Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Whitney Thore's Response to Body Shamers

Whitney Thore's response to Nicole Arbour's video & all body shamers. #NoBodyShame

https://youtu.be/r2YYZBrPwwU
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I hadn't heard of Arbour or her video, and now that I've watched it I wish I hadn't -- even in the cause of being 'informed' that was a hateful waste of time.

I really like this article's response to it, I felt it was spot on.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #3  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Wow. What a sociopath.
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #4  

It shows what we are up against when we are overweight. I have to tell you, I have been in a quagmire of medical visits these last 2-3 months, and I'd forgotten about the fat shaming that happens in the medical community. It's not quite as blatant at my weight (not good, but not absolutely horrible), but it's in the little comments - implying how my health issues are my fault/obesity related. I'm very firm about voicing my commitment to exercise and healthy eating - I won't let my health issues get dismissed as being due to weight (my blood pressure has been high at my lowest weight and high at my heaviest with no significant change correlating with weight). I really understand why people who are very heavy are reluctant to go to doctors, because some of them have such a fat shaming attitude that they scare away patients!

Last edited by guacamole; 02-11-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #5  
mossfootrunner!

This is so tragically true, Guac. An interesting example:

My best friend is naturally tiny. She's about five feet and less than 50k. Coincidentally, we both strained our necks at the same time and had exactly the same symptoms. She got physiotherapy, I got told "Well at your weight, no wonder..."

Last edited by Magicsusan; 02-11-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Inability to string together a coherent sentence in my native language on the first try.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #6  

I had something similar. At my high weight, I complained of neck and back pain and pointed to the general location, and my doctor said, "You won't want to hear this...but it's fat. The problem is your weight." Cut to a few years and many pounds off later, I complained of the same pain and got sent to physical therapy. I actually have another script for physical therapy in my bag, I just need to set up the appointments. When you are fat, every health condition you have is attributed to being fat. When you are thin, the doctors actually look into the reason behind the symptoms that aren't weight related.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #7  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

I hope you all won't mind a 30 something here, but I've seen Nicole's video and Whitney's response, which was great. I understand that Nicole markets herself as some sort of comedienne/entertainer, but to be honest, she's not very clever and not very funny.

I have to add this about doctors:

When I was 24, I had my gallbladder removed. I went to the emergency room, with lots of pain...the resident came by after I had a sonogram and bloodwork, and told me that my gallbladder needed to come out soon. She then said, "wait, how old are you?". Her response to me when I told her that was "you don't quite fit the four 'f's..." I asked her what this meant. She said "female, forty, fat, and flatulent". I looked at her horrified and told her that her bedside manner sucked.

Doctors definitely fat shame.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:26 AM   #8  
mossfootrunner!

*sigh.*

What is it with so many humans? Seems like so many need someone they can poop on so they can feel superior.

(As an addendem, I've often thought I'd like to make a satirical cartoon or something where athletes-many of whom get injured a lot!- would face the same problem. "Well, yes, Ms. Smith, I could help you with your tennis elbow, but really, it's your own fault for playing tennis all the time.")

Last edited by Magicsusan; 02-12-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #9  

fillupthesky - ouch! Nice to know they have all these inside jokes and uncomplimentary assessments of us. Also, their definition of obese doesn't seem to show a full picture. They go by straight BMI, which is strictly a numbers game. They don't take into account that some larger people exercise, eat right, and are still chunky. I'm not saying that most people who weigh 500lbs are eating carrots, spinach, and doing pilates, but when I, at 172 lbs walk into a doctor's office I shouldn't be treated like the fat lady at a freak show! That's how I've felt seeing the world "obesity" listed as a condition on all my lab/test orders. It's really crazy. I almost feel a sense of comfort when I encounter a health care professional who is a bit thick around the middle. Most of my doctors are thin.