Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: October 10 - October 16

Watching last night's presidential debate was just painful. I didn't eat about it only because it ended late enough for me to just go to bed.

It rained all day yesterday, making gardener DW very happy. We do need the rain before the cold sets in; wet soil protects the roots.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The debate was atrocious. I just don't understand why anyone could like him. Or trust him. It makes no sense.

We're all sad in our valley as two police officers lost their lives on Saturday--the first two in over 53 years.

And we're hearing stories of the Desert Trip, aka Old 'Chella. Our estimator went Friday and Saturday and said it was a disorganized mess and decided not to go for Sunday's concerts.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I have very strong feelings about this year's presidential race. It's weirdly personal. I can only guess at what kind of psychological connection has occurred here with my own memories and personal experiences, even aside from where I stand on many of the issues.

Though my friends' affiliation fortunately mirrors my own, I have to be careful. Much of my mother's family disagrees with me, which I expected to happen, given their TV habits and past voting records.

And at work, it's just not a good idea to bring it up unless in a one-on-one conversation when you know you are absolutely safe and can't be overheard.

I hate that it's like this.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I have watched none of the debates. I do not feel poorer for that. I am missing nothing. I know what my choice is, and further data is not needed. There is no point in exposing myself to upset and uproar. As it is, I still get more than enough information about what's going on.

You remember my "admirer" at the Lots O'Luck Fitness Lounge. He has recently added a presidential candidate's sticker to his car--not the one I favor. It's hard to remind myself that my admirer is not to be hated for this.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I was so sad to hear of those police officers, Allison. Both of their stories are just heartbreaking.

I was non existent last week with my book fair, but I'm back in action now! Ready to take off my pounds.... But, dd came in last night and we all travel to Arizona Thursday so food and exercise will be tricky. I have to remind myself that I can only control so much. I had to bring dh to work so dd could use his truck. That may or may not mess up my exercise plans later as someone will have to pick him up.

I also have rotten allergies (or a cold) that I'm suffering through. Yuck.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #6  
Workin' It

My political affiliation differs greatly from most people around me here in the south and my family as well. I'm the only one at my office with my belief set, and it is never wise to bring anything up where the owners may hear. Now, they can come in and tell me I'm never getting another raise because I voted for ... and expect to lecture me about my poor choices, but I can't say a word. And my father's birthday is 11/7 - it makes it a painful experience to plan birthday parties every four years...

Jay - I don't find that bumper sticker surprising for some reason.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner last night and I am going to attempt turkey a la king tonite before freezing whatever is left for a great soup post Christmas.

I didn't really overeat on this celebratory weekend. I had two cans of cider and one bowl of ice cream but that was all the indulgence I cared to have.

Nice weekend! Very much needed and appreciated and I am giving thanks I was able to spend it with DH and my pets.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:23 AM   #8  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick hello before I get on with another busy day.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I'm trying to purchase Christmas gifts from our Canadian alternate to Amazon. Frustrating. Great in-store service but online (where all the selection is) sucks.

Resetting my password for the 10th time.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

My FB is a war zone. I have both sets of the candidates' True Believers, and have myself been following WikiLeaks. But I miss the days when you just didn't discuss this stuff.

Went for a run this morning. That needs to be reinstituted daily. It makes the entire day go better.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #11  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

(in the UK, as you probably know) I'm not on FB, thank goodness. I don't think I could cope. And I'm so busy I can't cope with world or domestic politics on Twitter either. I'm off it for about a week. And we don't have a television. Also don't get me started about the radio.

I'm still editing political papers though ...

I think I'll be OK.

Last edited by silverbirch; 10-15-2016 at 10:03 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I just checked out of Facebook for the duration--won't be back on until after the election. Maybe I'll enjoy not being there so much that I won't go back, who knows?
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote