Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #1  

Default hypothyroid and Paleo

hi.. I have been hypothyroid for about 1 1/2 years.. taking synthroid and my levels are good but I still cant seem to lose weight... I decided to try paleo just about 5 wks ago and my leg pain has gone by 75% which is awesome!! I can sleep better too because the pain is not keeping me awake anymore.
the first week of paleo I lost 10 lbs! which I know is mostly water weight.. the 2nd week another 3.5 lbs.. then the third week I went back up that 3.5 lbs and been pretty much yoyoing ever since.. I cant seem to advance anymore.. now on my 5th week I'm back to 10 lbs total loss... Anybody have any advice on why this might be happening? I feel great! I just would like my scale to show my efforts.. (ps. also started exercising 3 times a week for 30 min sessions in my 5th week.)
charmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Hey there Charmc,

I am hypo as well - for 14 years now. I've not gone full on paleo - but have done low carb diets, eliminating all gluten (hence flour, wheat etc) dairy eggs and cheeses (due to food allergies). I will lose for 3 or 4 weeks and then for no reason the scale will stay still for a week or go up a pound or 2. Don't get discouraged. A great tool is also to take your measurements in addition to the scale. The scale may no be moving, but you might be getting smaller/tighter. That weight may be redistributing itself as muscle right now - and muscle weighs more than fat.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #3  

Hello i am new to this site but I have been in desperate need and help on how to lose weight being hypo I have heard so much about Paleo do you have any suggestions for me
LADYRED15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #4  

There are a lot of great books out there about low carb diets and the Paleo lifestyle. Paleo isn't just about how you eat, but about how you live. So if you aren't ready to make that dramatic of a lifestyle change and commitment you might want to look at other low carb options. Tried and true ones are South Beach and Atkins and I believe both have forums here. Important thing is to educate yourself as much as possible about both hypothyroidism and diets.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #5  

thank you that is a start. Have you tried any of these?
LADYRED15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #6  

I did Atkins about 20 years ago and lost 40 pounds and kept it off until I quit smoking LOL.

I tried South beach but it was too complicated for me. Right now I am following a low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat plan similar to Ideal Protein and it works for me. Down 30 pounds since Jan. 11th
Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi guys: I've just found out that I have Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, which for me right now means higher levels of antibodies while still having what is termed normal levels of everything else. Obviously they are not my normal or I wouldn't be feeling this way. My doc & I have done some research and found via PubMed studies (2013-2015) that a gluten free way of life is very important in this/Hahshi's/Graves. Also another thing that seems to be important is going dairy free. Perhaps that is why Paleo works well for many.
One thing I learned from this experience is that we are very susceptible to other immune diseases ie Late Onset Type 1 Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis and other forms of Arthritis, etc. And we often have Celiac Disease un/misdiagnosed.

While I am not on meds presently - we are looking at herbal/alternative treatments to balance my immune system since I do have FM dx'd and very likely have Celiac Disease (although I was GF for so long before testing, things showed inconclusive).

Hoping things continue to improve for you guys....
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYRED15 View Post
Hello i am new to this site but I have been in desperate need and help on how to lose weight being hypo I have heard so much about Paleo do you have any suggestions for me
I lost my 30+ lbs with Ideal Protein's GF options. Works well. I am in maintenance for over 2 yrs now.

Liana
Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #9  

Liana: Most folks that I talk to with one autoimmune disease tend to develop others. I am hypothyroid and have both rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia as well. My rheumatologist has shown me studies that show people with RA do much better with a gluten free diet as well. I was diagnosed with food allergies that include all dairy, eggs, gluten and beef, in addition to about 20 other food items.

I have been GF since Jan 11th (this go round) and within a week of not consuming I felt a dramatic physical and emotional difference. I am now starting to wean off of eggs, dairy and beef.

I had done Ideal Protein previously and lost 135 pounds - but it is too low fat of a diet to stay on for extended periods of time. It caused all sorts of health issues. I am not knocking IP - I loved it - it works great! I think though it is best for people with less than 50 pounds to lose.

I am actually following a modified IP program now that my Rheum. helped me created with the appropriate amount of healthy fats for me.

Do you supplement iodine? I had tried synthetic iodine that the doc recommend years ago - it made no difference. But I started using a brand called Terry Naturally Tri-Iodine about a year ago and saw a huge difference. My nails which were always paper thing are now hard as nails and grow properly. I use a collection of natural supplements in addition to my Armour thyroid medication and the RA meds.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195

Height: 5'4"

I also heard about relief autoimmune disease sufferers can get from reducing gluten and carbs. Last year I went on a low carb diet for a few months and lost 10 lbs and was feeling great! When I switched to a new job I ate terrible, gained back the 10 and added 12 more! So I'm back to trying to figure out a new version of the plan I did last year. I'm starting small - my biggest challenge is last minute meals so I started meal prepping my meals for work. I make a large pot of soup with veggies and some time of protein like a chicken or turkey and then I freeze it in smaller containers. Each morning I take a frozen container in my lunch bag and by lunch time its mostly thawed out and ready to microwave. I did see some really good paleo breakfast recipes online that I want to try and add to my new way of eating. Right now I just do a boiled egg and coffee and sometimes am ok but sometimes find myself starving! So I want to try the omelet and veggie recipe and I saw an egg mix in a muffin tin that can be prepped ahead of time. Need ease and delish!
mommymeohmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #11  

Hi Kat117: I agree Ideal Protein is not a diet you use forever, but that low fat and low carb stage is just to get the pancreas reset, and force your body to use the stored fat. Once you have lost the weight, you eat a lower carb diet and separate the meal that is mainly fats from the meal that has higher carbs, a 3:1 ratio in each direction. I know several gals and a guy personally who have lost close to or more than 100 lbs (128 in one case) using Ideal Protein or alternative products that fit the macros, who are still keeping it off a few years later. Ideal Protein emphasizes the fats in a more keto style maintenance diet once you have lost. But not everyone reacts the same, our bodies are all individual. So it's good to find what works for you.

I am taking Selenium, which randomized prospective controlled studies have shown is vital for autoimmune thyroid issues. Iodine on its own without selenium generally is detrimental in this case. The dosage suggested by the studies and also by my doc is 200mug (micrograms not milligrams). I am also taking L-Tyrosine which is supposed to help.
Here's the abstract for the study that's easiest to read: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17696828

and another useful site: http://www.drdach.com/Selenium_Hashimotos.html
He is an MD with over 25 yrs in the traditional medical fields who got interested in natural remedies and now also practices in that field. His site has proper studies cited and referenced, even though he has books to sell (but not a hard sell, lol) and an office to visit if one wishes.

So far I have been on these supplements for a month and have felt improvements to my energy (I have been able to work full time, with some overtime, and take care of my senior parents who need some help at home - mom with dementia, and keep up my RCMP volunteer activities). The actual numbers will be tested in October (6 month check-up) so we will see, but so far I am pretty pleased.

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 06-03-2016 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Thyroid issues

Thanks so much for all that information. I recently started taking Selenium, not sure if 'when' I take it, or w/wo food,or the strength. Pretty much stumbling along w/info. I find.(thank you again for your references) I did stop drinking tap water,as our water here is loaded w/fluoride which I've read is not good for thyroid issues. Now I buy pure water w/o attitives which I think if a good thing. However losing weight seems to be nearly impossible...and am open to ideas that might help me. Nice to meet you.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

If you've lost 10 lbs, it's working despite the yo-yo. Past experience is that it's typically water weight--squishy fat is a telltale indicator of that. You've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks. You're well within the realm of normal, sustainable loss.

I was testing mildly hypo on my TSH tests. I was also testing at 16 on my Vitamin D levels. When I got my Vit D over 30, TSH had adjusted to 2.15...which was a pretty amazing change. If you haven't had your D levels tested, please do. I live in Arizona, of all places. Work schedule, scorching heat, and sunscreen keeps mine low despite the locale.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/150/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi Kat117: I agree Ideal Protein is not a diet you use forever, but that low fat and low carb stage is just to get the pancreas reset, and force your body to use the stored fat. Once you have lost the weight, you eat a lower carb diet and separate the meal that is mainly fats from the meal that has higher carbs, a 3:1 ratio in each direction. I know several gals and a guy personally who have lost close to or more than 100 lbs (128 in one case) using Ideal Protein or alternative products that fit the macros, who are still keeping it off a few years later. Ideal Protein emphasizes the fats in a more keto style maintenance diet once you have lost. But not everyone reacts the same, our bodies are all individual. So it's good to find what works for you.

I am taking Selenium, which randomized prospective controlled studies have shown is vital for autoimmune thyroid issues. Iodine on its own without selenium generally is detrimental in this case. The dosage suggested by the studies and also by my doc is 200mug (micrograms not milligrams). I am also taking L-Tyrosine which is supposed to help.
Here's the abstract for the study that's easiest to read:

and another useful site:
He is an MD with over 25 yrs in the traditional medical fields who got interested in natural remedies and now also practices in that field. His site has proper studies cited and referenced, even though he has books to sell (but not a hard sell, lol) and an office to visit if one wishes.

So far I have been on these supplements for a month and have felt improvements to my energy (I have been able to work full time, with some overtime, and take care of my senior parents who need some help at home - mom with dementia, and keep up my RCMP volunteer activities). The actual numbers will be tested in October (6 month check-up) so we will see, but so far I am pretty pleased.

Liana
This is really interesting to me. Thank you for this post.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid (direct quote was "your thyroid levels are so low, you're almost in a coma") about 10-yrs ago and have been taking Synthroid ever since, and Cytomel was recently added. I have been very thin my whole life, except for when I was initially diagnosed hypothyroid and currently, starting about a year or so ago. Both times, my weight shot way, way up, and I also experienced all the other classic hypothyroid symptoms. The first time, as soon as I started taking Synthroid, the weight just fell right off. Granted, I was 34 then and not 44, but my metabolism has otherwise always been very high, even in my early 40s.

At the end of last year I got some lab work done, adjusted thyroid meds and added Vit D & B, which were alarmingly low. I started keeping track of my calories and following a diet of lean protein, low carbs and began losing weight pretty quickly. And, I felt really good, to boot! I suddenly stopped losing weight, I don't feel as good (although I don't feel "bad"), yet, I have not changed my program other than to change caloric intake for adjusted weight. A full thyroid panel comes back normal, yet I still feel like I'm having the classic hypothyroid symptoms.

After some research, I finally bought some Raw Thyroid today. When I got home I did some (belated!) research on the differences between raw thyroid and Armour, and stumbled into some discussion on iodine. I was going to come here to post an inquiry, but here is your post, and with selenium added to it. My experience with selenium is limited to raising livestock. I used to give my sheep mineral blocks (often called salt blocks... read: "iodine") with very small amounts of selenium, for healthy immune function, a strong oxygenated blood supply and good reproductive health. Not may people worry about the thyroid health of livestock, so I guess I would not have put that together.

Anyways, I'd really wanted to ask for other people's experiences with Raw Thyroid, but now I am planning a return trip to the health food store to pick up some selenium and some L-Tyrosine. I will be interested to see what your labs say in October. Thanks again for your post.

In the meantime, does anyone have any feedback on Raw Thyroid?
NorthernLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:44 AM   #15  

NorthernLight be careful and make sure that you are not taking a mixture of ingredients - the only capsules I could find Medscape info on have added kelp (iodine) and white Korean ginseng and I'm not certain they would help and not harm.
You can get raw thyroid compounded by a compounding pharmacy, but there have been cases of mistakes in dosage being made (milligrams instead of micrograms) and hospitalization. But then again, that could happen with any med (and has!).
I'd try going with the L-Tyrosine and Selenium personally before going with raw thyroid, to see if I get the results I want, but that's just me, you do what feels right for you!
Good luck! Keep us up to date on how things go...

Liana