is going to take awhile. Try not to rush or force the process. Be patient and kind to yourself in the meantime. I don't mean to preach or lecture you. Just concerned about you and want you to be okay!

Lisa: Looking forward to you getting your internet hooked up, so you can be back with us full force! I hope you are loving your new home!!!

IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #8  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Question Help please!

I can't figure out where I go in my control panel to update my weight. Can someone please direct me there? Thanks!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #9  

Still on for internet service Sunday afternoon.ill see you all on Sunday.
lisaloveshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #10  

Holly - I add frozen raspberries to Greek yoghurt, then let them defrost a little so the juices come out and flavour the yoghurt for me. Not as sweet as you'll be used to, but less boring. If you do want a touch of sweet, add a small amount of maple syrup - although check for the pure stuff, not maple flavoured sugar syrup.

Kathleen - I'm so glad things are calmer, and your therapy appointment went well. It sounds like you're in a positive place, and your meds are the right mix! I think you're fairly close with things about my dad. I do still feel bad for saying bad things though...
Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post
I can't figure out where I go in my control panel to update my weight. Can someone please direct me there? Thanks!
At top of page, when you're logged in, click User CP
Under "Your Control Panel",
click Edit Details

hope that is what you were looking for! and SO glad to hear the home front is a little better!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #12  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop27 View Post
Holly - I add frozen raspberries to Greek yoghurt, then let them defrost a little so the juices come out and flavour the yoghurt for me. Not as sweet as you'll be used to, but less boring. If you do want a touch of sweet, add a small amount of maple syrup - although check for the pure stuff, not maple flavoured sugar syrup.
Mmmm I love berries in yogurt! I will definitely do that when I'm "allowed" to have them again (when I'm done with this 2 weeks of introductory South Beach) mmm next Wednesday will be Berry Day I have blackberry bushes and when they produce, i just LOVE picking them and putting them in my yogurt! And I do have a big jar of pure Vermont maple syrup in the refrigerator.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaloveshearts View Post
Still on for internet service Sunday afternoon.ill see you all on Sunday.
Yay!!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #14  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Nobody cares!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody ****ing cares!!!!!!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:23 AM   #15  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I don't care either
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote