Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-07-2015, 05:46 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat December 7 - December 13

Happy First day of Hanukhah to those who celebrate.

The weather turned out warm for our late Fall bird walk looking for ducks migrating through. We did see a Red-tailed Hawk only about 20 feet from our noses - a juvenile too naive to be frightened of a bunch of humans.

This week's challenge is to avoid all the holiday treats that suddenly appear everywhere.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:28 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning! It's warm here too, with a southerly wind. There were atrocious winds, rain and flooding over the weekend.

I had a mince pie on Saturday. That's been all so far in the Festive and Celebratory Dept. I'm losing weight nicely and I want it to continue.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I understand seeing hawks is a sign of good fortune, Bill.

Good going, Birchie, keep it up!

We had a good weekend. DH's cousin was in town so we went to lunch to see him and his wife. Then I got most of the Christmas presents wrapped Saturday and DH got the lights up outside, but we didn't have time to decorate the house. Sunday we were in a golf tournament (came in last, but we had fun). Fixed a nice hearty risotto for dinner last night.

I made the most interesting chili Saturday night--butternut squash and black bean chili. The interesting part was the seasoning. Besides chili powder, it also called for cinnamon which was really good in it. We have leftovers for two lunches this week.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #4  
Workin' It

Allison - I really like cinnamon with butternut squash, I bet that was good.

Birchie - hope the weather is better today, and good job!

Bill -I know nothing about bird watching, but it seems so peaceful. Good luck with the holiday treats, I know I need it, too.

Good start to the day today - 6.5 miles at the park, and to work on time. I hate getting up so early, but I do like having exercise done before nine.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #5  
in development

Thanks! I'm afraid it's two mince pies now but that's not terribly bad.

Allison, I agree about cinnamon with butternut squash. Sage is lovely too.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon-- quit running! I'll never catch you in the fitbit challenges! Just kidding-- you're doing awesome!

We lit the candles last night for the first night of Hanukkah. The menorah is in our bedroom for now as that is where dh is holed up for now.

I made it to work this morning. Got up at 4:45 to get myself, dh and dogs ready before I left and I still didn't leave until 7:00. Phew... Got to work and realized I forgot to put dh's crutches where he could reach them. He somehow got them so he must be improving. We got him in the shower yesterday-- that was interesting to say the least-- took almost an hour with me in there with him. I'm hoping he can sponge bathe for a couple of days until we try that again. Haven't tried the stairs yet. He sees no reason to come downstairs at the moment. Though he was bemoaning the fact that the coffee I made for him was gone.

He still has very little of an appetite so I suspect he will lose a fair amount of weight during recovery. He needs to lose a bit so I'm not too unhappy about that. My weight is finally under my redline and I hope it stays there... I'm so busy running up and down the stairs taking care of him that I'm getting my workouts in without the gym. Which is good because I don't think I'll go to the gym after leaving him alone all day....

I am so tempted to stress eat and I'm trying to remind myself that I want to stay under my redline. I was on the verge of tears or crying a lot over the weekend... I kept doing dumb things....

I'm hoping a week from now dh is much improved and much more independent.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #7  

My fitbit tells me how much sleep I get, how restless I am, how many times I wake up etc. Last night I was apparently only asleep for 3 hours and 4 minutes-- awake 3 times, restless 17 times, and awake or restless for 3 hours, 30 minutes. I want to crawl under a rock. Dh is so restless (and he needs help during the night) that I'm constantly dreaming or awake. I'm on the verge of tears. I know it will get better and I know he's frustrated. I *think* I'm going to yoga today-- as much as I don't want to leave him after he's been alone all day, my body and my sanity need it.

My house is a wreck, I need to grocery shop.... Do Christmas cards, wrap and buy gifts, mail gifts....

And my weight was up today. Joy.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #8  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I need to grocery shop....
Could you do this online and get it delivered?
Old 12-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #9  
Workin' It

Michele - do you have anyone around who could sit with DH so you can get to yoga? You have to take care of yourself or you won't be able to take care of him.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This is exactly why rehab hospitals exist. I'm surprised one was not suggested to you, Michele.

If you don't have friends who can help, perhaps call a local home nurses or home health care company? It is not cheap, but it is better than you melting down completely.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #11  

He is able to get around, albeit not much and not quickly. He is improving. I'm just tired. He can get from the bed to the bathroom, and to the recliner in the bedroom. Luckily he has very good upper body strength which helps. He *thinks* he's ready to come downstairs tonight for dinner. We will see.... He also thinks he'll be ready Friday to go to sushi (right around the corner from us).... So, maybe he feels quite a bit better? I'm just a light sleeper so I'm not rested and very tired.

I'll survive.... just venting a bit because I don't want to complain to him as he is already unhappy to be so reliable on me for now. And I'm thanking God that it's only temporary....
Old 12-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #12  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Michele -- sounds like DH would be completely supportive if you took an hour and a half or two for yourself. (Heck, he might even welcome it, if he thinks he's being a burden.) Regardless, it sounds like the worst is over.

I haven't been sleeping well, either. This morning I considered it a minor victory that I didn't wake up until 5. I even thought I might be able to get back to sleep, except for the cattens. (Our "teenage" cats: not cute fuzzy kittens anymore, but the three brain cells that they will eventually have as adults aren't fully formed yet.) They hear me start to wake up, and if the bedroom door is closed, scratch at it until I get up to show them where their food dish is. If the door is open, they have a long, drawn out, three-way wrestling match between Doofus, Dipstick*, and KAW's Feet until I get up and show them where their food dish is. Because, you know, the food dish might have grown legs and walked somewhere else over night...

*Real names are disguised for anonymity. Of course, with cats, it doesn't matter what you call them because they are going to ignore you anyway.

Had a bad day on the diet yesterday, I'd say the first really bad day in 8 weeks. Back on the horse today.

//kaw

Last edited by kaw; 12-09-2015 at 06:23 AM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've actually been sleeping quite well, despite having FOUR cats to deal with. One rarely makes any noise, one likes to pounce on us at various times of the night (alternating that with snuggling), one sometimes snuggles or stays away entirely and the fourth opines loudly at various times of the night. I think he's the worst for sleeping. Even on the other side of the house I can hear him. I ought to record it some time. It's really bad.

Looking forward to this weekend when DS will come home for the holidays. And next weekend when DD and SIL will come for a Saturday to enjoy our TV. Yeah, they don't get some NFL station and we do and their team is playing so they'll come to "visit" us and watch the game.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #14  
Workin' It

I haven't been sleeping week for a while. We have only one cat, and we have to sleep with the door closed to keep her from keeping us awake all night. She doesn't keep me awake, but everything else does. I did get in new pillows on Monday night and I LOVE them. I've slept better the last two nights, hoping it keeps improving.

Allison - my cat wails like that, too.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #15  

kaw-- do you have three cats that are all the same age? That sounds both fun and challenging! My two kitties are siblings and are now 13. They do sometimes do the wailing thing for no reason. They are Tonkinese which is a cross between a Siamese and a Burmese so they can HOWL like the Siamese.

My dd's cat will wail that he's out of food and his bowl is still full. She has to show him there is still food there.... So... yeah.... not too bright....

I got probably an hour more sleep last night. Fitbit says 4 hours 35 minutes vs. the 3 hours 4 minutes the night before so I feel less like spontaneously crying today.

Dh did encourage me to go to yoga and I did. It was wonderful. A brand new teacher to the studio and she was excellent. Now, unfortunately, I will probably not make the gym or yoga for a few days as I don't want to keep leaving dh. He has earlier PT today at the house so I need to be home for that to let her in and hide the dogs-- she is afraid of Dobermans which doesn't help Ellie, who is afraid of people! We are expecting a big storm that is supposed to start tomorrow so hopefully I can take the dogs for a long walk while the PT is here... get some exercise that way....

You all can get a chuckle at my expense.... Dagmar-- you should relate.... but maybe you are smarter than me....
Walked both dogs together this morning which is always a challenge....
Dewey pooped and I had forgotten my cellphone (for a flashlight)... it was still fairly dark and I'm tromping around this person's yard looking for the poo. Both dogs are spinning in circles on their leashes while I look in vain. I finally look on the bottom of my shoe... there it is! Did my best to get it off and walked home. Got home and looked at the other shoe-- there is the rest of it. Awesome. At least I didn't leave any in the person's yard....

Weight is the same.... was hoping for a little more off but I know stress and lack of sleep aren't helping.